anyone use compression during solos either clean or distorted? im trying to figure out how much of a necessity a comp pedal would be in my rig

thanks ug
a compressor makes a hell of a difference to your overall tone as well
i have a comp running after my tube screamer the into my amp
nothing else is run at all and i think that is the nicest sound i can produce with an amp
just tightens up the whole sound and produces a reall nice heavy but clean sound even wen distorted heavily still makes it a world of differences

look into the ehx compressors as they have tubes which make it even tighter sound
Quote by Stretch_Wilson
a compressor makes a hell of a difference to your overall tone as well
i have a comp running after my tube screamer the into my amp
nothing else is run at all and i think that is the nicest sound i can produce with an amp
just tightens up the whole sound and produces a reall nice heavy but clean sound even wen distorted heavily still makes it a world of differences

look into the ehx compressors as they have tubes which make it even tighter sound

I'm not too sure about that.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Personallly I dislike compressors. They totally ruin any pick attack response your amplifier has.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Personallly I dislike compressors. They totally ruin any pick attack response your amplifier has.

This.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by bubb_tubbs

I suppose. But it really depends what kind of music you play. Compressors may be good for shredding/metal where pick attack isn't all that important. For blues or jazz, then yeah, I can understand.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Quote by bubb_tubbs

This is generally very true.

The only "solo-specific" comp usage I've found helpful is with low-output pups, high gain, and tapping scenarios.
Things like dynacomps are perfect for that.

I don't like to tap dance, so I cut the middle ground with a tonepress., and I leave it on, with the compression very aggressive but the blend very low.
Of course, it diminishes some pick feel, and adds a little noise (not enough to worry except in sick-gain territory), and I never turn it off.

I dislike the feel, but it DOES make a definite improvement.
Maybe not in tone or feel, but certainly in "professionalism".

Basically, I hate it, but the audience/sound tech loves it...
I don't really understand using a compressor during a solo, maybe for sweeps or tapping it's okay to balance your overall output signal, but for almost every solo I play, I like putting a lot of feeling into it, wich I think with a compressor isn't that good.
I rather improve my own technique. Be it the control of your attack or the sustain you can get from controlling a vibrato. Just look at my profile and you'll see. =P

Besides, I wouldn't want a drummer boasting about his control is way above mine when he is just smashing things around, but that's just me!
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

that's why they come with handy on/off switches.

i think they're awesome for certain things,like getting a soother tone out of dirt pedals or controlled feedback, but i don't think they're 'keeponallthetime' pedals.

use a compressor like you would a phaser: to add something to a solo instead of taking it over.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by Jhachey22
that's why they come with handy on/off switches.

i think they're awesome for certain things,like getting a soother tone out of dirt pedals or controlled feedback, but i don't think they're 'keeponallthetime' pedals.

use a compressor like you would a phaser: to add something to a solo instead of taking it over.

On/off switches are really only useful if you ever intend to turn the unit ON in the first place.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Lots of talented guitarists, such as Devin Townsend, David Gilmour and Steven Wilson, use compressors for solos and they all manage to maintain their feel, emotion and expression. Besides, when you are playing with distortion, your signal is by it's very nature already compressed.

For me, my Traynor YCS50 doesn't have a lot of sustain, so I tend to use a compressor. On the other hand, my Egnater Renegade sustains effortlessly and so I rely on my awesome vibrato technique as a means of control.

These day, there are quite a few compressors that come with a blend knob (Barber Tone Press, Wampler Ego Comp, Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone), which allow you to achieve sustain whilst retaining your pick attack/dynamics.
Last edited by Acoustic#3 at Jan 10, 2010,
Clean solos, maybe. Dirty solos - the overdrive is already compressing the signal, nothing else is needed. Of course if you want to use compression as an effect (to change the envelope of the notes) you might find something useful. I'd worry about cranking up enough to make your solos heard. Maybe 5 players out of 100 do this - and that's on a good day.
Quote by HellBoy9393
Compressors may be good for shredding/metal where pick attack isn't all that important.

Sorry, say that again?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^ How many shredding solos have you heard where the guitarist adjusts his picking dynamics in the middle of massive tapping and sweep picking?

Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ How many shredding solos have you heard where the guitarist adjusts his picking dynamics in the middle of massive tapping and sweep picking?

Dragonfor...
Panter....
Bewtween the Buried an....
Slip....

DAMN YOU!
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.