I love the drums for Emergency Broadcast :: The End Is Near by Underoath off Lost in the Sound of Separation. They double tracked them and had 2 drummers play at the same time. Sounds mad hearing small changes in the fills and improvisations in each ear. Haven't come across that before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewyUFZE5LcY
U2's drums in the 90's (sometimes only 3 or 4 mics and nothing in stereo)

Bob Dylan's drums on Modern Times (only about 4ish mics)

Collective Soul using an Earthworks TC series mic on a guitar cab and getting a crazy fat sound out of it.

pretty much everything in Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight.
Though probably other bands have done this, Tom Delonge of Angels & Airwaves uses a mix of several combo amps when recording to get his sound. He uses 2 Vox AC-30s and 2 Fender Twin Reverbs each running stereo then blending the sound of them to get his sound.

I don't have the money for all of that amp wise (or the place to record 4 full tube amps) but thanks to amp modeling software I've been able to at least mess with recording like that. I've been very happy with the results which lead to a very full sounding guitar.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by Drummerrrrr?
I love the drums for Emergency Broadcast :: The End Is Near by Underoath off Lost in the Sound of Separation. They double tracked them and had 2 drummers play at the same time. Sounds mad hearing small changes in the fills and improvisations in each ear. Haven't come across that before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewyUFZE5LcY

david bendeth is a genius mang
i love those hard panned drums
Everything Animal Collective has ever done. Specifically, recording a sample, reversing it, adding reverb, then resampling it and reversing that to get a backwards reverb effect. They use it on vocals so that then it's played back, the reverse reverb brings out some of the words before they're actually sung, giving a strange ghost effect. Absolutely amazing.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Everything Animal Collective has ever done. Specifically, recording a sample, reversing it, adding reverb, then resampling it and reversing that to get a backwards reverb effect. They use it on vocals so that then it's played back, the reverse reverb brings out some of the words before they're actually sung, giving a strange ghost effect. Absolutely amazing.

Can I have links to some examples? Your description makes that sound awesome. To contribute, I really like small or simple studio effects most people wouldn't notice. On this one Shinedown song (I think either Call Me or Second Chance), there's a guitar faded all the way to one side of the mix. You almost can't hear the guitar, but it has this really strong, choppy tremelo on it. I don't think I'd notice it if I wasn't a guitar player, but I though it was such a cool texturing technique. I also really like the effects of good panning, like at the end of Satch Boogie. I don't think it's a perfect example of where to put such an effect, but the first time I heard that chord I was like "Whoa! That was huge!)
Quote by blasphemy101
Can I have links to some examples? Your description makes that sound awesome.

I forget which songs they do it in, but there are ridiculous effects on every song. Try some of these, I think brothersport may have some of that effect:
my girls: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zol2MJf6XNE&feature=fvw
summertime clothes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxhaRgJUMl8&feature=channel
brothersport: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGQjyGT1-mc
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Dream Pin
david bendeth is a genius mang
i love those hard panned drums

Yeah I got my Special Edition Lost in the Sound of Seperation today. He seemed to have ruffled the band up a fair bit haha but he did a great job with the album.
I always thought adding phaser to the drum track sounded cool. Ive heard it in a Led Zeppelin song (kashmir?) and in a few other songs.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by Drummerrrrr?
Yeah I got my Special Edition Lost in the Sound of Seperation today. He seemed to have ruffled the band up a fair bit haha but he did a great job with the album.

bands always get ruffled up by producers because musicians tend to be absolute morons. ^_____^
lost in the sound of seperation is easily their best album to date \m/ it was worth the bands strife..
Quote by ChucklesMginty
I've always liked the production on Devin Townsend's solo albums because they create a wall of sound like nothing else I've heard.

I'll second that. He produces, mixes and engineers everything on his albums, next to being a very very good and original guitar player and pretty much the best metal vocalist around, though I definitely dont like everything he makes.

I'm also a huge Daniel Lanois fan so everything he's produced (Peter Gabriel's So, U2's The Joshua Tree, Emyllou Harris's Wrecking Ball etc) are all amazing albums and productions.
Last edited by FrigoEU at Jan 11, 2010,