Ok, so I've got an Ibane RGR321, and Ive heard that UG seems to have a positive opinion on this guitar.
It's quite cheap and comes with the basic qualities that you would need (24 frets, bolt on (but thin) neck, passive humbuckers, fixed bridge).

As I'm not buying a new guitar straight away, how could I mod my current guitar to make it a better metal guitar so it sounds/plays better and to make it worth more.

The only obvious modification I can think of is to install active pups, but what else can I do?
You may need to do extra routing to install active pickups, you could also do the 18Volt mod to actives if you wish.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1254306&highlight=18v+mod

There is no real way that you could make your guitar worth more than what it was to start with. But you could change the hardware for better sustain / tone, and a different nut / locking tuners to help with tuning stability.

Also, look on the GB&C forum if you need help with modifcations, or more ideas

EDIT: I notice that you have a Peavy Vypyr amp? Active pickups and modelling amps dont usually sound good together. I HATE to say this but, if you want a metal tone, It would be wiser to spend money on an amp built to play metal, than new pickups.

Also, what Active pickups are you looking at? If you dont want to upgrade the amp, It would be wiser to use passives with that guitar. If your looking at good, reasonable priced pickups, look at Irongear, they have a good variety of pickups
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

Last edited by TomG10-7 at Jan 10, 2010,
Exactly what do you not like about the guitar? This guy as got the same guitar as you and his tone is good for metal I guess. Spending 150-200 $ to install a pair of active pickups isn't gonna do alot. Buy a new amp or practise instead.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Oliver240693
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
there is always the same things to change, pickups, hardware, etc.
in your case i would recomend to change only one pickup, the one you most use to a better one and let the others, it wouldnt cos too much
Imo installing actives in a guitar that came with passives will only de-value it seeing as you're cutting out wood from the guitar. Just install some aftermarket passives if you want the active sound without re-routing I;ve heard DImarzio D-activators are pretty good? But I'm not speaking from experiance so idk.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
You can't make it worth more, it doesn't work like that.

What other equipment do you haev and what's wrong with your sound at the moment?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
It is a great guitar but by no means special so it'll be difficult. If you're planning to sell it somewhere in the near future you'd have to modify it. Changing the exterior (add artwork or modify the paint job, hardware, etc.) or adding something of a famous brand can do the trick (nothing sells your instrument better than "DiMarzio pickups installed" or something like that). If you add straplocks and a good strap, change some knobs, add a kill-switch, I dunno, that kind of stuff, and your whole investment ends up costing 160 bucks you can round it off to 200, etc.

Keep in mind that if you want to make some money (or lose as little as possible) the trick is to look for bargains (for instance, if someone's selling a couple of 2nd hand Schaller Locking tuners for a reasonable price, that's the kind of stuff you should go for, altho I wouldn't know why you'd need those since your guitar has a locking nut) but I'd say the most important thing is for you to have fun while playing on that instrument so maybe you shouldn't bother too much about the money

Oh, and last but not least make sure it plays like heaven when the time comes to sell it. Search for a nice set of good strings, set it up perfectly (intonation and action wise) because if people try out that guitar and it feels and sounds right, that's what'll make them want to buy your guitar

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Jan 10, 2010,
Ok since when do you need to mod a guitar to install EMGs?

EMGs are a direct retro fit into the TSs guitar, and the control cavity will have enough room for one battery, may be even two.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
You can upgrade the tuners and the bridge, too. And you don't necessarily have to install ACTIVE pickups. Some quality passive p/u's would be an upgrade, unless you prefer active ones.
I'd recommend going with higher-quality passives if I were you. Here are some suggestions:

Pretty much any DiMarzio high-gain pickups are good. D-Activators are good at getting an active pickup feel without having to worry about routing and batteries. I'd also recommend DiMarzio Air Norton with the Tone Zone, or a set of matching Evolution pickups (which are going for pretty cheap these days).

Seymour Duncan also have some amazing passives. I'm using the JB/'59 set right now. (JB in Bridge, '59 in neck. Feels good man.)

