I am in the process of searching for a PA system for busking in the public. I am mainly playing electric guitar so I am wondering how I could get the effects from an amp onto my gig? Would I have to buy a separate amp/machine thing that can plug into the PA system for the effects?

My current home amp set up is a Line 6 Spider II with a footswitch. So I normally have 4 different unique sounds that I can choose from (Clean, Clean+reverb/delay, Distortion, distortion + delay/reverb).
Just buy a mic and mic the amp through the PA.

...Though if you own the PA, I'd just sell the Spider and buy a POD. It will sound a hell of a lot better running direct through the PA than the Spider could ever hope to sound.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I will not bring my Spider amp to the streets. So I need something in replacement, would a pod do the trick for all the effects?

If I get a pod, do I still need a mic?
Quote by fobsternd
I will not bring my Spider amp to the streets. So I need something in replacement, would a pod do the trick for all the effects?

If I get a pod, do I still need a mic?

A PODxt or x3 will have better built in effects and amp models than your Spider and you can plug it directly into the PA, so no you don't need a mic
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
A PODxt or x3 will have better built in effects and amp models than your Spider and you can plug it directly into the PA, so no you don't need a mic

Aren't Pod Xt or X3 recording hardware?
Quote by ibanezgod1973
probably be better off with something like the roland cube street.....make sure you get a busking license aswell as permission to play outside the store(s)

http://www.roland.com/products/en/CUBE_Street/index.html

I tried the cube street at a guitar center, the sounds it had didn't match my preferences. Also, the PODs provide a wider array of sounds that are customizable.
Quote by kyle62
I think you need to read up a bit on PA systems and how they work.

PA systems in general? I think there might be too much information that I probably don't need at this point because I am just starting out. I just need very basic info.
Quote by fobsternd
Aren't Pod Xt or X3 recording hardware?

No.

The POD xt and x3 Live are made for using them live. They can be used as recording hardware though, yes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
No.

The POD xt and x3 Live are made for using them live. They can be used as recording hardware though, yes.

Interesting, if I sold my spider II amp...can I practice and jam like regularly with the POD xt/x3 as if they were the amps?
Quote by fobsternd
Interesting, if I sold my spider II amp...can I practice and jam like regularly with the POD xt/x3 as if they were the amps?

The PODs would need an amplifier (like the PA), as they're essentially a preamp. But you can connect headphones to it and practice with it just fine.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The PODs would need an amplifier (like the PA), as they're essentially a preamp. But you can connect headphones to it and practice with it just fine.

Yea That is what I'm planning to do. To buy a PA system and use them for both home jamming sessions and using them outdoors'. But since I want to play in areas without a wall jack, what kind of battery can I buy to power the PA + POds and other sorts of pedals?