Can you get money back from student finance if university is closed?

All my lectures and lessons for the last week have been cancelled because of the weather, yet I'm still paying through my arsehole for them.

I don't understand how everyone else on my course can be so overjoyed at the cancellation of voluntary education that they are paying for.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
You won't be able to get it back.

University today is sort of a joke. It's really self-education you could do the same in your own time, however self studying doesn't give you a 'Piece of paper' so we have to pay all this money to go to university.

This term my lesson times are six hours per week... SIX! I'm paying £3,225 a year for that. I could have a job, pay bills and have some money to buy new gear and stuff and still find that amount of time to study. Of course I spend some more time self studying, the majority in fact. But I could still very easily do the studying on my own terms in a shorter period of time and come out with better skills.

Unfortunately I need that piece of paper to get foreign visa's and to attract employee's >_>
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Daniel8488

University today is sort of a joke. It's really self-education you could do the same in your own time

Lulz, speak for yourself mate.
Quote by rabidguitarist
I don't understand how everyone else on my course can be so overjoyed at the cancellation of voluntary education that they are paying for.

Because they aren't paying for it, their parents are most likely.
Either that or they aren't really seeing the full picture, bit thick maybe?
How does one pay trough an arsehole?
I don't think you can get money back unless you take legal action, wich is stupid in this case.
No you cant and believe me Ive asked.

They practically put the phone down on me.

Still. I enjoy my course and enjoy doing my own self study at home when the uni is closed. Kinda want that good degree at the end of this year.

Edit:

I'd be pissed if the lab was closed tomorrow because that will put me a day behind my research.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Jan 10, 2010,
when it snowed last year we got our seminars rescheduled later on, mostly in the evenings so you could e-mail your tutors or who you go to and ask if that's a possibility.
Quote by rabidguitarist
All my lectures and lessons for the last week have been cancelled because of the weather, yet I'm still paying through my arsehole for them.

Probably not.
My uni is closed too, but we undergrads weren't due back till next week anyway.

...I get the feeling all the pipes in my house are going to be broken when I go back to it

Because their parents are paying for it, not them.
Quote by Daniel8488
You won't be able to get it back.

University today is sort of a joke. It's really self-education you could do the same in your own time, however self studying doesn't give you a 'Piece of paper' so we have to pay all this money to go to university.

If your uni course is the kind of stuff that you could do on your own then you need to go to a better uni/do a different course.
I couldn't do mine on my own.
This term my lesson times are six hours per week... SIX! I'm paying £3,225 a year for that. I could have a job, pay bills and have some money to buy new gear and stuff and still find that amount of time to study. Of course I spend some more time self studying, the majority in fact. But I could still very easily do the studying on my own terms in a shorter period of time and come out with better skills.

Free Education FTW
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
No, you're not paying by the lecture.

You're not really paying for lectures anyway, you're paying to sit exams and have them marked. Lectures will get you a 2:2 in the end, if you have a week off it's the perfect opportunity to consult the literature that'll get you a 1st.
not likely, and you can expect some make up classes in the end of the semester.

Edit to Daniel; are you sure you could do it on your own. I have known people who come up to me and say "Oh ya, I read that and thought it was easy," but when asked to explain what they read they got it wrong, at least to a degree. You might think you understand something whenn you do not, that is what prof's are for, to help you fill in the gaps in knowledge and things that are not written of in books.

And belly aching about 6 hours of classes. From the standpoint of a student may sit in class for 6 hours a week, when in undergrad I averaged about 8 hours, you also have to do readings, reseach in a library, type up assignments on computers, maybe meet with other class mates on groups projects, etc...What are you doing man!

And do not forget the prof's. You think they just show up and pull lectures out of their asses? They have to prepare lectures, handouts, exams, and add to that they are likely researching writing of their own that will be the basis of a paper or article submitted to an academica journal.
Last edited by TwistedLogic at Jan 10, 2010,
Well of course it depends what course you are studying.

