JAustinMunn
823 IQ
Howdy all...

The title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for the most versatile amp for $1000 dollars. Metal Rhythm, blues, shredding leads, excellent cleans and the like. I know it's probably more than most amps have to offer all in one, so I plan to get pedals as well. Also, I'd prefer 3 channels, but 2 will do. I was hoping people had suggestions for me! I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

P.S. I'm not a big fan of the Vypyr series, but I haven't tried the tube version.
Axes;
Ibanez S Prestige (Bubinga Top)
ESP LTD MH-103
Ibanez GiO with DiMarzio D-Activator X's!
'96(ish) Fender Stratocaster

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
JustRooster
Internet Bully
7,164 IQ
See my sig.

Quote by EyeNon15
Thats too bad, I was under the impression I was arguing something profound

saitenslayer
UG's Fender hater
772 IQ
spider valve
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
futsalman
216 IQ
roland jc-120 if you have some good pedals for metal
rlheart
I haz sammiches
636 IQ
Mesa Roadster most likely.
Ibanez S320 (ToneZone/PAF Pro)
Ibanez RG321MH (EMG 85/85)

Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+ 112 (w/V30)
Mesa Boogie 412 Rectifier Standard Cab
Peavey 412ms cab

Digitech Digidelay
Ibanez WD-7 (Wah)
Maxon OD808
Korg PitchBlack
VS Liquid Chorus
Wolffgang
228 IQ
I LOVE the JC-120, it's my baby, but I really wouldn't call it all that versatile. I mean if you want the best cleans EVER with the best chorus and the best reverb, it's your amp...

For versatility and price, I'd recommend the Valveking, preferrably the head version; it's got 100 tube watts, you can vary the ohms to pair with any cab, it has a Class A/AB voicing dial, and it takes pedals really well. Plenty of gain for most things, just add an OD if you need a little more. You should be able to get the head and a cab for under $1000.
JAustinMunn
823 IQ
Quote by rlheart
Mesa Roadster most likely.

I was looking at that, but it's around 2 grand.

I love the Roland Chorus... It IS great.

I haven't tried the Valveking. The only place that has it is Guitar Center, and that place is always terrible.
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
rlheart
I haz sammiches
636 IQ
Quote by JAustinMunn
I was looking at that, but it's around 2 grand.

my bad, for some reason I completely missed the "$1000" in the title

At that range, maybe a Carvin V3?

Also, it says you have a road king in your sig...

What are you looking for in particular?

You may be better off buying an amp that's good at one particular thing (clean, distortion, etc.) and A/B/Y'ing it.
Ibanez S320 (ToneZone/PAF Pro)
Ibanez RG321MH (EMG 85/85)

Peavey 6505
Peavey 6505+ 112 (w/V30)
Mesa Boogie 412 Rectifier Standard Cab
Peavey 412ms cab

Digitech Digidelay
Ibanez WD-7 (Wah)
Maxon OD808
Korg PitchBlack
VS Liquid Chorus
guitaruboy
1,575 IQ
you can get alot of amp for a grand. make sure you shop around. valve kings aren't too great, jc's are super heavy btw
Lurcher
Grumpy old hippy
81 IQ
Would be worth looking around for a Hiwatt HG50 combo. Cleans are typically Hiwatt but they have a special high gain channel that is supposed to rival the amps that are traditionally metal inclined. As they sell for around £600 ish should be bang on your budget.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Jan 10, 2010,
ShredMan1224
420 IQ
Quote by scumbagdarrel
digitech gsp1101

Isn't that a multi-effects processor? XD
Sampy
196 IQ
Used Line 6 Vetta?
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
scumbagdarrel
504 IQ
Quote by ShredMan1224
Isn't that a multi-effects processor? XD

yah it is but it has every sound you can imagine, but if you have the money axe-fx is the best you can buy
JAustinMunn
823 IQ
Quote by rlheart
my bad, for some reason I completely missed the "$1000" in the title

At that range, maybe a Carvin V3?

Also, it says you have a road king in your sig...

What are you looking for in particular?

You may be better off buying an amp that's good at one particular thing (clean, distortion, etc.) and A/B/Y'ing it.

Well, it's not for me really, but I will be the one buying it. I can't afford another one either... because I do think that my Road King is probably the most versatile out there.

I will try the V3 though, thank you!
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
ShredMan1224
420 IQ
Cool, too bad I don't have the money for that digitech.. XD
JAustinMunn
823 IQ
Quote by Sampy
Used Line 6 Vetta?

Those things are too digital. Amazing modeling stuff, but not great. The only decent sound I've heard from one of those things is Michael Romeo (Symphony X).
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Even Bigger D
CAE/Soldano Fan
350 IQ
This one's not even hard - a used Mesa Tremoverb head.

Country to metal and everything in between, and it all actually sounds REALLY good.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
CustomAxe
3,627 IQ
See my signature. The Atomic Reactor amp with a pod XT or a vox tonelab is, in my decade of experience buying and selling gear, absolutely the amost versatile combo available. You get 128 different sounds all available at the turn of a SINGLE knob with the pod, and the atomic amp provides an all-tube kick in the nuts.

Yes, a Mesa will sound better for certain things, or a Fender for cleans, or whatever (I've sampled many of those super high end amps that are $2K + as well)...but the Atomic amp gets you 90% of the way there IMO with unmatchable versatility and flexibility assuming you know how to work with a POD or another modeler. Just my 2 abraham lincolns.

And you can get a POD XT with an Atomic amp for well under $1K.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Last edited by CustomAxe at Jan 11, 2010,
JAustinMunn
823 IQ
Quote by CustomAxe
See my signature. The Atomic Reactor amp with a pod XT or a vox tonelab is, in my decade of experience buying and selling gear, absolutely the amost versatile combo available. You get 128 different sounds all available at the turn of a SINGLE knob with the pod, and the atomic amp provides an all-tube kick in the nuts.

Yes, a Mesa will sound better for certain things, or a Fender for cleans, or whatever (I've sampled many of those super high end amps that are $2K + as well)...but the Atomic amp gets you 90% of the way there IMO with unmatchable versatility and flexibility assuming you know how to work with a POD or another modeler. Just my 2 abraham lincolns.

And you can get a POD XT with an Atomic amp for well under $1K.

I've heard alot about the POD XT... but how good is it at switching on the fly? Can you hook one of those things up to a Midi footswitch or an FBV?

I was thinking about going the preamp-modeler route as well, but decided not to because I really didn't know what was going on (and the Roctron Prophesy II was too expensive).

And if I were to go with the modeling route, should I not just get a Peavey Vypyr Tube and a Sanpera pedal? (I know I said I didn't care for them, but that was only the solid state one. I haven't had any experience with the tube version).

EDIT: After some research into the Atomic Reactor amp, I think it's a good investment. The only thing I worry about is how it makes distortion sound... Since most tube amps utilize their natural distortion, why is it that a digital distortion through a tube amp would sound any better? Would you equate it to a footpedal?
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Last edited by JAustinMunn at Jan 11, 2010,
CustomAxe
3,627 IQ
Yep, I've got mine hooked up to a FBV shortboard as we speak, just as easy to switch on the fly as a Vetta amp with a floorboard, or any other amp with a footswitch. Idk about equating it to a foot pedal. The way I see it, the Atomic acts as an all tube poweramp and the pod as the preamp. It is specifically designed to integrate with modelers like the POD XT, Vox Tonelab, etc. All i know is mine sounds phenomenal. I dont have any experience with the Sanpera pedal, so I can't help you there.

The other thing that's important to note is that Tom at Atomic Amplifiers is, again in my decade of experience, the finest in customer service. He's the president of the freaking company and he answers every phone call personally. I'm willing to bet that if you try it and don't like it, he'd take it back.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Last edited by CustomAxe at Jan 11, 2010,
JAustinMunn
823 IQ
Quote by CustomAxe
Yep, I've got mine hooked up to a FBV shortboard as we speak, just as easy to switch on the fly as a Vetta amp with a floorboard, or any other amp with a footswitch. Idk about equating it to a foot pedal. The way I see it, the Atomic acts as an all tube poweramp and the pod as the preamp. It is specifically designed to integrate with modelers like the POD XT, Vox Tonelab, etc. All i know is mine sounds phenomenal. I dont have any experience with the Sanpera pedal, so I can't help you there.

The other thing that's important to note is that Tom at Atomic Amplifiers is, again in my decade of experience, the finest in customer service. He's the president of the freaking company and he answers every phone call personally. I'm willing to bet that if you try it and don't like it, he'd take it back.

That does good. I am very heavily leaning toward that path at the moment. I appreciate the reccomendation. And it's like you said... If I don't like it, I can always return it, right? I know I'll be able to return the POD and the FBV... Thanks very much for the reccomendation!
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
Dawnwalker
UG Addict
2,466 IQ
Quote by JAustinMunn
Those things are too digital. Amazing modeling stuff, but not great. The only decent sound I've heard from one of those things is Michael Romeo (Symphony X).

Don´t yer ever talk about the Vetta like this again.

Used Axe-fx?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
FallsDownStairs
Eric Johnson Fanatic
295 IQ
I'm going to throw this one out there as I haven't mentioned it in a while:

Ceriatone

Nik specializes in Marshall, Dumble, Fender, Vox, Matchless amps. All of them are under $1000 from what I've checked out, and you can either build them, or buy them pre built without tubes, or with tubes, etc.

You can also add mods to the amps. Just email him about what you're looking for, and he'll tell you what amp you should look into, or if he can mod an amp to take the characteristics of what you want.
JAustinMunn
823 IQ
Quote by FallsDownStairs
I'm going to throw this one out there as I haven't mentioned it in a while:

Ceriatone

Nik specializes in Marshall, Dumble, Fender, Vox, Matchless amps. All of them are under $1000 from what I've checked out, and you can either build them, or buy them pre built without tubes, or with tubes, etc.

You can also add mods to the amps. Just email him about what you're looking for, and he'll tell you what amp you should look into, or if he can mod an amp to take the characteristics of what you want.

Is Ceriatone a business or a user here on UG?

And is there really a tour with Eric Johnson and Joe Satriani? That's sweet!
Axes;
ESP LTD MH-103

Amps;
Mesa Boogie Road King II
Fender '65 Reissue

Joe Satriani's Group

Stop the Pick Gnomes!
FallsDownStairs
Eric Johnson Fanatic
295 IQ
Quote by JAustinMunn
Is Ceriatone a business or a user here on UG?

And is there really a tour with Eric Johnson and Joe Satriani? That's sweet!

Ceriatone is an amp manufacturer. As I said, they focus on copies of famous amps. Trainwreck clones, Dumble, HiWatt, Vox, Marshall, etc. Very affordable, you can build them yourself, or have Nik and people at Ceriatone build them for you.

Yeah, Joe and EJ are touring with the Experience Hendrix tour. I think it's Joe's first time touring with that tour, but EJ was on there last year and I think the year before.

Check EJ's site for the places they'll be performing, or just check experience hendrix's site.
Janicki
UG's Small Town Guitarist
536 IQ
Quote by JAustinMunn
I've heard alot about the POD XT... but how good is it at switching on the fly? Can you hook one of those things up to a Midi footswitch or an FBV?

I was thinking about going the preamp-modeler route as well, but decided not to because I really didn't know what was going on (and the Roctron Prophesy II was too expensive).

And if I were to go with the modeling route, should I not just get a Peavey Vypyr Tube and a Sanpera pedal? (I know I said I didn't care for them, but that was only the solid state one. I haven't had any experience with the tube version).

EDIT: After some research into the Atomic Reactor amp, I think it's a good investment. The only thing I worry about is how it makes distortion sound... Since most tube amps utilize their natural distortion, why is it that a digital distortion through a tube amp would sound any better? Would you equate it to a footpedal?

I have a Pod X3 Live, which works perfectly for switching on the fly, and to be honest it sounds great when I just use it through the PA straight, but I'm curious about these Atomic Reactors as well and may look into them. Either way, I think that the X3 Live is probably the best of all Modelers out there, and if this Atomic Reactor amp works half as good as he says it does, then the X3 will sound like heaven.
Gear:
ESP LTD Les Paul (Blackouts)
B.C. Rich Mockingbird (EMG 81/85)
Paul Reed Smith SE Single-Cut (Duncan Pickups)
Schecter C-1 Classic (Duncan Pickups)
Epiphone Les Paul
Seagull Entourage (Acoustic-Electric)

Marshall JVM210H + 1960A Cab