I have been challenged by my father to try to find some Modern Rock music (2006-2010) that sounds like the great music of yesterday.

Since I was little my father would always put on the classic rock radio station so I would learn the great songs of the 60s, 70s, and 80s. Classic Rock was the main reason I started to play guitar. Today he was wondering what happened to all of the "Musical Geniuses" Such as Pink Floyd, Aerosmith, and Led Zeppelin. He told me that back when he was my age a NEW good song would come out almost every day.

He finds it sad that My Generation is only making glorified lollipop shop music.

He told me to try to find some sort of underground OR mainstream band that sounds like Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, (Need I say more??? )

As Neil Young Said, Rock and Roll can never die

PLEASE HELP IN MY QUEST FOR REAL MUSIC!!!!!

P.S. I doubled post because Modern Rock and Classic Rock is like apples and oranges so I wanted a second oppinion
Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Them Crooked vultures
Stone Temple Pilots
Foo fighters
Wolfmother
Coheed and Cambria
etc.
Black Crowes sound a lot like the Stones IMO and their first album was just a straight up blues rock album

Phish was hugely influenced by King Crimson, Yes, Zappa and other classic prog rock bands and it shows.

moe.
Umphrey's McGee (sorta)
Last edited by ledhed68 at Jan 9, 2010,
This is incredibly relevant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXKo4z7GS78

Edit: Your dad is incredibly naive. Music evolves.
last.fm
"If I could prove by logic that you would die in five minutes, I should be sorry you were going to die, but my sorrow would be very much mitigated by pleasure in the proof."
G.H. Hardy
Last edited by d3adh3adch3mist at Jan 9, 2010,
Show him Jet! They're criticized for ripping off a lot of the old classic rock bands all the time...I love anyways.
Quote by d3adh3adch3mist
This is incredibly relevant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXKo4z7GS78

Edit: Your dad is incredibly naive. Music evolves.

Actually Your Wrong. It is not only my dad who thinks this, I do also. Just because my dad and I don't CONFORM TO SOCIETY and decided to listen to Blink 182 and Fall Out Boy doesn't mean were naive. As you can see there are many people who haven't "Evolved" to todays music

Music doesn't evolve, we evolve and we change our tastes.

Once for an experiment I changed the name of a PINK FLOYD SONG (Shine on You Crazy Diamond) to some no name band from 2009 and I played it for my friend and he though it sounded incredible.

THEN I told him it was Floyd and he walked away with disgust.

Gear:
Fender FSR Standard Stratocaster SSS (MIM Gilmour Black Strat) -
Agile AL-2000 CSB -
Fender Super Champ XD -
Homemade Talkbox -
THE BORG COLLECTIVE
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover
Actually Your Wrong. It is not only my dad who thinks this, I do also. Just because my dad and I don't CONFORM TO SOCIETY and decided to listen to Blink 182 and Fall Out Boy doesn't mean were naive. As you can see there are many people who haven't "Evolved" to todays music

Once for an experiment I changed the name of a PINK FLOYD SONG (Shine on You Crazy Diamond) to some no name band from 2009 and I played it for my friend and he though it sounded incredible.

O man, this statement brings me back, to the way I thought in middle school.
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover

If you think Blink 182 and Fall Out Boy represent modern rock then you ARE naive.

90's were the best though(better than the 70's and 80's too). It's gone a bit downhill since then though.
Quote by Joe-Floyd-lover

Except music obviously does evolve. That's why there wasn't punk before the late 70s or emo before the mid 90s. What do you think, every style of music simoly began existing simultaneously?

...music creationism, lul.
Quote by ledhed68
Black Crowes sound a lot like the Stones and The Faces IMO and their first album was just a straight up blues rock album
Fixed. There's obviously a lot of Stones in the Crowes, but you have to include The Faces as well.

First, I created a second recommendation thread with this exact purpose.

Second, my top two recommendations are The Black Crowes and Davy Knowles (Back Door Slam). The Crowes are celebrating their 20th anniversary this year, so they're not exactly new, but they're a great band any way you look at it. Davy Knowles, on the other hand, is young and fresh, and he kicks fucking ass.

Third, here are a few more...

Gov't Mule
The Raconteurs
The Black Keys (I'd also recommend Dan Auerbach's first solo album)
Cry of Love
Burning Tree (if you can find the album)
Chris Robinson & New Earth Mud
Rich Robinson
Marc Ford
Derek Trucks Band
Hill Country Revue
North Mississippi All Stars

Quote by metalfan#3
The Veils, Frightened Rabbit, Okkervil River.

The Veils are like a dirty-rock band, and the latter two would be like classic folk-rock crossed with indie.
I generally like your recommendations, so I've noted these for personal use. Thanks.

***CLOSED***

How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.