Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for a new amp at the moment, and a few days ago I stumpled upon the Line 6 Spider IV 150 watt in a music store. I loved the sound of it, and was amazed by it's versitality. And the price is incredible too. I have about $1000 to spend, but this is probably the best one I've tried so far (for the price, I might add). Now, I've seen tons of criticism of the Spider here on UG. Can anyone please tell me why everyone seems to hate it?
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Rolling Stone is to the music industry what TheOnion.com is to news.

Ambivalence.
Last edited by Deflection at Jan 10, 2010,
Because it sounds like shit and it's unreliable?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
You have a grand to spend?
Get a low-wattage tube amp, with an external 4X12 cab if you can. Depends on your style of music though.
This type of thread is banned. Can't be bothered to report it...
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
I'm going to give a completely logical and well thought out reason not to get the Line 6 Spider IV amplifier.

Because it is a Line 6 Spider IV amplifier.

Seriously though, I have tried the II, III, and IV. NONE of them give any decent tone to a veteran ear. You may enjoy it now, but a few months down the line you'll play through it and want to set it on fire. If you ran a Boss DS-1 through your CPU, that's about the equivalent sound.

For $1000 (if you're a beginner) I'd suggest a decent Randall Solid State, this way you don't have to worry about tube replacement and volume level/saturation control and all that other fun stuff just yet.
oh please let this be a troll...
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
Holy hell, you've got a grand and you're looking at Spiders?

There's negative thoughts about Spiders because they don't sound good.

Look here and here if you want to see some better amps for that price range.
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I'm talking about the 150 watts version
Quote by Zangetsu 101

Ambivalence.
Quote by Deflection
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I'm talking about the 150 watts version

ORLY? If I were you I'd just wait a little bit. I hear Line 6 is gonna make a 450w Spider V... stay tuned and I'd go for one of those.

Okay dude seriously, now you're just trolling. If you want people to give you honest advice, don't start a troll thread about Spider's and expect them to be nice and accomodating.

And by the slim chance you aren't trolling, Spiders are great practice amps, but that's just it, they're practice amps. At high-volumes, they sound horrible (excluding cleans) and probably should not be gigged with. That being said, 150w is a ridiculous overkill (unless you're gigging and/or need the headroom).

Now we've established that you have a grand to spend, but what genres and bands do you play? What is your nearest major city(if you're in the US)? Are you gigging?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
LoL look at his profile...

"Occupation: Asshole"

and he's been banned twice
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

Quote by HellBoy9393
LoL look at his profile...

"Occupation: Asshole"

and he's been banned twice

What the **** is everyone's problem here? Just because I ask about a certain amplifier I'm all of a sudden a troll? Think you overlooked the fact that I'm an 07'er with 500 posts. Jesus.

I made the ****ing thread REGARDING the negative looks upon the Spider.
Quote by Zangetsu 101

Ambivalence.
It's funny that people immediately bang on the spider 4, I bet none of you have actually played it...
Guitar Gear
Marlin 2 Single 1 HumBuggy
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
V-Amp2
Marshall MG10CD - Microwaved
Line6 Spider III 30w - Put it in the oven
no we havent

what i am going to say is that for $1000 you could easily get an extremely nice amp
Quote by mansoor.h
It's funny that people immediately bang on the spider 4, I bet none of you have actually played it...

I'm a sad gearhead who goes to the local store(s) every week, so YES I have tried that piece of crap before.

TS, sorry for assuming you were trolling. The things you said were just so.. reminiscent of trolls.

curious though..why were you banned twice before?
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon

I have a Spider II. When I bought it I was impressed by all the sounds it could create, and many of them sounded pretty good to me. I play at home by myself, so the 75 W amp had more than enough power for me.

Fast-forward a few years, and I'm no longer terribly happy with most of the sounds in the amp. They sound okay until I compare them with a guitarist who really has great guitar tone - Snowy White in "Bird of Paradise", for instance. Then I realize that nothing I can do with the Spider will create that sort of sound, or anything close to it. I can create lots of tones with the Spider, but nothing really subtle - it's much better at over-the-top sounds. Unfortunately I'm more interested in clean or nearly clean tones, with just enough distortion to warm them up and give them some nice tonal colouration.