Or... if you have some serious money to drop on pickups, go with Bareknuckle pickups.
Gear:
Agile Septor Pro 727 EB Nat Ash
ESP/LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Line 6 Spider Valve HD100 Head
Vox 4x12 Cabinet
Toss some EMG's in it... you'll legit think you have a new guitar...

and yea you don't need to route a guitar for EMG's :s ive put them in three guitars, i dunno what you lads are talking about by routing

on a side note... Stickers.... They add value...
lol

i wouldn't go SD JB's/ 59
They don't sound all that good in a basswood IMO
Last edited by Ital_Stal at Jan 10, 2010,
Thanks, I think I would go for high end passives to avoid routing and all that.
So which are the good passive pickups?

Quote by TomG10-7

EDIT: I notice that you have a Peavy Vypyr amp? Active pickups and modelling amps dont usually sound good together. I HATE to say this but, if you want a metal tone, It would be wiser to spend money on an amp built to play metal, than new pickups.

Also, what Active pickups are you looking at? If you dont want to upgrade the amp, It would be wiser to use passives with that guitar. If your looking at good, reasonable priced pickups, look at Irongear, they have a good variety of pickups

Also this isn't true, I've played EMGs through a Vypyr, and if anything, it sounds better.
IMNSHO mods you do to a guitar decrease not increase value. If you are looking for an investment look else where. Mods should only be done to make a guitar fit you. No other reason.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by Metallica1554
Thanks, I think I would go for high end passives to avoid routing and all that.
So which are the good passive pickups?

Also this isn't true, I've played EMGs through a Vypyr, and if anything, it sounds better.

*cough* I said usually, usually they dont sound good together. I havent played those pickups through that amp, which is why I didnt say they don't sound good.
"Guitar is tactile, It's about how you play it"
- Joe Bonamassa

if you are looking for some high end passive pups then look at Bareknuckle's. currently im saving up for some nailbombs and im going to install them into my les paul. you can check out what some of the other pickups sound like too on youtube
Quote by Absent Mind
Ok since when do you need to mod a guitar to install EMGs?

EMGs are a direct retro fit into the TSs guitar, and the control cavity will have enough room for one battery, may be even two.

Yes this I am pretty sure I have enough space in my RG3EX1 to fit 2 9V batteries and still have some space around for something in my cavity so the TS won't have any problems just using a single 9V battery.

And for the first part everyone either seems to think that the EMG pickups require a different route or that the battery needs to be within it's own separate route because having it in the control cavity would be too messy or it won't fit or something.

As for stuff to change some other ones that aren't really needed would be new tuners or a new nut or even new saddles or even simple stuff like changing all of your hardware over to black (not cosmo black mind you) so you have a blacked out guitar. Of course it won't make it sound any metal but it will look more metal.
Active pickups aren't always an upgrade, i can't stand the sound of actives to be honest. Plus my BKP's have as much output as most actives.

You can't add value to your guitar, any modifications devalue it, in order to improve its playability maybe upgrade the bridge, tuners, nut etc, get a good setup?

To improve sound new amp and pickup swap but before the new amp i wouldn't bother with pickups.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by Talentless
Active pickups aren't always an upgrade, i can't stand the sound of actives to be honest. Plus my BKP's have as much output as most actives.

You can't add value to your guitar, any modifications devalue it, in order to improve its playability maybe upgrade the bridge, tuners, nut etc, get a good setup?

To improve sound new amp and pickup swap but before the new amp i wouldn't bother with pickups.

This. Every last word, but particularly the bold parts.
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Get a new nut, A Dan Erlewine quality refret and if it's a bolt on get a Vintique stainless steel insert style mod, Unless you're going to put tapered neck shims in.

Well, You don't have to get these but they're all good. For a casual player it can be more difficult to settle on anything... (But for a do it yourselfer, Not so hard...)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Sigh... for christ sake people...

I left this site over a year ago because everyone on here had no clue what they were talking about...

EMG's suck. End of story. There are about 25 other passive pickups out there that sound more alive then EMG's ever will. More gain =/= better sound, metal or not.

To answer the TS question. There isn't much you can do to really make the guitar "more valuable" If it means a lot to you then thats all that matters. If your content with your sound then don't worry about changing anything. Its more the guitar itself that makes it valuable. Example, old CBS strats sucked, they had huge gaps in the neck, shittly quality, and now their worth more money then any guitar I bet any of you have seen.
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo