I have been challenged by my father to try to find some Modern Rock music (2006-2010) that sounds like the great music of yesterday.

Since I was little my father would always put on the classic rock radio station so I would learn the great songs of the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Classic Rock was the main reason I started to play guitar. Today he was wondering what happened to all of the "Musical Geniuses" Such as Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, and Led Zeppelin. He told me that back when he was my age a NEW good song would come out almost every day.

He finds it sad that My Generation is only making glorified lollipop shop music.

He told me to try to find some sort of underground OR mainstream band that sounds like Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, (Need I say more??? )

As Neil Young Said, Rock and Roll can never die

PLEASE HELP IN MY QUEST FOR REAL MUSIC!!!!!
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
My Morning Jacket
The Black Keys
Radiohead
Midlake
Porcupine Tree
Fleet Foxes
Wilco

If your father keeps an open mind, he should find at least something to like from one of the above.
Short rant:
If he wants music identical to the bands from a few decades ago, he should just keep listening to them without looking for anything new. It's his own loss. If music were to regurgitate the same stuff from decade to decade, everybody would complain that nothing's changing, but if it changes people will complain that it's not as tr00 as the music from years ago. If he's looked hard and can't find ANYTHING from modern music he likes, he's either not trying hard enough or he's really closed-minded.
Also, what generation hasn't made sugar-coated pop music? If he seriously thinks that everything right now is pop and everything back then was pure musical genius, he's either incredibly ignorant or just stupid. Furthermore, who decides what's "real music" and what isn't? There's nothing more frustrating than being told that there's no good music around these days by completely ignorant, elitist idiots. I'm not a fan of a lot of the stuff on the radio these days (indie, r&b, rap), but I've been able to find good artists I like from this past decade, and even artists I like in those genres.
Rant over

Get him the Them Crooked Vultures album. It's not as Zeppelin/Sabbath-esque (although it does have John Paul Jones on it) as a lot of stuff that's been mentioned, but it does have great musicianship.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by Karvid
Get him the Them Crooked Vultures album. It's not as Zeppelin/Sabbath-esque (although it does have John Paul Jones on it) as a lot of stuff that's been mentioned, but it does have great musicianship.

this.

Also, Queens of the Stone Age sometimes has that 60's-70's Creamish feel to it, so he should try listening to Songs for the Deaf or Rated R.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
The Answer
Black Stone Cherry
The Parlor Mob
Airbourne
Silvertide
Chickenfoot
Black Keys
Black Tide
Dirty Sweet
Government Mule (well, they're not that new, but still good!)
Heavens Basement
Jaded Sun
Jet
Joanne Shaw Taylor
Oli Brown Band
Philip Sayce
The Redwalls
Rose Hill Drive
Seasick Steve
The Steepwater Band
Stone Gods

There are more, but thats all I can think of at the moment
Peace Out, Party On!

Amp fund: £200 and counting =0
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Gov't Mule
Umphrey's McGee
Lotus
Joe Bonamassa
The Derek Trucks Band
Heaven & Hell
Duff McKagan's Loaded

He'll probably find something he likes out of that list.
Back Door Slam, one of the rawest blues sounds of this generation.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by Karvid
Short rant:
If he wants music identical to the bands from a few decades ago, he should just keep listening to them without looking for anything new. It's his own loss. If music were to regurgitate the same stuff from decade to decade, everybody would complain that nothing's changing, but if it changes people will complain that it's not as tr00 as the music from years ago. If he's looked hard and can't find ANYTHING from modern music he likes, he's either not trying hard enough or he's really closed-minded.
Also, what generation hasn't made sugar-coated pop music? If he seriously thinks that everything right now is pop and everything back then was pure musical genius, he's either incredibly ignorant or just stupid. Furthermore, who decides what's "real music" and what isn't? There's nothing more frustrating than being told that there's no good music around these days by completely ignorant, elitist idiots. I'm not a fan of a lot of the stuff on the radio these days (indie, r&b, rap), but I've been able to find good artists I like from this past decade, and even artists I like in those genres.
Rant over

