Can a Dimarzio Tone Zone handle Progressive, Power, and Classic Metal?

I am very interested on those genres.. and would play almost anything that sound good.. would the Tone Zone do the job? I use a Vox VT30... but don't mind the amp the pickup change won't come anytime soon..
Not really no, it's more a shred pickup - the Breed is what you want.

Have a listen to the amp clips in my profile, that's a Breed-equipped guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i have the tonezone in my rg nd imo it handles those genres very well
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I think the Tone Zone would be a lot better than the Breed. The Breed is meant to be PAF-like and has the output of a hot-rodded PAF. It doesn't have the articulation or compression that you would probably want for progressive and power metal. I think the Tone Zone is a better match than the Breed, but I think something hotter would do the job better. Something like an Evo (Dragonforce) or Crunchlab (Dream Theater) would be good.
Thanks on the advice everyone..
how about the characteristics of the pickups that were mentioned above?
I need to narrow things down... and while we're gonna be talking about the pickups.. how about an amp and effects with I think $500 price tag that could go with it... (this is gonna be one heck of a saving.. XD)

@JELIFISH19, love the RG2550Z... too bad someone beat me to it.. XD
Quote by JELIFISH19
I think the Tone Zone would be a lot better than the Breed. The Breed is meant to be PAF-like and has the output of a hot-rodded PAF. It doesn't have the articulation or compression that you would probably want for progressive and power metal. I think the Tone Zone is a better match than the Breed, but I think something hotter would do the job better. Something like an Evo (Dragonforce) or Crunchlab (Dream Theater) would be good.

I have both and I don't think the Tone Zone is all that great - it's simply too full on and in-your-face for anything other than flashy lead stuff. The Breed is far more versatile and organic sounding, and if you're saying it lacks articulation you've obviously never used it. There's a compressed quality to the sound there too, it's just not overpoweringly so...simply enough to give it a more contemporary edge. The Tone Zone manages to be bassy without a shred of warmth and it's TOO compressed and focussed for effective rhythm work.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by steven seagull

I have both and I don't think the Tone Zone is all that great - it's simply too full on and in-your-face for anything other than flashy lead stuff. The Breed is far more versatile and organic sounding, and if you're saying it lacks articulation you've obviously never used it. There's a compressed quality to the sound there too, it's just not overpoweringly so...simply enough to give it a more contemporary edge. The Tone Zone manages to be bassy without a shred of warmth and it's TOO compressed and focussed for effective rhythm work.

well that's nice.. is there any other substitute for the Breed? let's just say parts are quite hard to get here and I would rather go with a substitute if there are any.. XD..
I have the Tone Zone in my Warlock, wasn't happy with the stock BDSM nor the Gibson 498T. It's a good pickup, but to me sounds more like a mid to low growl sound.
Guitars: Agile AL-2000 FR / B.C. Rich Warlock
Amps: Vox Lil Night Train / Vox AC4TV8 / Dean Markley K-150
Rack: ADA MP-1 / ADA MP-2 / Quadraverb / Rocktron Hush (definitely need a power amp)
Some pedals, some other stuff
It's Michael Romeo's neck pickup, so I guess that reinforces the whole flashy lead aspect *shrugs*
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by steven seagull

I have played both in basswood guitars. I agree with with most of what you're saying except for the compression thing. Most metal players need compression so absolutely nothing is lost in the mix. That's why EMGs and super hot passives are so popular in the genre. It allows for a very consistent attack which is extremely hard to do while playing fast. They're both great pickups, but I just think there are better pickups for the genres in question.

Excerpt from Breed Description - "Picking hard will generate a lot of voltage, but a softer attack will clean up the sound of an overdriven amp."

Excerpt from Tone Zone Description - "hard picking will produce a lot of power, and softer picking will be much cleaner and quieter"

Those are desirable characteristics for a lot of players, but balls to the wall metal players who need everything to be heard would often rather have an "everything always on 10" pickup.
^
This. My guitar came with Duncan Distortion clones (which will be replaced as soon as is humanly possible), both of which are designed for metal. I don't play that heavy that often, so what I ended up doing was adjusting the pickups WAY lower than normal (the neck pickup is actually flush with the ring) to be able to get more dynamics out of them. It works as a stopgap. You play metal though, so I'd be looking into the X2N, D-Activator, D-Activator X, Evolution, or D-Sonic/Liquifire sets (John Petrucci uses those)
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I just got DiMarzio D Activator on the bridge on my RGT42DX (LiquiFire on the neck). I'm very happy. It's hot, clear, and versatile. Adjust little things here and there with the positioning and low mid high on the amp and it'll serve you fine for many things.