Hey.
Here's the deal, I've been playing guitar for 1 or 2 years now, although when I say playing I mean Googleing the tab for a good song I heard on TV or something and just playing one or two of the easy riffs, so basically I can only play really easy 'sections' of a few songs...

I don't really have the money to spend on lessons but I really really wanna start learning properly, I even got a new Jackson for Christmas (probably not a beginners personal choice but I figured a guitars a guitar and I've been wanting one for like 3 years lol)

There is however one big problem...
Chords, harmonics, scales, vibratos and all the rest of it, it's all just words to me and no matter how hard people explain stuff I just cannot get my head around any of it, I just can't do it... I just about know how to hammer-on/pull off and I even struggle to tremollo pick...

What the heck do I do?
This is a really big dream of mine, to learn how to play but because I just fail I see it as impossible...

Sorry for the exremely long post but I need help

Thanks in advance for any replies...
this website has alot of videos on all the things you mentioned. also youtube has tons of beginner guitar vids, some better than others of course so if u cant find a vid on here youtube would be where to go. I remember when i started and thought some songs were impossible, you will start knocking them down in no time. Its just getting over those first few songs, and youll get them down, get some confidence then you can become as good as you want if you put the time in!

Goodluck!
nothing is impossible

Starting point - get a teacher (can't be stressed enough)

are you the sort of person motivated by theory or would you prefer to play?
If you're motivated by theory or do you just want to play and avoid theory as much as possible?
If you're the former i suggest learning chord and scale constructions and applying them. If (like mot people) you are the latter i recommend learning the shape of a few basic chords like A D E and then finding a bunch of songs that have those chords, get competant with them. Chords makes you sound like "real music" quite quickly, whereas random licks don't

GET A TEACHER!
take one thing at a time i suggest start with learning the musical alphabet
A A# B C C# D D# E F F#
then learn where these^ are on the fretboard
then look up the major scale
then look up chords amd chord formulas
google should help

forgot to mention good luck
Last edited by supersac at Jan 10, 2010,
Thanks alot, the main problem with chords is I always forget where my fingers should go and I can get quite impatient which isn't good either, I got broke my last guitar off a wall because I couldn't play something really stupid... LOL

But I'll keep trying, thanks again for the advice.
Quote by QuazaX1X
Thanks alot, the main problem with chords is I always forget where my fingers should go and I can get quite impatient which isn't good either, I got broke my last guitar off a wall because I couldn't play something really stupid... LOL

But I'll keep trying, thanks again for the advice.

I think your number one problem to this is yourself. You are impatient, you don't seem to have much of a practice commitment, and you try to do too much before you have the basics down. If you cant sit down and put in the time that everyone needs to do it, because you cant be patient, then set the guitar down and move on to something else.

It doesn't come overnight, and you will get out of it what you decide to put into it. You wanna be half-ass in your commitment, you'll be a half-assed player.

If you want to improve on the guitar, then I suggest one word, and its not practice.

Its SLOW.

Do everything slowly but accurately. If you are having trouble with an area, break it down into an exercise that isolates just the place where you are messing up. If you cant play a 3 finger chord, can you play 2 of the fingers? If not, that becomes your exercise, not the whole chord. Do you trip up on the 4th note of a lick? If so, that becomes your exercise, the 3rd and 4th notes only till you can do them so well that its almost too easy.

Change your brain, change your mindset, dig deep and do a real gut check and ask youself if youre willing to do things right, and then do it.
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jan 10, 2010,