The discontinued John petrucci sig ibanez model.
I'm pretty set concerning what type pick ups and the paint job to get, but I'm not sure which model ibanez I can get that'd be closest in look and make to the jpm.
Also, I'd like to have the pick ups direct mounted, with no pick up guards or scratch plate. And preferably having no middle single coil pick up. I don't care about the knob placements or the pick up selector switch.
The rg series look pretty similar but I can't find one without the pick up guards
any help would be appreciated
Which one in particular were you looking to recreate? Most RG's have ring mounted pickups, but if you're painting it you can easily fill up the ring holes and direct mount the pickups. An RG 520 has no middle pickup, and would make a perfect candidate for a JPM replica.
If you want to make the JPM90HAM, the one with the flamed maple top, its basically exactly the same as an RG3120, but has the patterned top.
I have an rg370 dx, I was thinking of selling it, but you mentioned removing pick up rings.
I took it to some guy that does custom work and he said you wouldn't able to set up direct mounting.
Anyway, I dislike the middle pick up too, I was thinking of getting a prestige series one, and customising that.
Also, I forgot to mention the fret markers. I'd like them to be the offset fret markers
The 3120 has all that; Direct mounted pickups, same trem as the JPM, offset dots, but it has a flamed maple top so would really be a waste to paint over that. You could just get one of them and not have the JPM graphics? It'd still look cool.
I could do without the offset inlays but the lack of pick up rings and no single coil is a must, and the general shape of it ofcourse
Quote by littlephil
The 3120 has all that; Direct mounted pickups, same trem as the JPM, offset dots, but it has a flamed maple top so would really be a waste to paint over that. You could just get one of them and not have the JPM graphics? It'd still look cool.

Or sand off the finish, and do transparent colors to recreate the finish after making a few hundred stencils
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
Or sand off the finish, and do transparent colors to recreate the finish after making a few hundred stencils

You could. I'd love to know how they actually did the 90th Anniversary ones. I think you could probably do it with transparent paper/plastic printed with the pattern, then clearcoated over.

The only Ibanez that come with direct mounted pickups are Prestige or above. Filling the pickup ring holes and direct mounting the pickups is very easy and will work, I dont know why that guy told you it wont. If you're painting it you wont be able to tell at all.
Last edited by littlephil at Jan 10, 2010,
Ok, good news!
I've found a guy that can take off the pick up rings and direct mount them. Also, he does paint work, he said he uses nitro, any info on that?
Also! He said he could remove the middle single coil pick up and have it filled out. The only problem is the offset inlays. He could do them but it'll be costly and risky.
One question though, if I do remove the middle pick up without changing the stock pick ups I have, will I get a different tone with the toggle switch in the middle? Or does that have to be rewired to work.
And why do only the prestige series have direct mounted pickups?