So, I've decided it's time for a tube amp. Why now? I've got a gig in a month. I can't come up with more than 300 bucks by then, so I'm looking on a budget.

The Raven RG200 looked like the best contender. Can anyone give me feedback on the amp/better amps for the same price?

Failedit: This isn't a tube amp, is it?
Quote by Grindar
Said "mmmmgrbllll?", and proceed to fornicate with the omelets.

Quote by magnus_maximus
I don't know whether to laugh, cry or ejaculate.
Last edited by TwilightX at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by TwilightX
So, I've decided it's time for a tube amp. Why now? I've got a gig in a month. I can't come up with more than 300 bucks by then, so I'm looking on a budget.

The Raven RG200 looked like the best contender. Can anyone give me feedback on the amp/better amps for the same price?

Failedit: This isn't a tube amp, is it?

No, it's not a tube amp, but what kind of music do you like to play?
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Quote by slash4114

No, it's not a tube amp, but what kind of music do you like to play?

Well, I do all from Ska to Metal. The only reason I wanna go to Tubes is because I need to run effects through my amp. I mean, mainly it'll just be switching from clean to heavy, but I'd like to use a Phaser and Wah as well.
Quote by Grindar
Said "mmmmgrbllll?", and proceed to fornicate with the omelets.

Quote by magnus_maximus
I don't know whether to laugh, cry or ejaculate.
Your budget is 300 bucks?

It's gonna be tough to find anything gig-worthy for less than 300 without going WAY used.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
You might get lucky and find a used Peavey Classic 30 on Ebay for roughly 300. It's only 30 watts, but don't let it fool you, it's pretty loud and it sounds great for the price (way better than the raven). I suggest going to a guitar shop and trying out some different options if possible. You don't want to buy something and end up not liking it in 3 days.
Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"

Last edited by slash4114 at Jan 9, 2010,
Quote by slash4114
You might get lucky and find a used Peavey Classic 30 on Ebay for roughly 300. It's only 30 watts, but don't let it fool you, it's pretty loud and it sounds great for the price (way better than the raven will). I suggest going to a guitar shop and trying out some different options if possible. You don't want to buy something and end up not liking it in 3 days.

This, most definitely.

You never really know that you'll like something until you have it in your hands. For example, while slash4114 recommends a Peavey Classic 30, I would never recommend one after trying one because, for some reason unknown to me, I hate them.

To me they sound farty, weak and undefined. Sure, the tube tone is there but it just doesn't have the charisma to produce good tone. I mean, when I played it I could tell that it was obviously tube but then I was like, "That's it? That's the raved-about Peavey Classic 30?"
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
This, most definitely.

You never really know that you'll like something until you have it in your hands. For example, while slash4114 recommends a Peavey Classic 30, I would never recommend one after trying one because, for some reason unknown to me, I hate them.

To me they sound farty, weak and undefined. Sure, the tube tone is there but it just doesn't have the charisma to produce good tone. I mean, when I played it I could tell that it was obviously tube but then I was like, "That's it? That's the raved-about Peavey Classic 30?"

I find that they sound great for the price
You aren't going to get much better for 300 bucks, IMHO.
Quote by musicjunkie207

B-52 At-112
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by JayT44
B-52 At-112

+1

This should have cleans for ska...and crunch for metal. The Peavey Classic option was a good one too...it can handle most hard rock and some metal...but you will need an OD to get deep into metal territory.
Quote by dudetheman
Your budget is 300 bucks?

It's gonna be tough to find anything gig-worthy for less than 300 without going WAY used.

Classic 30 is right around that price range on the used market.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.