Poll: salmon philippe v Blind in 1 Ear
Poll Options
View poll results: salmon philippe v Blind in 1 Ear
salmon philippe
9 69%
Blind in 1 Ear
4 31%
Voters: 13.
Listen to both tracks and vote for your favourite. Please make constructive comments explaining your vote so we can all learn what to improve on...

salmon philippe: http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/salmon+philippe/music/play766776

Blind in 1 Ear: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XckmycAFZT0

Voting is open for 7 days.

Best of luck with the duel!
A little explanation about my song: I made the backing track myself recording first the bass then the accoustic guitar and the percussions and finaly the solo.
Wow, both you guys are great. Im sure its going to be very very close. How did you record all that simon and get that kind of sound quality?
Quote by jpnyc
You are what they call a “rhythm guitarist”. While it's not as glamorous as playing lead you can still get laid. Especially if you can sing and play.

Beer is the solutions to the world's problems.

this one was a hard one for me. I liked them both pretty much equally. In the end I went went with salmon philippe just because there was more emothion comming through.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by hitman_47
Wow, both you guys are great. Im sure its going to be very very close. How did you record all that simon and get that kind of sound quality?

I suppose simon = salmon lol... thanks for the compliment
my sound quality comes from my Mic (fostex) and my cubase software maybe , well in fact , I really don't know why it sounds good , I took some lessons with a sound ingeneer to optimize my limited gears ...
you can see the detail of my reccording gear in my blog here :
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/salmon+philippe/blog/74492/

Hitman, you should take care of the level in and out come (no more than -6dB) when you reccord , try not to produce distortion, I also send to UG my MP3s in 192 Kb instead of 128 , the sound is better.
I liked oth tracks very much. I wasn't so keen on the fast, almost shred IMO, parts of Blind's though so I voted for salmon.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
ha looks like im losing this one

ah well. but people, lets try a get away from "more emotion" as a reason for voting. theres no way to tell who played with more emotion here. i put my heart and soul into every note i play and im sure salmon does too.

Quote by RubberSoul54321
I liked oth tracks very much. I wasn't so keen on the fast, almost shred IMO, parts of Blind's though so I voted for salmon.

i had a feeling some people might not like that but hey, thats how i play. im thinking next time ill do some slide. i was hoping to do some in the next round but it looks like i wont make it there
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Jan 11, 2010,
^^ Nothing wrong with it man, I just needed something to make me pick a favourite and that was it. Loved the rest of the track.
"I didn't mean to kill nobody ... I just meant to shoot the sonofabitch in the head. Him dying was between him and the Lord." RL Burnside.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC
Wow guys that was pretty damn good,but salmon gets the vote based on the amount of emotion and feeling he gets into his music.Pity there has to be a winner
Tom
Quote by oilywrag
Wow guys that was pretty damn good,but salmon gets the vote based on the amount of emotion and feeling he gets into his music.Pity there has to be a winner
Tom

*sigh* theres no way to gauge how much emotion a person plays with. i assure you i put all my heart into every note......i think i may have just played more notes than salmon did if his playing made YOU feel more emotion, so be it. dont confuse that with the players emotional input.

we both express ourselves in different ways. just pick the one you liked best please and leave abstract ideas that cant be proven either way, like emotion, out of it please.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
*sigh* theres no way to gauge how much emotion a person plays with. i assure you i put all my heart into every note......i think i may have just played more notes than salmon did if his playing made YOU feel more emotion, so be it. dont confuse that with the players emotional input.

we both express ourselves in different ways. just pick the one you liked best please and leave abstract ideas that cant be proven either way, like emotion, out of it please.

Dude. It's their opinion. Relax. Did you learn nothing from that gigantic rant thread of yours?
Quote by carmour
Dude. It's their opinion. Relax. Did you learn nothing from that gigantic rant thread of yours?

i think some people just need to re-think their phrasing. theres no real way to judge how much either of us played with. all you can judge is how either of our playing made you feel. its not the same thing. people should be judging technique, tone, rhythm, "feel" (as in the groove of the song, could also be under rhythm), phrasing, etc... all of those are opinions as they are based on personal taste. how much emotion either of us played with isnt an opinion. you are stating it as it can be quantifiable, which isnt opinion.
Salmon, that's damn awesome! I like that percussion (besides the solo obviously). I like it a lot when people make their own backing tracks. All I ever do it download a backing track or get a karaoke version of a song that I love and rape the pentatonic scale over it .
You have some awesome stuff man. You're a serious threat for the ones that usually make it to the final rounds (read, Strawforest).

Blind, I thought that you couldn't compete against salmon after such a nice tune, but you did it. That's some serious tone, and phrasing out there. Not only an awesome technique, but a lot of emotion. A lot of Eric Johnson over there.
Also, great vibrato man. Only thing I'd watch out is the bends.

Had to go with blind. That man could win the duels. That's been my favorite entry so far.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

ha looks like im losing this one

ah well. but people, lets try a get away from "more emotion" as a reason for voting. theres no way to tell who played with more emotion here. i put my heart and soul into every note i play and im sure salmon does too.

I don't think the guys are really judging the "emotion" you and I gave while we were playing but the one and only emotion they could feel when listening to our music.
there is no objectivity in this ... if they would only judge by the technique ... you would certainely win, Blind , but it is not over yet ...
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
i think some people just need to re-think their phrasing. theres no real way to judge how much either of us played with. all you can judge is how either of our playing made you feel. its not the same thing. people should be judging technique, tone, rhythm, "feel" (as in the groove of the song, could also be under rhythm), phrasing, etc... all of those are opinions as they are based on personal taste. how much emotion either of us played with isnt an opinion. you are stating it as it can be quantifiable, which isnt opinion.

