Okay, so I have a Behringer BX4500 head (rated 4 ohm minimum) and a BB4x10 cab (rated at 4 ohms). I want to add a 1x15 (8 ohms) and make it a full stack, but I cannot do that with this current amp because it will drop below 4 ohms total.

So what's my best option? I can get a power amp rated down to 2 ohms (such as the Europower 1500) and use that with both cabinets, right? But if I use that, should I get rid of the current head (because it would be redundant)? I already use a Bass POD pedal board for effects, so if I use a power amp to power the cabinets then I shouldn't need to bother with the BX4500 anymore, right?

Any comments on this? I mean, what do you do when you want to have 2 cabinets but your amp's ohms don't go low enough? Without being able to try it out beforehand, what kind of sound quality would I be looking at by using just the power amp and my effects board (or a pre-amp like a Sansamp) versus the BX4500 and the power amp together?

Please help! Thanks guys!
Personally, I bought an amp that I knew would be able to do what I would want it to do.

But anyway... I have no Idea how your power amp idea would sound but in theory it is a sound idea.

And if it was me, I'd be looking to get rid of that Behringer asap anyway.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
So you're thinking about dropping your head and just running a power amp? You'll need a DI box to do this or a rackmount preamp. You can use it without a preamp but you won't be able to dial in any tones and you will not get the full volume out of the amp.

Personally I'd look for a new bass amp head that can go to 2 ohms and start from there.

EDIT: I didn't look at specs but make sure that your cabs can handle the amount of wattage you'll be getting....since you understand the ohms thing this is probably obvious.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
I agree with gilly_90, buy an amp that will do exactly what you want it to do. If you're prepared to drop $300 on a power amp, you'd be much better off to save up, sell your current head and buy a head that can power two 4 ohm cabs. That will allow you the option of using the head's EQ in addition to the POD, instead of being dependent upon the POD as your preamp.
Sell the 4 ohm cab and replace it with an 8
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea