hi. I'm considering getting a cheap, but well-made guitar, purely to customize the electronics and hardware i.e. the pickups, the bridge, the tuners etc. it needs to look OK too any help? it can have any pickup combination cos it's probably being used for punk/pop/garage for example: antiflag, the ramones, green day, libertines, etc. also, any good pickups or hardware advice will be much appreciated!! ty
(L) R.I.P FoREVer (L)
Epiphone could be fine... just give it a new paintjob...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
I hear that lower end epiphones are really badly built though, is this true? thanks for the help already though guys, really appreciated.
(L) R.I.P FoREVer (L)
and also, is craigslist a US thing, cos I don't think I've ever heard of it?
(L) R.I.P FoREVer (L)
Quote by Syn-Vengeance
and also, is craigslist a US thing, cos I don't think I've ever heard of it?

it is predominatly US but it`s also available in UK, Europe and other global locations, just not widely used outside the US.
TBH I'd reckon you'd be better of modding that SE of yours or even just saving the cash for a new amp if you want a different sound to what you have now.
Looking at Cort, there are some in the G series that are Strat-like, X-2 is superstrat and the entry Z series is sorta Les Paul. Then there's Vintage and you can usually pick up a used V100 on the Bay for a bit over £100, their SGs retail for around £150 so lots of quite decent options.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Have a look at Rally Guitars they are meant to be quite good.

http://rallyguitars.co.uk/index2.htm
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
cheers guys, loads of help here, think immuna go with the eBaying epis and vintage and cort they seem pretty OK. and btw I don't wanna do up my PRS cos 1.I love it too much!! 2. It has an awesome sound for what I want it to do which is metal/hard rock but it also has amazing cleans for stuff like chili peppers 3. if I modded it, I couldn't get that sound and that defeats the point of what I want to do: but cheers anyway!!

thanks guys this has helped a lot already and I only posted it this morning!!
(L) R.I.P FoREVer (L)
Squier Classic Vibe Strat or Tele. Which one depends on your preference. Also, some Vintage's are quite good.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
+1 for the Vintage guitars! You can easily find a brand new V100 for under £200.
vintage: I know someone who has one they're nice, but does anyone know how good they will stay over time?
(L) R.I.P FoREVer (L)
You have to play a new Vintage, really as they can be reasonable to really unworkable straight from the box. I know a shop who sell them but reject over 50% as too bad to repair. Generally they are sorted by the time used ones get on ebay and some friends have bought that way with good results.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

monkey lord ML 1! IS made to be the perfect customizing guitar so check it out ( I think rob is over here...)
TH3 G3Ar
- JCM 900 SL-X and SV MKII 100HD with LIne 6 sv412
-Bunch of pedals ( WD,BM,NR-2...)
-Ibanez Universe uv777pbk,Rg 2550&321mh
-http://backtorlyeh.bandcamp.com/
I would get a hagstrom if i was you they are cheap and are high quality guitars. I first played a hagstrom and i could not believe how good they were. I was at my local guitar shop and the owner told me you have to check them out and I was floored by their quality and price.