Well I've been playing a rather shit Ibanez GRG170DX for the last 2 years now and I'm just starting to realize I need an upgrade. A year ago I upgraded my set up from a Marshall MG and a Zoom to a Fender Blues Junior with an MXR 8 band and a Digitech Bad Monkey.

Something tells me my guitar isn't doing my gear justice.
Anyway, I've been saving for a while and am about to blow it all up soon on a new guitar. My budget is a MAXIMUM of 580 pounds/930 dollars. I am based in India but importing will not be a problem and I will be travelling to London soon.

I do not see a point in saying what kind of music I play cause I play absolutely everything. But if it does help in anyway, I lean toward indie and metal so I need something that does both.

Thanks a lot guys. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Quote by akack
But if it does help in anyway, I lean toward indie and metal so I need something that does both.

Sounds like you're wanting something fairly versatile then.

Here's my suggestions:

Ibanez S470 (Mahogany w/rosewood fretboard 22 frets H-S-H setup. ZR "floating bridge" )

Fender Fat Strat (american (22 frets) or mexican(21 frets); alder body, rosewood or maple fretboard. H-S-S config)

Schecter C-1 Classic (Mahogany body H-H config)

If you could clarify a bit more as to what you are looking for that'd be great (body wood, neck: thin or fat, etc.)
check out schecter, LTD's, Agile's (rondo music)
without knowing more of what your looking for thats all i can do
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Yes something versatile basically. How does the Ibanez do cleans? Will it be able to pull off Arctic Monkeys/Bloc Party kinda stuff?

Now that Strat's an option, but I doubt Tool would be possible on it. See my dilemma?

I've done a bit of research myself and PRS SE Custom seems like a good option. Anybody got any thoughts on that? Haven't tried anything yet. Tele with a humbucker is another option.

EDIT: I know absolutely nothing about wood so you'll have to guide me on that. Since I've been playing a wizard neck so long I guess ill favour a thing one. I doubt it'll take me time to get used to something a bit thicker though..
Last edited by akack at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by akack
Yes something versatile basically. How does the Ibanez do cleans? Will it be able to pull off Arctic Monkeys/Bloc Party kinda stuff?

Now that Strat's an option, but I doubt Tool would be possible on it. See my dilemma?

I've done a bit of research myself and PRS SE Custom seems like a good option. Anybody got any thoughts on that? Haven't tried anything yet. Tele with a humbucker is another option.

EDIT: I know absolutely nothing about wood so you'll have to guide me on that. Since I've been playing a wizard neck so long I guess ill favour a thing one. I doubt it'll take me time to get used to something a bit thicker though..

Sounds like you want an Ibanez : )

The S470 will be fine for cleans.

You have the neck pick up AND the middle single coil for cleans.

Also, the five position switch has a the bridge in parallel at the 2nd (or 4th position...can't remember) and split coil for the other, so there's tons of tonal opportunities.

Just a note, the bridge pickup that came in my s320 (same guitar without the single coil) was a bit too trebly for my taste so I ended up changing it out for a ToneZone (changed the neck to a PAF Pro too, but I didn't really have a problem with the neck pickup). This may be the case with you as well.

If you haven't used a floyd rose I'd be hesitant on getting it though (it's a huge undertaking and changing tunings is not an easy thing to do).

I haven't played a PRS SE but I've heard great things about them.

Also,
there's three wood types that I'm familiar with (although there's a lot more than 3 lol)

Mahogany is darker and wamer.

Alder is brighter.

Basswood is inbetween.

Per usual, I'm sticking in my "try it before you buy it".
since you've been playing a wizard neck, your probably going to favor a thin neck, meaning perhaps a schecter might not be the best idea, they have thicker necks.
You should wait for the 2010 Ibanez's to some out, the S series has 24 frets now, there was a link to the new cataloge in another thread, i forget which one.
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
oh yeah forgot to mention,

your amp is most of your sound.

If your current amp (blues jr. according to your profile) can't do tool, arctic monkeys, etc. a new guitar (or pickups for that matter) will not change this.

Also, after looking it up, I was wrong, I have played a PRS SE. Good guitar (neck was a little too fat for my liking though).

But again, TRY everything you can.
blues jr manages tool when set right.

S470 suggestion has been noted, I will try that out. How is the bridge on that btw? I've heard some ibanez bridges are really bad.

More suggestions guys!
You could go for an S470 or something like a PRS or HSH Schecter. I suppose you're after something mahogany with humbuckers and coil taps?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by akack
blues jr manages tool when set right.

S470 suggestion has been noted, I will try that out. How is the bridge on that btw? I've heard some ibanez bridges are really bad.

More suggestions guys!

The ZR is great. One of the best bridges Ibanez makes to be honest.

It's the Edge III that's notorious for being terrible.

The main thing is that, even though changing string gauges on the ZR is easy (unlike a normal Floyd Rose), changing tunings takes a lot of time (If you're constantly changing tunings I wouldn't recommend it).
Guitars:
Ibanez RG7421 (MIJ) Dimarzio SD-7/AN-7
ESP LTD EC407 (stock)
Ibanez S320 (Tone Zone/PAF Pro)
ESP LTD EC1000 (stock)
Seagull C-6 Concert Acoustic
Godin MultiAc Nylon Encore

Amps:
Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+
Marshall DSL100
Mesa Boogie Tremoverb
Mesa Boogie 412 Rectifier Standard Cab
Randall Iso112

Pedals:
Horizon Devices Precision Overdrive
ISP Decimator
Maxon OD808
MXR Carbon Copy
Shure GLX wireless system
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus
i do change tunings quite a bit... but nothing extreme. drop d is my main alternate tuning, but i do occassionally tune half step down or to DADGAD. not too often though.
I have a PRS se, at the time I was considering both mid-range Gibson and Fenders, tried them all out, and never looked back... my predicament was pretty similar to yours, I play everything and the PRS plays everything along with me... defo a great buy...
(L) R.I.P FoREVer (L)
I'm planning to get a PRS SE
I'm in the position same as you, I play a bit of everything
Mostly blues and classic rock, but also metal, indie etc
Great guitars for any genre

But a Fender, Gibson, Ibanez would work too.
Quote by akack
that sounds encouraging. so s470 and se custom. anything else?

Cort also do good guitars, a very overlooked brand, but IMHO they have not much on prs, not many brands do. Good, good choice on the prs though. I am saving up for one at the moment
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Quote by rlheart
The ZR is great. One of the best bridges EVER MADE.

Fixed

+999999999 On the ibanez S series, amazing guitars, and very future proof as you can upgrade the pickups in time, get a good setup and they become top class guitars.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works