Forgive me for this complete newbie question.

I have a $300ish dollar Ibanez electric guitar and small Marshall amp. I notice that whenever I turn up the volume of the amplifier, if I pluck just isolated string and stop it, other strings adjacent to it usually ring out lightly without touching them. So whenever I try playing anything, it seems like other strings that I'm nowhere near touching are ringing out causing a big mess of sounds. I'm wondering if this is normal and there's a technique to stop this? Maybe it's common for lower-end guitars?
Do you mean that if you play an E, there will be overtones and undertones along with the sympathetic strings also vibrating? That's a good thing. It just means the wood is resonant. You need to learn how to mute when it's undesirable. Or do you mean if you play the A-string, the E and D strings also vibrate? That's a bad thing. It might be the result of something like a part of the bridge being loose and vibrating the other strings.
what model ibby is it? (cacophonous is a big word for a Sunday)
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by JELIFISH19
Do you mean that if you play an E, there will be overtones and undertones along with the sympathetic strings also vibrating? That's a good thing. It just means the wood is resonant. You need to learn how to mute when it's undesirable. Or do you mean if you play the A-string, the E and D strings also vibrate? That's a bad thing. It might be the result of something like a part of the bridge being loose and vibrating the other strings.

I have no idea what you mean by the sympathetic strings and such, but it seems that the other strings also resonate very slightly. In order to stop it I can lightly touch the other strings and it will stop. When I see videos on youtube of people playing, it seems their fingers are arched over the other strings to play specific ones and clean notes are coming out. When I try this, the other strings ring out slightly as well.

The guitar came from a jumpstart pack like this but doesn't have the tremolo. Other than that it looks identical.
When you play a string it vibrates, this vibration transfers to the guitar body which in turn transfers it to all the other strings.

It's normal, it takes time to develop the techniques required to mute unwanted strings whilst playing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
This sounds like my problem. Have any links to articles I can read to develop these techniques?
Quote by Shoruken
This sounds like my problem. Have any links to articles I can read to develop these techniques?

It'll come naturally when you improve
probably overtones but it could need a set up or fret job. Also could be your playing your fingers may be touching other strings and your not realizing it,
Last edited by scumbagdarrel at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by Shoruken

do a search on the forum for "unwanted string noise";"muting unwanted strings";"playing cleanly"....etc, it`s a topic that gets covered regularly in the guitar techniques forum.