So I recently watched a video of Slash on YouTube playing the Godfather theme. It was amazing. I'd seen it before and I watched it plenty of times after but still I'm stumped as to how can this guy play all of these songs and still not forget anything. However my main issue is how long do you all think it took him or any guitarist to learn that song? Just so I can set a goal for myself. It's definitely not a beginer song but I need that next leap for myself. Thanks
Put this in your signature if you've ever saved a child.

Yea thats what i thought.
you`ve gotta know your theory to be able to remember long solo`s, (particularly fretboard an modal theory)....for the godfather theme i just think D phyrigian dominant, bearing in mind that straight after that solo he breaks into sail away sweeet sister (D ionian) then SCOM (D dorian) there`s is no musical break live with these 3 songs
Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
slash does forget things
at 4:23 he says the solo just came back to him
that means he forgot it but eventualy remembered

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cpytcgL31E
Quote by Rogue Hermit

You're a good man. I was waiting for somebody to step up with the obligatory "I come blood" reference.

Quote by guylee
goddammit. I'm going to bed. You win good sir.

Quote by stratguy335
Haha! You got the joke! You win a cookie.
My issue with theory is I've seen SOOOO many topics and pages on theory I get lost on which helps the most. I have no idea where to start with theory....

Quote by Rcasa630
My issue with theory is I've seen SOOOO many topics and pages on theory I get lost on which helps the most. I have no idea where to start with theory....

Just start with the notes on your fretboard, then what notes make scales.

Then learn how to use those scales over what chords.

Take theory very slow, and if it confuses you now, come back to it. Typically though, you start out with learning the notes of the fretboard, then move onto scales, then chord construction.

I'd recommend learning Jazz for the theory aspects, if you're really wanting to learn theory. You'll also learn a whole new genre, and a new way of phrasing/chords to spice up your playing .
it is muscle memory, also i remeber what shapes my fingers make when i am playing and that helps
GENERIC SIGNATURE
IIRC, he improvises the end of the solo, so he doesn't really have to remember it. It's not the same guitarist, but Michael Schenker once said that every solo he did was improvised, so he only remembers the rhythm parts, and then just lets loose on the solos.

The thing about learning songs is that it's easy really, just learn one part at a time and put it all together. I can't really describe it, but I don't know an awful lot of theory, but I remember loads of songs, and it only takes me a little while (anything from 5 minutes from a song I know, to an hour if I can be bothered to learn a song I don't know). If you just start learning songs now, and just carry on learning them, you'll get them stuck in your head and it'll just be second nature to learn and remember them.

If that answers your question, I don't really know.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by ibanezgod1973
you`ve gotta know your theory to be able to remember long solo`s, (particularly fretboard an modal theory)....for the godfather theme i just think D phyrigian dominant, bearing in mind that straight after that solo he breaks into sail away sweeet sister (D ionian) then SCOM (D dorian) there`s is no musical break live with these 3 songs

everything you just said made no sense to me. What websites would you all recommend to learn this stuff? A great and easy theory website? Some seem ridiculously complicated.