So, my rhythm guitarist is looking to buy a delay pedal, he doesn't want to spend a lot (nothing more than $200) and is obvious looking for something with durability and a high quality sound (willing to go used). So far the only thing i've really come up with is the MXR Carbon Copy and the TC electronics Nova Repeater. I usually deal with boutique stuff so i'm not too savvy on the mid end stuff. could you guys give me a hand with some suggestions for him?

He is looking for something that has a pretty clear repeat so I think digital would be the way to go, but analog is definitely fine to suggest to, or at least a digital capable of also emulating an analog.
The Nova Repeater is pretty bright. Not my favorite but good for the price. You might want to look into the Malekko Ekko 616. It's analog and definitely sounds analog though.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Nova repeater is pretty good. Had it. Sold it only because i got the g-system. Otherwise I would have kept it
"Steven Seagal is like godzilla for barbies" -> Retard
The Digitech DL-8 is pretty good, and does a nice analog. For single-stomp pedals, that's what I'd suggest.
If he needs to switch settings on the fly, the Boss DD-20 has a lot of flexibility. I got one for $180 new, but that was a few years ago, not sure what prices look like now.
Nova Repeater is awesome, I love the thing. And it has a tone knob to turn down the brightness...
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
How much delay time does he want/need and does he have a preference between analog and digital?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
How much delay time does he want/need and does he have a preference between analog and digital?

he needs anywhere up to around 750 milliseconds (thats out of the range of most analog delays, but usually his delay settings are nowhere near that long)

no preference, its just that he doesn't want too much decay, he wants a LITTLE BIT of modulation in the delay, but not the muddy tone you get from vintage delays, if you get what I mean. this is why I think digital is the way to go, but it doesn't matter to him.

EDIT: does anyone know any units that have the delay time displayed on a screen in this price range? (besides the Nova Delay, that's a little too pricey)
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jan 10, 2010,
i tried out a few delay pedals the other day, the carbon copy is horrible, the memory boy is horrible. you shall see my NGD maybe tomorrow. seriously i was so dissappointed by the memory boy, the repeats sound more digital then my echo park and the modulation is horrible. and every now and then it would, for lack of a better term, glitch and make a weird sound. moral of the story, unless he is willing to spend some big bucks digital is the way to go.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
EDIT: does anyone know any units that have the delay time displayed on a screen in this price range? (besides the Nova Delay, that's a little too pricey)

I think the DD20 is the cheapest delay that does that.
how about the Wampler AnalogEcho, that's $200 and it's meant to be amazing. http://www.indy-guitarist.com/inc/sdetail/98
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Boss DD-3 or DD-7, depending if he wants the pedal to be more simple or more complex.

The DD-7 has the tap tempo function, which is a must-have for many people.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Haven't played it myself, but a friend of mine really likes the Marshall Echohead, which is pretty cheap.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by RHCP_Nirvana_FF
IMO a EHX memory boy is very good value for the price.

I've heard horror stories about that things reliability.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
I've heard horror stories about that things reliability.

My Memory Boy has worked quite well so far and I use it daily.

Maybe a used DL4?
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
Seriously, only one suggestion for a used DL4? it sounds perfect for this. If you can't find a DL4 for that cheap, you could still get an Echo Park at least.
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

THe DL4 sounded about as good as the DD20 to me, but the buffer on the DL4 is atrocious and I've heard of a few too many breaking to recommend it.
Quote by Roc8995
THe DL4 sounded about as good as the DD20 to me, but the buffer on the DL4 is atrocious and I've heard of a few too many breaking to recommend it.

this.

It also don't look as sturdily built as other boss stompboxes.
I heard that only one batch of DL4 had reliabality issues and that the problem has been fixed
I've heard that story for four years, and yet somehow they keep breaking. Either that was the biggest batch of delay pedals in the history of man, or it's not true.

This always happens with unreliable gear (Looking at you, bugera). People don't want to believe that they bought something that's not built as well as it could be, so as soon as the manufacturer says they've done something (or, just all on their own), they decide that there was one bad batch and that it's now perfectly reliable.
so, he's narrowed it down to the Boss DD20 (mostly for the screen), the Vox Time Machine, and the TC Electronic Nova Repeater. he hasn't tested them, and i don't feel like testing them for him (but he's going on tuesday to test a bunch) so which between these 3 should be able to get him a very U2/Radiohead style delay, by that I mean very clear and bright, with the least decay? I'm liking that Nova Repeater quite a lot so far, and may even pick up the Nova Delay for myself
Also consider the Tech 21 Boost DLA. It's meant to sound better than the Nova Repeater, which I've heard many claim to be 'sterile, cold, lifeless' - etc.

A used DL4 is still a nice option as you can get it modded for better switches, different paint, better buffer, etc (look into DRASP mods).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
so, he's narrowed it down to the Boss DD20 (mostly for the screen), the Vox Time Machine, and the TC Electronic Nova Repeater. he hasn't tested them, and i don't feel like testing them for him (but he's going on tuesday to test a bunch) so which between these 3 should be able to get him a very U2/Radiohead style delay, by that I mean very clear and bright, with the least decay? I'm liking that Nova Repeater quite a lot so far, and may even pick up the Nova Delay for myself

for the sound that your friend is trying to achieve i think the Nova repeater would be the best option