Hi all, I'm planning to buy a small P.A. or keyboard amp to use with an amp modeller/D.I. box. I play mostly electric guitar, and am also having some fun with a bass guitar lately, and I'd like the one amp/P.A. to serve for both. In other words, I want enough power and bottom end to handle a bass guitar, and enough top end to cope with an electric guitar. This is for playing solo or with a buddy in the garage, at low to medium volumes. For now, both my basses are 4-string, though I won't rule out a 5-string in the future, so it would be nice if the amp can cope with a low B.

After lots of comparing, I'm considering three keyboard amp/P.A. combos: one a 300W unit with a 15" speaker and horn (compression) tweeter, the other two have 180W/90W respectively and use a 12" speaker and horn tweeter. All three have reasonably good reviews, and I think all have way more power than I need.

Here's my question: which do you think is the better option? I expect the 15" will handle the bass better, but I'm concerned that the huge and heavy speaker won't sound as good with the higher notes and overtones from the electric guitar. On the other side of the coin, I know the 12" speaker is a good choice for the guitar, but I'm not sure if it will cope well with the bass.

I'll gladly provide more information on my guitars, amp modeller, type of playing, etc, if it will help, but I wanted to keep this post crisp and to the point - would you go with the amp with the 15" speaker, or the 12" one? More specifically, do you think the 15" speaker will muddy or dull the guitar sound?

-Argyle345
a lot of bassist use 10 inch speakers. I have seen on many occasions 8x10 bass stacks.soa twelve should be okay.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Thanks for your input, perdestrian! I think 4x10" speakers have the combined cone area of one 20" speaker, and 8x10 has the area of two 20" speakers. So the individual drivers don't work as hard as a single 12". At the same time the smaller and lighter speakers are supposed to be more agile and responsive to the music. Essentially the same trick Roland uses with their micro cube bass amp with 4 tiny four-inch drivers.

You may well be right, though, since I'll be playing at low volumes in a small room the speaker won't need to move all that air, and a 12" might well handle it.

Do you have an opinion on whether a 15" speaker is big enough to take away tone from an electric guitar? I found a Telecaster forum where some players seemed to prefer 15" speakers, but that is the first time I've heard of guitarists using such big drivers.

-Argyle345
There are 10", 12" and 15" speakers for guitar and bass.

Bass speakers have more lows and more highs then guitar speakers. Bass speakers are essentially full range, guitar speakers are very mids focused.

Ultimately, considering most modellers can model cabs, just get a cab that will do your bass and keyboards, the guitar modeller will make it sound good for guitar.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Thanks for your input, StabX. I've been thinking on the same lines as you, my inclination is to get the bigger 300 W 15" keyboard amp.

-Argyle345
It took me a few days to sort through options, but after lots of online research I found a less expensive and better reviewed option than the keyboard amps I was initially considering. Today I went ahead and got a Harbinger APS 15 powered monitor from Guitar Center. It's a two-way active loudspeaker with a 15" full-range driver and the usual compression (horn) tweeter. It's housed in the typical plastic wedge-shaped enclosure that can either lie on its side as a stage monitor, stand upright for P.A. use, or be pole-mounted to cover a wider area.

I just got the thing home and won't have a chance to try it out until tomorrow. Once I have a chance to listen to my guitars and bass through it I'll report back here, just in case anyone else is looking for the same solution I am. The guitars will be fed through my Pod 2.0 first; I'll probably try the bass both direct and through the Pod.

-Argyle345
Well let us know how it works out and how it sounds.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
I've heard a lot of guitarists use bass cabs, so I'd go for the 15" speakers.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
A 15" would work best with both bass and guitar, since most PA systems use them. But just for bass, either a 4X10, or a 1x18. Maybe mix the two, my band used to use a Peavey SP118 with our two 1x15 PA speakers till it fried, sounded really good with the bass guitar.

But something that covers the low and high range really wall would work best.
I don't think there's a modeler that can model a Bass amp properly. If you got a modeler, put a bass speaker in it, and used the Bassman setting maybe.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
I don't think there's a modeler that can model a Bass amp properly. If you got a modeler, put a bass speaker in it, and used the Bassman setting maybe.

Have you tried any Bass modelers or are you just saying that.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
A very quick update: based on just an hour or two of noodling around with the Harbinger, I'm pretty pleased with playing my bass through it, and really happy about the results of playing my guitars + Pod 2.0 through it. Well worth the $200 I paid for it, as far as I'm concerned. Pity it's such an ugly beast compared to a good guitar amp, though!

I was going to give more details here, but I ended up writing so much that I decided to start another thread reviewing the Pod + Harbinger APS-15, so I didn't veer off the original topic of this thread, or divert it into discussing specific equipment.

The Harbinger + Pod review thread is here:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22943510&posted=1#post22943510

-Argyle345