I kept convincing myself that it wasn't the amp, it was my playing technique, or my guitars, or my inability to dial the amp in properly. Surely if I poked around long enough and tried enough things I'd find the tones I wanted?

Before I bought the Spider, I had a Line 6 Pod 2.0. I used to play through a small stereo amp and a pair of Alesis studio monitors at home. Today I hauled out the Pod for the first time in a long time - and that's when I realized that the Pod is much better at creating the tones I want than the Spider is.

No wonder I had good memories of the Pod - my mistake was assuming the Spider would sound as good. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

I don't know if the Spider IV sounds any better than the Spider II - but sad to say, I can tell you for sure that the Spider III does not. That's because I bought a Spider Jam not long ago, based off the Spider III. I can't find the tones I want in it either, but I do enjoy playing along with the built in drum tracks and backing tracks, despite the rather poor audio quality. When I put my old Pod 2.0 through the Aux input on the Spider Jam (bypassing all the onboard processing on the amp), it sounds much better than the same guitar plugged directly into the guitar input on the same Spider Jam.

I really don't want to deal with the cost, bulk, and size of a big tube amp, and the variety of tones in the Pod is still appealing. So I'm thinking of selling the Spider II and getting a keyboard amp or small PA to use with the Pod. Hopefully that will get me close enough to the sounds I want to keep me reasonably happy. If the Pod doesn't do it, there are other amp modellers to try.

I've spent way too much money and time trying unsuccessfully to find the sounds I want from two different Spider amps. You can avoid my mistakes; I think the people who replied to your post are actually trying to help you, though it may not seem like it at first sight.

-Argyle345
It's better than the spider 3, and some of the models are at a reasonable price.

As to the other posts, case closed.

And no I wouldn't buy a spider with a grand, let alone a chocolate bar, but the spider IV is actually a step up and is in closer competition wise.

On the topic of line 6 the vettas are nice for a grand.

lolwut
Guitar Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
V-Amp2
Quote by HellBoy9393
I'm a sad gearhead who goes to the local store(s) every week, so YES I have tried that piece of crap before.

TS, sorry for assuming you were trolling. The things you said were just so.. reminiscent of trolls.

curious though..why were you banned twice before?

Silly 09'ers .. Getting banned is ridiculously easy on UG. I don't even remember what I did. First time I think I was being a bit harsh on someone, and the second time I think I was spamming in a spam thread.

Thank you so much for the enlightening post, argyle345, that was a breath of fresh air in this thread.

I do have a grand to spend, but if I get the Spider, I'll have money to spend on other stuff like new pickups. I've tried the Spider II and III, and in my opinion this one is much better. Also, I'm thinking about buying a seperate cabinet along with it, as you can connect the Spider to additional cabinets.
Quote by Zangetsu 101

Ambivalence.
Last edited by Deflection at Jan 10, 2010,
To be fair If I had a grand I would not buy a spider, meh amp + good gutiar doesn't mix as well as good amp and meh guitar.

Trust us when we say buy something FAR better for your money. I'd spend almost all the money you have on the amp, but that's me.
Guitar Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
V-Amp2
I suggest you look into complete modeling processors like PODs or the GT-10. You need a PA or your own power amp though to make any sound.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Funk that, I'd just get a vetta with his money tbh.

If we're talking modelers any hoo.
Guitar Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
V-Amp2
Last edited by mansoor.h at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by Zhuriel
I suggest you look into complete modeling processors like PODs or the GT-10. You need a PA or your own power amp though to make any sound.

And you have to rely on the sound guy putting enough back through the foldback for you to hear. I've played acoustics through the PA purely before and you end up fighting with the singer who wants more of himself and less of you - and thats with ACOUSTIC. I can just imagine the shitfight that would occur if it was an electric guitar chugging away.
If you are gigging you really need a decent amp that you can hear on stage without relying on foldback. For $1000 you could get a bitchin' amp. Hell, that's more than I paid for both of my valve amps combined and either of them would mop the floor with a spider.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
If you are gigging you really need a decent amp that you can hear on stage without relying on foldback.