Completely agree, listen to this guy
Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker, and Herbie Hancock are all jazz artists. they all came out during different eras. all of there music is radically different. i love all three artists. they have all had a huge impact on jazz music.

however, if jazz never changed after duke ellington came out, we would still be in big band/swing era. the world would have never heard of miles davis, be bop, or jazz fusion.

tell your dad, if every band still sounded like REO speedwagon and bon jovi, i and everyone else will kill themselves. that would suck.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
the raconteurs...guranteed.
radio moscow, and pretty much everything mentioned above.
George Gershwin is a pretty good one to look into.
Quote by hard_rock101
if i started a brutal death metal band, id call it Bleeding Asshole
Quote by abdulalhazred
I really don't know whether I hope this is a troll thread or not....... I mean...either he raped a girl
Or thinks it's ****ing hilarious to joke about it.
He's a monster either way.
I agree with the guy that said stick to the 70's if you want 70's music but yeah there are still a lot of bands around right now that are Zep, Sabbath, Free, Aerosmith, Purple-esque.
Definitely bands that sound like that period of rock (which is still f**king hard to beat!) and around around these days are bands like
Wolfmother (especially on the 1st album)
The Answer
Parlor Mob
Jaded Sun
Black Crowes (Like the guy above said, been around but still releasing new music)
The Raconteurs
White Stripes
Them Crooked Vultures
Priestess
Airborne
Chickenfoot (although are seasoned pros around the scene these days, like TCV)

These have mostly/all been said but definitely in the vein of 60's and 70's rock, some with a dose of more modern touches of grunge and the like.
also. buy him The Dead Weather's 'Horehound' (if he listens to vinyl get it on vinyl)...tell him to keep an open mind, but it may explode due to their ferocity.
Quote by guitarhero_764
Tell him that Aerosmith are exactly the same band as Nickelback except 30 years earlier.

You Know You Want To
Quote by halvies
Wolfmother are very much like black sabbath

Not sure if you're serious , but

Any way, if you want a good new band that sounds like Sabbath, check out The Sword.
Albums I Must Obtain
Call me Paul. I prefer that.
Quote by fretsonfire74
I think you're my soulmate
just give him a JET cd and that will keep him quiet. cant wait to see them march 6th
Gear:
Fender MIM Strat SD Hot Rails in bridge
SX Thinline Tele
GFS Tuner Pedal
GGG Clean Boost
Barber Dirty Bomb
Boss GE-7
Ibanez SC-10 Chorus
Peavey Classic 30
I remember my dad listing to the classic rock station when I was in 2nd/3rd Grade (1994-96)(he still listens to it now). My dad told me about the Beatles, the Eagles and Elton John when I was in 2nd Grade. When I was in 2nd/3rd Grade, I heard a lot of rock songs from the 1960s/70s (that's what classic rock stations were playing in the mid/late 1990s), but I wasn't aware of when the songs were first released. I remember hearing Queen's "We Will Rock You"/"We Are the Champions" when I was in 2nd Grade, but I didn't know who the artist was and I had not heard of Queen. Now classic rock stations play 1980s songs by artists like U2, REM, Bon Jovi and Def Leppard (I don't know when that started, probably around 2004-05). Since classic rock stations were already playing Queen's "We Will Rock You"/"We Are the Champions" in the winter/spring of 1995 (17 years after it was first released in October 1977), I wonder why they still won't play the hits from Nirvana's Nevermind (released 9/24/1991) or Pearl Jam's Ten (released 8/27/1991) as both Nevermind and Ten are almost 20 years old now, older than Queen's "We Will Rock You"/"We Are the Champions" was in 1995. With that being said, I think it makes perfect sense for classic rock stations to include songs from 1991-93. I have tried to encourage my dad to try listing to modern rock from the 1990s onward, but he thinks that "today's music ain't got the same soul" and still "likes that old time rock and roll" from the 1960s/70s. I think my dad is "old fashioned and over the hill" and not with it.