OK so I take it that you ain't that happy at the moment,perhaps you my like this even less.Before I start I will say this what you have done is far better than I can at this moment in time thats a compliment,But hey if we are to be objective then your peice does not tell a story in the same way simons does,it leaves me with a feeling of hey this is what i do best.One or even a few of the bends a lazy.the are some very deffinate pauses between phrases that make me wonder did you learn the peice well enough to record.One word of advice perhaps would be that if this is your best effort then taking one step back from this would have in my opinion been better.You song leaves me in no doubt that you are a good guitar player and the tone is cool.This post iss meant in a helpful way please take it like that..

Tom
Quote by oilywrag
OK so I take it that you ain't that happy at the moment,perhaps you my like this even less.Before I start I will say this what you have done is far better than I can at this moment in time thats a compliment,But hey if we are to be objective then your peice does not tell a story in the same way simons does,it leaves me with a feeling of hey this is what i do best.One or even a few of the bends a lazy.the are some very deffinate pauses between phrases that make me wonder did you learn the peice well enough to record.One word of advice perhaps would be that if this is your best effort then taking one step back from this would have in my opinion been better.You song leaves me in no doubt that you are a good guitar player and the tone is cool.This post iss meant in a helpful way please take it like that..

Tom

no no, im not unhappy at all. i think salmon's piece was way better than mine overall. as soon as i heard it i knew i lost haha i just dont think emotional input is a valid thing to talk about. its not even helpful to me. saying i need "more emotion" is like saying i need "more tone". it doesnt really mean much.

i thank you for your comments though. i agree, some bends were off, phrasing could have been better. i think the problem was that yes, i didnt know the track well enough. i didnt really know how long it was either and it kind of throws me off. i have a little trouble playing with backing tracks because its like someone saying "play good for this long". i feel my playing is better in actual song situations where i can break out from the song instead of providing the meoldy throughout. i love instrumental music like eric johnson, but i dont think im that good at it yet.

but yes im thinking i should have played a little more reserved. i should have learned the song better and maybe come up with a melody line and then a solo.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
no no, im not unhappy at all. i think salmon's piece was way better than mine overall. as soon as i heard it i knew i lost haha i just dont think emotional input is a valid thing to talk about. its not even helpful to me. saying i need "more emotion" is like saying i need "more tone". it doesnt really mean much.

i thank you for your comments though. i agree, some bends were off, phrasing could have been better. i think the problem was that yes, i didnt know the track well enough. i didnt really know how long it was either and it kind of throws me off. i have a little trouble playing with backing tracks because its like someone saying "play good for this long". i feel my playing is better in actual song situations where i can break out from the song instead of providing the meoldy throughout. i love instrumental music like eric johnson, but i dont think im that good at it yet.

but yes im thinking i should have played a little more reserved. i should have learned the song better and maybe come up with a melody line and then a solo.

Before I wrote the reply,I was on you tube,hving a listen to some other stuff on your channel,some pretty good ideas that can be developed.A good friend of mine said of lead playing that it was the same as telling a story,pull the listener along and show him things along the way.Most of all enjoy what you do.

Tom
Anyway, finally got around to voting. Went for Blind, he had WAY better control and phrasing in his playing, and with a little restraint (holding off on the fast runs until later on in the solo, and not doing them often), and some planning (like you said, knowing a melody you can start and end the solo with, maybe some nice chord melody bits early on, just something to give it more variation and take some of the weight off the main solo). You've got a nice vibrato and attack though .
Quote by oilywrag
Before I wrote the reply,I was on you tube,hving a listen to some other stuff on your channel,some pretty good ideas that can be developed.A good friend of mine said of lead playing that it was the same as telling a story,pull the listener along and show him things along the way.Most of all enjoy what you do.

Tom

well i do try to tell a story, but sometimes i get a little carried away though. and dont worry, i enjoy what i do very much maybe im a little biased but i thought i did an alright job telling a story with my playing i mean, it was all improvised in one take so i guess if i did more takes and developed something, it would have been better. btw, my name is Tom too

Quote by carmour
Anyway, finally got around to voting. Went for Blind, he had WAY better control and phrasing in his playing, and with a little restraint (holding off on the fast runs until later on in the solo, and not doing them often), and some planning (like you said, knowing a melody you can start and end the solo with, maybe some nice chord melody bits early on, just something to give it more variation and take some of the weight off the main solo). You've got a nice vibrato and attack though .

thank you for your comments. my vibrato is something i work on a lot. i feel its probably one of the most important things for a player to have. as for speed, i guess we all have different tastes about how much or little should be used. looking back, there are some sections that could maybe be backed off a bit on the speed. next time i think i wont just go improv a take. ill spend some time coming up with some more melodic ideas.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Jan 13, 2010,
Have to go with Salmon because the tracks concept is better.

I would say, that Blind has got a better technique or presents it to us in a better way, but Salmons song had got a good structure and Blinds was...a Jam. And Salmon has done an original whereas Blind used a backing track.
Thanks Jazzman , you made a good abstract of the situation , I agree with you...
I am also a bit more severe with those who are using external backing tracks...