Hey there guys.

I'm finally getting enough money together to get myself my first tube/high end amp. For what seems like an age, i've been searching for amps. The tone I want can be summed up pretty easily. Go listen to an All Time Low song. That sorta, beefy but not brutal sound is what i'm looking for.

After a fair amount of research it would seem that the amps most commonly used by bands with this tone are: JCM's (What a surpsrise), Mesa Stilletto's and Vox AC30's. Okay so, all of those are too expensive for me (a 15 year old student) so i'm looking for cheaper alternatives. Really, i'm hoping to spend around £400-500. I've already picked out a 2x12 cab (Framus FR212) so that's covered. Right now i'm playing a Vintage VS6 with Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill in the bridge and neck respectively.

"Will I be gigging?" I hear you cry. Yes, in a nutshell. I gig fairly often with my band (hopefully alot more now i'm writing some songs) and also do other little bits for my school. I.e. I'm doing the music for our school play.

HOWEVER!

I do have access to a TSL half stack for gigging at the moment, but, it's tone isn't overly admirable. Saying that, I haven't cranked it yet, I suppose that would help. Anyway, this means that it may only need to be used for smaller gigs/practice in my soundproofed shed. But then obviously, if the tone kicks ass, i'll use it all the time.

Okay. Stop ranting. So, £400-500, Beefy, fairly loud, can pull off these bands:

-Foo Fighters
-Paramore
-You Me At Six
-Biffy Clyro
-Fightstar
-Jimmy Eat World

Sorry for the wall of text, but help is much appreciated.
You think choosing amps is annoying?

Try choosing speakers. Worst thing ever.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
You think choosing amps is annoying?

Try choosing speakers. Worst thing ever.

That is very true. I had that problem trying to find a cab but just bailed out onto the V30's.

Also, the simplicity of that Valvepower is scaring me. Is that gonna require cranking to get my tone out of?
Quote by willT08
That is very true. I had that problem trying to find a cab but just bailed out onto the V30's.

Also, the simplicity of that Valvepower is scaring me. Is that gonna require cranking to get my tone out of?

it has variable wattage so it will need cranking but you can crank it quietly.
Quote by SwampAshSpecial
it has variable wattage so it will need cranking but you can crank it quietly.

Ah hah, I wondered what that Power knob was. However, I'd really rather have a built in EQ.

WillEDIT: Saying that, is this a complete tone-***** or is it on par with other stuff in it's price range?
Last edited by willT08 at Jan 10, 2010,
Anyone know about/own a ValvePower. I'm sure I saw one in a NCD the other day.

EDIT: Played a Peavey Classic the other week with a Michael Kelly LP. It sounded pretty fecking nice, but I didn't get to turn it up at all so I assume it get's better? My only worry is it being too trebley?
Last edited by willT08 at Jan 10, 2010,
peavey windsor? I just picked one up for $300 new they have a perfect vintage overdriven marshall sound. effects loop and with an overdrive can reach hard rock or metal. Also check out the bugera V55, bugera 6262 or bugera 1990 which is a exact copy of a jcm 900 and sounds great in mu opinion.
Gear
Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey Windsor head

Custom Ibanez RG
ESP EC-1000
Played a Windsor before. Uhmm....I dunno if it was the low volume, but it was just fizz, the whole time. And there's no clean.

Never heard any particularly good stuff about the 1990, and the 6262 is a bit heavy for my needs.
Honestly, I would Recommend Hands Down The Jet City JCA20H Head, Simply because it was designed by the Legend that is Mike Soldano, you can buy them through Thomann for under £300, i'm ordering mine soon, If its anything to go by, My Soldano SLO-100 Is the NUTS, and if some of that tone is passed onto the jet city, it will be nuts also.

check video

i think it will beat anything else in its price range

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdI7GuVOXCU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM5UPVsrH18
Gear:

PRS 513
PRS SC245 57/08
Parker Fly Deluxe
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Gibson Gothic Explorer
Ibanez DMM1
Soldano SLO100
Marshall 1960a Cab
TC electronic G-system
TC electronic Desktop Konnekt 6

Follow musicstreet on facebook
Last edited by eklundh85 at Jan 10, 2010,
I don't know if I would go for the valvepower or classic 30 seeing you play some more modern stuff..
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
No Hayden Mofo?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by willT08
Played a Windsor before. Uhmm....I dunno if it was the low volume, but it was just fizz, the whole time. And there's no clean.

Never heard any particularly good stuff about the 1990, and the 6262 is a bit heavy for my needs.

Huh, I thought the Windsor was pretty awesome and the C30 was pretty poor

MoFo won't really get the tones you want.

Orange Dual Terror? Not had chance to try one but the PGS demo sounds good.
Blackheart Hot Head? Again, not had chance to try but it looks like an awesome deal on a nice Marshally amp which'll get you them tones.

Everything else I'd suggest has been suggested.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Guys, what would you say to JCA 20H with some sort of boost? Apparently the JCA gets enough gain for me on it's own, but 'cause it's so dirt cheap I could throw a boost on top of that and still be around £350.
Quote by willT08
Guys, what would you say to JCA 20H with some sort of boost? Apparently the JCA gets enough gain for me on it's own, but 'cause it's so dirt cheap I could throw a boost on top of that and still be around £350.

That would be a great choice, much better than any modeling amp in that price range IMO.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Maybe the classic 50 instead of the classic 30, more headroom. Interesting mix of music you have up their, the difference in tone between Jimmy Eats World and Foo Fighters is a decent gap, I'm not sure if you're going to find some that exactly meets all your criteria
Quote by SimplyBen
Blackheart Hot Head? Again, not had chance to try but it looks like an awesome deal on a nice Marshally amp which'll get you them tones.

Hot Head is the 100w isn't it?
Make sure you try the Handsome Devil too (and maybe the Little Giant) in case you end up wanting less wattage.
ok in a nutshell, heres my two quid...

jet city 20 watt offerings. great for everything shy of a gigable clean. luvs buckers and actives for hard rock to bright metal type stuff. not a bassy chugga chugga amp. one channel, meh reverb, no loop.

bugera v55. better option. not as gainy but has a loop and footswitchable channels. reverb blows. i should mention i am a verbsnob. this amp isnt really a high gainer. like the jet, unproven reliability...

my advice is to look used, laney lc30 or 50, orange if you can. love a rocker 30.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.