I hate when I think of a really cool riff, and I find it sounds like another song. I started with an Amaj2 chord and an Emaj2 chord as a progression and I really like those chords. So I used them, distorted their main shape and put it into a groove.

But when I play it back, I love it! But it sounds like another song, but I don't know which one? What do you guys do when that happen?

http://www.myspace.com/acidpenguins

It's track no. 3
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

Oh god thats it.

Holy crap. On the recording of the song, it seems like only uses those octave things. But in this video, he uses the same chords almost...

looks like at least i know what it sounds like so I can change it to not sound like it.. lol

I love the distorted part though i dont think it sounds like it

*edit* I just realized they're tuned to Eb as well. This is just ****ing weird. I picked this tuning a long time ago..
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

Last edited by injected at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by injected
Oh god thats it.

Holy crap. On the recording of the song, it seems like only uses those octave things. But in this video, he uses the same chords almost...

looks like at least i know what it sounds like so I can change it to not sound like it.. lol

I love the distorted part though i dont think it sounds like it

*edit* I just realized they're tuned to Eb as well. This is just ****ing weird. I picked this tuning a long time ago..

they picked the tuning before you were born
Quote by Rogue Hermit

You're a good man. I was waiting for somebody to step up with the obligatory "I come blood" reference.

Quote by guylee
goddammit. I'm going to bed. You win good sir.

Quote by stratguy335
Haha! You got the joke! You win a cookie.
That's not what I meant. I meant, I picked it because I liked it, not because I was inspired by another band doing it or something. not too heavy, not too light.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

well yeah, it's pretty similar...
but that doesn't mean you could use it, if you use diff lyrics on it.
There are like a million songs with that Em C G D progression in it.
just make sure no-one thinks of the shmashing pumpkins when they hear you guys play :p
Who cares? You didn't blatantly rip it off. The would would be less a few billion songs if GCD could only be used once. Chord progression aren't copywritten.

Ignore it and carry on writing.
Quote by Pettah
Well, you shout dammit, then start write a new riff

yes, that sound like another good option