I got this half stack for free...I realize everyone here hates these amps. I have played alot of amps and I have to say..it genuinely does not sound as bad as you guys make it out to be. I play an Eclipse II through a Boss MT-2 pedal and it sounds pretty damn good...I also played my Hamer through an MT-2 in this amp and it sounds pretty damn good as well. This was the opinion of a couple friends whom have good amps.

This thread isn't an argument though as to whether this amp is good..or w.e....my question is. The cabinet that comes with the MG100fx...is it possible for me to run another Marshall through it...so long as the watts are the same?...

I don't want to buy a whole different stack...I'd like to just upgrade the head in the future and keep the cab...will that work?
Yes it will most likely work, but those MG cabs are appalling.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
The wattage and resistance (ohms) must be the same.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
These cab arent great quality . Make of cheap MDF , cheap material , the cab will rattle at high volume .

Im talking by experience cause ive one of these marshall avt/valvestate 3/4 size cabinet . theyre lightweight , but theyre also very low quality ( and im talking about my valvestate which was twice better than your mg )

1x12 with a good celestion ( like a vintage 30 , gt-75 ) blow away easily a 4x12 mg cabinet with the cheap celestion/marshall made speakers .

sell it and grab a good cab , be it a 1x12 or 2x12 , it will blow away your Mg cab .
Bedroom rock star :

- Gibson Les paul Standard 2001 Honeyburst .
- Agile 3200 Slim
I must have zero ear..because I don't hear the "appalling" sound you guys do..

Perhaps when I blast this thing it will sound like shit...but at around 5-6 volume which is pretty high...it sounded pretty damn good...this was with a guitar with EMGs and a a boss MT-2 pedal though...that may be why.
Quote by burritosaregood
I must have zero ear..because I don't hear the "appalling" sound you guys do..

Perhaps when I blast this thing it will sound like shit...but at around 5-6 volume which is pretty high...it sounded pretty damn good...this was with a guitar with EMGs and a a boss MT-2 pedal though...that may be why.

If anything that made mine worse. I will admit though they aren't the toneless monstrosities people make them out to be. Most people's problems are there are better things for the price & marshall cut corners to save cost.

But you can get a decent tone out of them. What really brings it out of the poor tone ditch is a Blackstar HT-Dist pedal, the blackstar really gives the amp more character.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by SimplyBen
If anything that made mine worse. I will admit though they aren't the toneless monstrosities people make them out to be. Most people's problems are there are better things for the price & marshall cut corners to save cost.

But you can get a decent tone out of them. What really brings it out of the poor tone ditch is a Blackstar HT-Dist pedal, the blackstar really gives the amp more character.

I'll check that pedal out man thanks for the heads up!
im proud to say i love my marshall mg100, its a fantastic amp, the cabs are a little shakey tho, even the cheap behringers can out do them
The cabs are pretty bad...I swapped speakers in mine and I thought it sounded good, until I tried a Mesa cabinet with the same speakers. Put the stock speakers back in the MG cab, sold the V30s and sold the MG cab...bought a Mesa oversized 412. Haven't looked back
It's not that the MG's sound THAT bad. It's that for the money you spend (not in your case obviously) on the higher-wattage ones, you can get far superior amps.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Agree on everything else here, the MG cabs are cheap, undersized MDF crap.

If you can score a set of four used speakers on eBay it might be worth keeping, the MG cabs are useful since they're much smaller than a typical 4x12, and thus can often fit in a car boot. I'd personally rather have a quality 2x12 for that though.

If you got it for free, stick it on eBay and you can turn a nice profit on it, perhaps enough for a decent tube combo.
EMG's, MT-2, and MG100.

..god damnit.
~~~~~~
LTD EC-256 - AGED VINTAGE BLACK
Schecter C-1 Plus - BLACK CHERRY
Peavey 6505+ 112
BOSS NS2
DigiTech Bad Monkey OD
Maxon SD9

~~~~~~
Quote by plunkett
EMG's, MT-2, and MG100.

..god damnit.

hahahaha +1
what kind of palm muting is best for metal?
cut off some guys hand and place it under the strings. brutal low end bro.
Quote by plunkett
EMG's, MT-2, and MG100.

..god damnit.

Well, it's 2/3rds good.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by burritosaregood
I don't want to buy a whole different stack...I'd like to just upgrade the head in the future and keep the cab...will that work?

yes and no.

as stated, they aren't the best cabs by any means.

if you are happy with the tone, that's all that matters.

if you want to sell it later, you can make something to put towards another amp.

so it's really all win. nicely done.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
When we say they are terrible is when somebody is actually going to pay retail price for one. As your was free little different story. But still should make you think how good can the tone be when somebody is willing to GIVE you something that costs 600$ new.
To answer your question, yes you can plug different heads into the cab.

You shouldn't though...just get a new cab!
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by STABxYOU
Well, it's 2/3rds good.

EMG's are okay, what's the other thing?
~~~~~~
LTD EC-256 - AGED VINTAGE BLACK
Schecter C-1 Plus - BLACK CHERRY
Peavey 6505+ 112
BOSS NS2
DigiTech Bad Monkey OD
Maxon SD9

~~~~~~
Good choice of cab, Zak Wylde uses the MG cabinet and so do a lot or pro's
Quote by Vannutsack
Good choice of cab, Zak Wylde uses the MG cabinet and so do a lot or pro's

wtf?! MGs are useless for anything but small practice amps. You can't gig with one- it sounds like total shit when cranked above like 2. MG100s or any MG above about 15w are a total waste of time. If you've got it for free then sell it and buy a decent tube amp with the money.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
matching ohms is more important than watts, especially as its solid state.

For free thats a pretty good deal. The stock speakers in the cab are garbage though. I plugged my Vox AD50VT into one and it made the Vox sound like shit.

But if you changed out the speakers, it would be an excellent stack to mess around with, especially since it's free.
Zakk Wylde uses an MG Cab..

That just broke my lulz-o-meter.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by Redstar5wp
wtf?! MGs are useless for anything but small practice amps. You can't gig with one- it sounds like total shit when cranked above like 2. MG100s or any MG above about 15w are a total waste of time. If you've got it for free then sell it and buy a decent tube amp with the money.

You sound like a dude who probably never played an MG. Calm the **** down, son. It's not your amp.
Quote by plunkett
EMG's are okay, what's the other thing?

EMGs are good.

And as a former Metal Zone hater, I have to admit MT-2s are good at one kinda specific tone. It's pretty much half of a good melodeath tone (the other half being the same amp with an HM-2 or HM-3 on it, for the other channel).
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by NotRandyRhoads
You sound like a dude who probably never played an MG. Calm the **** down, son. It's not your amp.

I own one and have done so for 9 years. I've been in bands where the other guitarists have used both the MG50 and MG100. They also use them at the studio I rehearse at. The low watt amps are good practice/starter amps but thats it.
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Dude you got ripped off.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab