I have some big strings here, 13-62, that I'm gonna throw on my guitar. No not literally. The problem I face is that the 6th string doesn't fit into the intonation slot thingy. I have a PRS SE Custom 24 fret (trem is locked btw), if you need to look at the guitar just check this - http://prsguitars.com/secustom24/index.html

Anyways what should I do? For me it would be logical to just file it a little so that I can slip it in there but everything you do to a guitar can seem to have an effect on the sound or playability, whether it be good or bad. Advice?
Last edited by BrandonWeir at Jan 10, 2010,
If you are going from stock strings, take it to a tech.

Normally I'd be all for you doing some research and learning for yourself, but you are likely to need quite a bit of adjustment (bridge, intonation, relief) to get your guitar to play nice with those strings on - and you don't really sound like you are particularly experienced.
Since your changing size strings you'll need to go to a tech prob because you're going to have more tension and the bridge will be pulled foward which will need adjusting
^^^I know how to do all the adjustments, nut slots, string action, truss rod, intonation, all that stuff. I had switched my stock strings to gauge 12-54 but the 54 fit in the intonation thing (yeah I know noob I forgot what it's called). the 62 doesn't. That's the only thing I don't know about at the moment and I couldn't find anything about it on Google.
Last edited by BrandonWeir at Jan 10, 2010,
Oh hmm filing might work I guess then again besides buying a new set of saddles that would be the only thing possible to widen the slot for the string to go through. Though not too sure how easy it would be to file out the slot.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Oh hmm filing might work I guess then again besides buying a new set of saddles that would be the only thing possible to widen the slot for the string to go through. Though not too sure how easy it would be to file out the slot.

I'll jack with it a little and see what I should do. I could buy and install new saddles but filing one slot sounds like a lot less work. I had to install new saddles on my friends guitar cause he dropped a hammer on it and broke like 4 of them. Bitch and a half.
Quote by BrandonWeir
I'll jack with it a little and see what I should do. I could buy and install new saddles but filing one slot sounds like a lot less work. I had to install new saddles on my friends guitar cause he dropped a hammer on it and broke like 4 of them. Bitch and a half.

They're not that difficult it's just undoing one screw and then putting a new one in, putting a pickup into a pickup ring is more of a bitch.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
They're not that difficult it's just undoing one screw and then putting a new one in, putting a pickup into a pickup ring is more of a bitch.

this, especially when you lower it too much accidentally on one side and you're messing around with it around the strings just to try to get it back together again, and you cant just take the strings off cause you really wanna play, but don't have an extra set of strings to use at the moment.

/true story.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by BrandonWeir
Haha oh boy I can't wait for the day I end up having to do that.

Just do what I plan on doing mate and avoid guitars with them altogether