I am practicing muting unwanted notes, and I am having two problems.

1. I am muting the notes I want to play on accident frequently.

2. My hand is muting the bottom strings but I can still hear the notes ring after I had played them and muted them. However I am playing on acoustic, so maybe that's why?
Work on keeping the muting meaty part of your hand only on the strings above (Weird guitar geography, i mean the low sounding strings.) the string you want to play on. And for the higher in pitch strings, mute them by laying your fretting hand across them when playing.
1) Your palm should be muting the string 2 strings below the one you're playing, and the tip of the index should get the one below the one you're playing.

2) I don't know what hand you mean, but check out this article: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_ii_6_technique_-_muting.html
Quote by tenfold
1) Your palm should be muting the string 2 strings below the one you're playing, and the tip of the index should get the one below the one you're playing.

2) I don't know what hand you mean, but check out this article: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_ii_6_technique_-_muting.html

Just one below or all of them?
All, it should be pretty easy.
Say you're playing the 7th fret D string. You would mute the G, B, and high E strings with the underneath of your index finger. You would mute the A string with the tip of your index. You would mute the low E string with your palm.
Quote by tenfold
All, it should be pretty easy.
Say you're playing the 7th fret D string. You would mute the G, B, and high E strings with the underneath of your index finger. You would mute the A string with the tip of your index. You would mute the low E string with your palm.

Wouldn't you mute the A string with your palm too? Espically if you plan on bending that A note you're playing?
Quote by Derk4397
Wouldn't you mute the A string with your palm too?

I wouldn't. Just more chance for it to accidentally mute the string I'm playing. I find that the tip of the index is well qualified to mute a string.
How are you suppose to mute the one string below then when you play a riff or scale that doesn't use the index finger on that string?
Quote by Derk4397
How are you suppose to mute the one string below then when you play a riff or scale that doesn't use the index finger on that string?

Even if you don't use it, it should be there anyways. Can you show me a riff you're thinking of?
Quote by tenfold
Even if you don't use it, it should be there anyways. Can you show me a riff you're thinking of?

C on the G string to Eb and F on the B string to Ab and A# on the E string.

I also don't understand how you are suppose to flatten your index finger down and keep the other 3 fingers from also going flat. When my index finger isn't down enough to mute out the strings, it seems I have to pull my wrist straighter which makes all my fingers go flat to the strings instead of being arching and playing on the fingertips.

This is really frustrating and I am trying my best to practice good technique, but it just seems like it's impossible for me to grasp....I don't know what to do.
You would mute with your palm.

You don't have to flatten it, just get it flat enough to mute the treble strings.
If you can't get the wrist straight and still mute the strings, maybe you have a posture issue. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvGD9edWcg&p=FA239CA8EF73CEC9&index=1