K so I'm in this band and me and the drummer are the only good players (no offense to my bandmates) so me and him don't have any problem with playing. But I'm having to teach the other guitarist and our singer how to sing (I sing as well), and sometimes the drummer forgets what he was playing and I have to play it for him real quick (I drum too) and I have to tell our bassist what to play cuz he doesn't know (I also play bass). I'm pretty much telling everyone what to do and come up with 98% of the stuff we play. Having two guitarists, our other one said we should play two different parts cuz usually when a band has two guitarists one plays like the chords and the other one plays single notes and fancy crap. Aaaaaaaaand I'll admit I dunno how to come up with stuff like that. I've never tried. Can anyone give me any ideas on what to do for a second guitar part? I've listened to alot of bands that do that sorta thing and I just don't know how they come up with it lol and also I try to keep it simple for right now cuz of the playing skill of the other guitarist but right now all the songs we come up with have the same dull palm muted power chords for the verse and then a chorus that's not palm muted but it's just still just four chords for both the verse and the chorus. Any help with that? :/
Sounds like my band. Except if you don't know how to solo randomly, your bandmates must be way shittier than mine.
“Baaaaabe,baaaaabe,baaaabe....”
~ Robert plant on being asked what his favorite food was

~ Robert Plant at his Grammy acceptance speech

~ Robert Plant all the time
Harmonize some leads in thirds. Ive been in your situation. The first band I played in I was well above the rest in terms of what I could do and play. So I had to teach the other guitarist. Id give him the power chords, he just wanted to be in a band, so I told him if he wanted to stay he'd need to practice what I showed him, and he did, he became really solid. What you need is people willing to work on their parts. If they are not, then you prety much are in a situation thats not going to get far, and then you have to decide if you are going to be happier playing in a garage band where no one cares about being good (Or worse, thinks that they are already good), or playing with no one. If there are other bands around that seem better suited, then try and join them. Otherwise take what you can from the learning experience of dealing with a band like that.
try doing octaves rather than power chords atleast it will sound a little different
what kind of music? I could help you with like blues leads, but not metal ones, never looked at it.
also, if I were you, I would quit the band, and take the drummer with me. Although in my first band I was like that for a while (sucking, I mean) and I turned out ok. but the band broke up. anyway... listen to a band called "The Tragically Hip" from canada. The lead guitar player is one of the best ive ever heard, not skill wise but the leads he does are amazing. great band.
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
I think, you should be a bit more supportive of your band mates.
JUST ANOTHER ANNOYING BIG STATUS
the best advice i have is to look for other musicians, with more experience, even if you write all the music, i write all the music and words in my band but i'm not teaching them, and there are always new arrangements from them, that way you have more ideas working on songs. Well i bet your band plays punk rock so you can try to do some melodies while the other one play chords or octave chords, thirds, even inverse chords, hear a lot of bands in the genre or any band that you like with two guitarists or maybe even more, you should hear a lot of ideas, good luck
K thanks. Yeah well Idrk what genre we are cuz we all don't really have a specific genre we like. We like it all really, so that's cool. The main problem is with our singer cuz she can't think of words to go with what we do or we can't think of stuff to go with what she writes. It's mainly just a timing issue, she says we go too fast, but if we go any slower it's just gonna have this dragging on feeling. And this is the first band I've been in for a reason, all the other ones are into only ONE genre, or even copying only ONE band, and it's all hardcore extreme screamo stuff like suicide silence and winds of plague and white chapel. I like that sorta stuff, but I can't imagine playing it ALL the time. Besides, they all already have like six people in all of those bands, so this is really what I've been stuck with, and I've been looking for a long time. So yeah, this is what I'm stuck with. But one question. Harmonize leads in thirds? O_o I'm not too great with the technical terms of things
If you play a scale, and a lead from it, the other guitar player plays the note two spots ahead in the scale, of the note that you are playing at the same time

So If you were playing a C major scale C D E F G A B C....and your lick was:

D E G

The other guitarist plays

F G B
Really? That's what I was trying yesterday with him lol okay thanks :]
if you dont know how to work with two guitars I recommend you get rid of one of them.
there are no rules to say there should be two guitarists and it seems like song writing has taken a step back to allow your undeserving ego to try and over complicate your parts.