Not really. Cynic don't use any amps on stage, And they have the best and most studio-like live sound I've ever heard. I've played using only my GT-10 through PA and it worked fine, I could hear myself perfectly. If I hadn't made that experience, I wouldn't have recommended it.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Quote by Zhuriel
Not really. Cynic don't use any amps on stage, And they have the best and most studio-like live sound I've ever heard. I've played using only my GT-10 through PA and it worked fine, I could hear myself perfectly. If I hadn't made that experience, I wouldn't have recommended it.

You must have been playing with a far less egocentric singer than some I've played with.
Still, computer simulated valves or real valves? That's a no brainer afaic. The amp is the next most important thing to your sound after skill so I'll take the real thing every time and hang any inconvenience that that may bring (not that there's a lot anyway). Plus, is there a better way to wake up the neighbours than a 100W Marshall cranked up blasting out Voodoo Chile?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Still, computer simulated valves or real valves? That's a no brainer afaic.

Not so sure about that. If You're in the studio, maybe yes. But live, as I said, Cynic's two AxeFx racks sounded much better, more defined than John Petrucci's Mesa stacks IMO.
I own a Spider lll and its pretty bad for gigs, but okay for practice. I think the Spiders only make up as good practice amps but havent tried the Spider IV so cant comment on that..
If you buy the Spider IV that you're looking at, you'd have ended up with a 150W practice amp. Seriously, there are far better amps for the money. If you want a solid state/modelling amp, go for a Line 6 Flextone or Vetta, and if you want valves, look at a used Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or an Egnater 20W stack.
get an tube head or hybrid, or if you want a modelling amp head get a peavey vypyr 120 tube head
The only thing Line 6 amps are good at is making Line 6 money. They sound like shit. If they break (which they do often ), you'll have a hard time finding someone to fix it. After a few years, Line 6 will completely end any kind of support for it, so they can start making money off the newer POS amps they'll be making. The shitbox in my sig that I bought ten years ago is still with me, because nobody wants to buy a used Line 6. I've offered to let it go for $100, but I still can't get rid of it. I'll be happy when I get my Bassman out of layaway. Then, I might just take a baseball bat to the Flextone to vent a little anger. It's not like I'm ever going to get any money out of it, so, what the hell.

If you get a nice tube amp, it'll sound good, and you'll always be able to get it fixed, usually quite cheaply. And if it's a respected name (which is within your budget), it'll have a decent resale value.
O)))))))))))))))))
Quote by Zhuriel

Studio like does not equal good live sound IMO, you go to see a band live to hear a live sound.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Just get a better amp. Pickups won't make a huge impact, if at all, on the spider. If your going to spend a grand look at some of the higher quality amps out there.

What do you like to play?
Gigging or Home use?

BTW your profile says 199 posts not 500.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by Sunn_O)))
The only thing Line 6 amps are good at is making Line 6 money. They sound like shit.
ever played a vetta or a flextone? no? well then please stop giving good amps a bad name.
Quote by Deflection
What the **** is everyone's problem here? Just because I ask about a certain amplifier I'm all of a sudden a troll? Think you overlooked the fact that I'm an 07'er with 500 posts. Jesus.
well the fact that youve been here 2+ years means you should be able to use the search function. if thats the case, you would know why the question you are asking is stupid. hence, why people would think you are trolling

basicly, the spider is fine as a practice amp. if you are spending the money on the 150W model and you know that spiders are bad, you are an idiot. with the money you have you can get a much better amp that isnt overkill and a waste of your money. heck, if you must have a spider, the spider valve would be a much better option. not a fan of it myself, but it does sound better than the normal spiders. or you could probably even pick up a vetta II on ebay for under a grand. or you could help narrow down what you want to play, and we can figure out what would be a good sounding amp for what you want.
Quote by Talentless
Studio like does not equal good live sound IMO, you go to see a band live to hear a live sound.

I meant studio like as in, clear and defined. If that's not a good live sound to you then I don't know.
At $500 there are FAR better options than an overblown practice amp.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by jof1029
ever played a vetta or a flextone? no? well then please stop giving good amps a bad name.

He owns a Flextone, and spent the whole post talking about his Flextone...

TS, it's been said, but for the money you could buy something that in the long run you'd appreciate and value more.

Most of UG hate on them because of the bandwagon. I have played one of the 150 watters myself (well, the Spider III (there was no alternative that day...)) at a band practice and simply couldn't tweak a tone I was 100% happy with. Everything seemed too...over the top?