But for me personally, I guess it's as good as what I put into, but that still doesn't make it seem fair that I have to pay £3,225 a year plus all the expenditure on books and learning materials. I'm studying a Bsc in computer animation and the reason being I need a degree to get working Visa's abroad, specifically for the USA. I've already worked in studios in England as a 3D artist/ Animator and I was self taught, so you can teach yourself these subjects. It just takes a little dedication on your own part, also I understand that I'm paying for lecturer's time and all the preparation that goes into assignments and stuff, but from what I've gathered most of the time the work doesn't even relate to the subject and this has been stated from students from across the country (At least for Animation), or if it is by some chance related it will be on the ethical issues of something, which at the end of the day won't get you a job as an animator or artist. Don't really know where I'm going with this post, just needed to vent my disappointment at some of the reports that I've had to write up... I actually love University, it's full of great people and some intelligent lecturers who actually know there subjects, but a lot of the time it's all swept aside for work that can easily be compared and marked accordingly.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
No you fucking can't.

They've probably only closed the campus so they can swim in baths of your money, then sit around laughing with your money as they deliberately downmark your work

/venting
Quote by Daniel8488
It's really self-education you could do the same in your own time

So what exactly are you "studying"?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
It's exam time for me so I'm not missing any lectures anyway. Plus my amount of lectures has only gone down this year because of project work. I had about 20-25 hours a week for the first 2 years. Plus the extra work needed.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

There really is Almost no point in college if you really think about it, alotof the classes you could take in high school, and all you get out of college is a slightly better education, and a pretty piece of paper that says you have a certain amount of knowledge to assist you in getting a job. that is why trade school is better IMO.
Rofl?

Lol Cross. The Power of LOL Compels you!
Quote by 1avatar328
There really is Almost no point in college if you really think about it, alotof the classes you could take in high school, and all you get out of college is a slightly better education, and a pretty piece of paper that says you have a certain amount of knowledge to assist you in getting a job. that is why trade school is better IMO.

So in what way is trade school not also getting a pretty piece of paper that assists you in getting a job?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by 1avatar328

In UK speak highschool = up to GCSE and College = A Level. Am I right?

Because if you mean highschool = up to A Level and College = Degree, then I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Quote by 1avatar328

Lord, there's a lot of generalising going on there, darling.
I know you couldn't get it back over here in the States, but I'm not sure about England.
I'd be annoyed if my uni was closed. We've hardly had any snow here in Norwich though. As far as I know though, UEA has never closed due to snow. I think most lecturers walk/cycle in. Seminars/lectures would be cancelled on an individual basis only.
What annoys me is that they want to raise university fees. As if paying £3225 a year to not go to university isn't bad enough.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Why do the unis even shut? The weather really hasn't been that bad, most unis are quite accessible anyway.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Quote by 1avatar328

lol im doing an HND and i disapprove of this comment.I learned quiete a lot of shit this year.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by OddOneOut
I'd be annoyed if my uni was closed. We've hardly had any snow here in Norwich though. As far as I know though, UEA has never closed due to snow. I think most lecturers walk/cycle in. Seminars/lectures would be cancelled on an individual basis only.
What annoys me is that they want to raise university fees. As if paying £3225 a year to not go to university isn't bad enough.

I suspect it has something to do with the cuts discussed in this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8453360.stm
Quote by Cal UK
I suspect it has something to do with the cuts discussed in this link http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8453360.stm

It just sucks all over.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8404788.stm
Actually, this is what sucks even more. Why not pick on humanities? Sciences need more funding then humanities.
Quote by Renka

Surely they'll just reschedule them for a later date? It's what they do at my university anyway.
The DNA results show that Jeremy Kyle is a nob.

Quote by titsmcgee852
I want to look at your sexual naked body.
Quote by OddOneOut
It just sucks all over.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8404788.stm
Actually, this is what sucks even more. Why not pick on humanities? Sciences need more funding then humanities.

That seems crazy, I'm a humanities student and I can see that! I think it has something to do with the UK no longer having as large an engineering based economy. Classic NuLab slap dash, fast, reactionary decisions!
Quote by Cal UK
That seems crazy, I'm a humanities student and I can see that! I think it has something to do with the UK no longer having as large an engineering based economy. Classic NuLab slap dash, fast, reactionary decisions!

Haha, yeah my flat is 4/5 humanities. All they do is read the books they bought themselves, use Word and a printer and go to a few lectures and maybe a seminar. About 6 hours a week. 8 if they're lucky.
Quote by Renka