Hey, ive been playin guitar now for almost a year and relly im always sort of dissapointed wit my playin, i always feel like i shud be better at this stage... so i was wondering, how good is the average player after about 10 months of picking up a guitar? ofcourse it depends on the time put in but lets say in general for omeone wit ok classes and a few hours of work every day.
after ten months you should be able to play Beethovens 5th in it's entirety without difficulty, if you can't then you should probably just give up now.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I hate it when people judge the ability of others by the amount of time they've been playing.

I've been playing for five years now and I've met tons of guys who only had a year or two under their belt and could play circles around me. At the same time, I've met people who've been playing for 10+ years who still aren't all that great.

Everyone learns at different paces.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dgunblatt
Hey, ive been playin guitar now for almost a year and relly im always sort of dissapointed wit my playin, i always feel like i shud be better at this stage... so i was wondering, how good is the average player after about 10 months of picking up a guitar? ofcourse it depends on the time put in but lets say in general for omeone wit ok classes and a few hours of work every day.

I've been playing for six or seven years and I'm still learning... in fact I've met people in their late 50s/early 70s who've been playing for most of their lives who still say they're learning... just keep playing, you never stop learning.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
There's nowhere you have to be. Just play your guitar and have fun playing it. Music isn't a competition.
kill all humans
after one year, i thought i was good, but most people who'd played that long were better.

Actually i've played for 6 years, and i see some hxc young'ns who beat the helll out of me in jsut a year.
you should at least be able to play the instrument
any more specific wont help because everyone learns at a different pace
To follow the general consensus of this thread:

There is no where you NEED to be.

I've been playing guitar for about 4 years, but some people that have been playing for only a year or so can easily out play me.

On the other hand, I've been playing bass for only a few months, but can outplay some bass players that have been playing for longer.

Everyone's different at different things.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
Everyones different. Like I felt really accomplished after one year. My friend not so much. Its not about how much years. Its about how much hours of practice a day you put into it during that year
I've been playing for almost 5 years and I'm mediocre. Persistance is key
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by cornmancer
1) Wrong forum
2) lrn 2 grammer
3) *reported*
4)

irony ftw.

and TS, it's not about the number of years you've been playing. It's about the number of hours.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Everyone makes music a competition, it isn't. Just do what you do, don't care what anyone else says, and don't say anything about anyone else. After a year you should be able to riff pretty decently and you should have a decent knowledge on how the instrument works and how to get good tones. However, you're still probably at the point where you'll write something one day and look back on it two weeks later and laugh at how bad you were and how you can write something much better now.