If I was in your band i'd get rid of a guitarist...most likely you....and replace them with somebody who can write the parts they need or else keep it simple as a three piece.

I mean no offence here, besides, being as awesome as you say you are you'll have no problem getting in with another band.

It's cool looking for tips and advice and wanting to learn but not when you put your bandmates down in the process and drop in a load of little (I play drums), (I sing too), nobody cares, if you were as talented as you think you are you wouldn't need our help!!!
Quote by kh2xiii
K so I'm in this band and me and the drummer are the only good players (no offense to my bandmates) so me and him don't have any problem with playing. But I'm having to teach the other guitarist and our singer how to sing (I sing as well), and sometimes the drummer forgets what he was playing and I have to play it for him real quick (I drum too) and I have to tell our bassist what to play cuz he doesn't know (I also play bass). I'm pretty much telling everyone what to do and come up with 98% of the stuff we play.
Wow, man. You're like the God of all things related to band!

Quote by kh2xiii
Having two guitarists, our other one said we should play two different parts cuz usually when a band has two guitarists one plays like the chords and the other one plays single notes and fancy crap. Aaaaaaaaand I'll admit I dunno how to come up with stuff like that. I've never tried. Can anyone give me any ideas on what to do for a second guitar part? I've listened to alot of bands that do that sorta thing and I just don't know how they come up with it lol and also I try to keep it simple for right now cuz of the playing skill of the other guitarist but right now all the songs we come up with have the same dull palm muted power chords for the verse and then a chorus that's not palm muted but it's just still just four chords for both the verse and the chorus. Any help with that? :/
Oh, maybe not. Maybe you don't need to keep it simple for your other guitarist. Maybe you should keep it simple for your own sake, yeah?

If yer gonna go outside the chugga chugga power chords, you'll actually have to listen to the song and figure out which notes fit both the key and whatever is happening in the vocals. Might be more than you can handle, idk.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
well i play in a band with 2 guitars. we mostly play classic rock and blues type stuff. you dont need to have a the 2nd gutiarist doing something different from the rhythm guitar. some songs it just doesnt suite it. depending on the song, sometimes ill do a slide part over the other player who also sings most of the songs. usually if he plays a chord in one position, ill play the same chord somewhere else in a different octave or different voicing. sometimes ill do some inversions. sometimes ill do harmonic chords (each note of the chord is played with harmonics) or some more open voiced tiads. sometimes ill play exactly what he plays. if he knows the licks to the song, ill usually just play something more basic so im not clashing with what hes doing. if his part is simple, ill make mine more comlex.

you just gotta use your ear and try things out. some songs just sound strange when you do too much fancy stuff on top. without hearing the songs you play, i cant really tell you what you should do. plus if its originals, its really up to you. seems like you are a jack of all trades but a master of none. perhaps spend more time on guitar? that way you can be better at the instrument you play in the band. and the more you play, the more you learn, and the better you will be at coming up with interesting parts.
Last edited by Blind In 1 Ear at Jan 10, 2010,
Something that has not been mentioned here is why don't you guys pick some cover songs you like and think you can play to learn to play together as a band. This will help give everyone's ears an idea of what a structured song is. Have each person be responsible for learning their parts and work on your originals afterwards when everyone is more or less caught up in skill level and your playing as one unit. Otherwise, I don't see this band having much of chance of going very far or very fast.
Equip List: MTD Artist 5 fretless, Ampeg SVT 810, GK NEO 410, Behringer BVT5500H, Boss (EQ, LS-2, ChromoTuner, Overdrive)
learn and apply pentatonic scale-easiest way to rock hard, and if you can play guitar and sing, you might as well just do both, be the lead singer and guitarist, thats what usually ends up happening to me, im just like eehhhhh **** it ill do both. it just makes you look better anway.
I tried to make a signature listing all my gear, but I couldn't for 2 reasons.

1. I couldn't remember all my gear
2. My signature was too long for UG to process.
Last edited by MidEvilDeath at Jan 11, 2010,