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
Last edited by Stuarttt-1 at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by Stuarttt-1
He owns a Flextone, and spent the whole post talking about his Flextone...

And it's even in my sig!
Some people don't pay attention very well.
O)))))))))))))))))
Quote by Sunn_O)))
nobody wants to buy a used Line 6. I've offered to let it go for $100, but I still can't get rid of it.

I'll stay clear of the more incendiary stuff you said, but would like to make two suggestions:

1) Guitar center now sells used gear, which means they also buy used gear. I spoke to a local GC salesman, and they said they would be quite happy to buy my used Spider II, because Line 6 is a brand that sells very well for them. (They are in fact the best-selling guitar amp brand on the market. See Wikipedia snippet below.)

You may perhaps be right that seasoned professional musicians won't buy a used Line 6 amp, but a lot of newcomers or closet garage guitarists are happy to buy them. That means you can definitely find a buyer for your Line 6 amp.

2) I see ads for Line 6 Spider amps on Craigs List from time to time, and they don't stay there long - evidently the used amps do sell.

FWIW, no doubt you'll get more money for your Line 6 amp from a Craigs List sale - GC has to make a profit reselling it, so they'll probably pay you half what you would get on Craigs List for the same thing.

If you're looking to buy something new as a replacement, selling it to Guitar Center may make financial sense: they offer "trade in and trade up" deals that include a big discount on the price of the new item you buy as part of the trade. If the new item is an expensive one, the 15% off may make up for the lousy trade-in price they give you on the used item.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia's article on Line 6:

Selling over 92,000 units in 2008, the 15-watt Spider III amp was the best-selling guitar amplifier in America. (In the same year, other Spider III amplifiers achieved similar success: the 75-watt Spider III amp was the best-selling guitar amp over $150 in America (and the fourth-best-selling guitar amplifier overall), 30-watt Spider III was the best-selling 30-watt guitar amp in America, (and the fifth-best-selling guitar amplifier overall.)

-Argyle345
Quote by Stuarttt-1
I have played one of the 150 watters myself (well, the Spider III (there was no alternative that day...)) at a band practice and simply couldn't tweak a tone I was 100% happy with. Everything seemed too...over the top?

That's exactly how I feel about my Spider II and Spider Jam. I can't get anything really subtle out of either one. Even the "glassy clean" tones mentioned in the ad copy are exactly that, too glassy and too clean - they tire my ears out after a few minutes, and lack tonal colour, so they become boring to listen to in short order as well. This became very obvious to me after I recorded some of my playing on the Spider Jam and played it back.

You (Stuarttt-1) probably have much better ears than I do for tone, so you figured out in one day what took me a couple of years to realize. Oh well, at least I got there eventually.

For now, anyway, I do like the "tube amp" setting on my old Pod 2.0 - it's as close to a neutral sound as the Pod gets, and the sound warms up in a nice subtle way when I play harder.

In addition to lack of tonal subtlety, the other thing I noticed was that all my guitars sound very similar through the Spider amps. Played through a Spider, there's not very much difference in tone between the $150 Epiphone LP Special II, the $350 Ibanez Artcore AS73, and the $600 Agile 3100M (Les Paul copy with Seymour Duncan pickups). But if you play these three through a non-modelling amp, they are three very different-sounding guitars indeed. The Artcore is a semi hollow-body inspired by the Gibson ES 335, the Agile has the same solid mahogany body and 3/4" thick maple cap as a real Les Paul, and the Special II is no more than a cheap slab of painted wood with strings on it.

It was frustrating for me to find out that I could not hear the warmth of the semi-hollow AS73 nor the subtle but distinctive mahogany/maple/humbucker sound of the Agile through the Spider.

-Argyle345
Quote by Zhuriel
I meant studio like as in, clear and defined. If that's not a good live sound to you then I don't know.

Like its been said millions of times, modellers are usually too clear and too defined, they lack character, warmth and depth of tone that tubes provide. So when i go to see a live band i like to hear rich, natural, warm guitar tone that fills the venue, and its the venue i want to hear too. I don't want to hear a studio album sound. If i wanted that id listen to the album at home.....
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Page 1 of 2