Poll: Yes or No?
Poll Options
View poll results: Yes or No?
Yes
2 18%
No
9 82%
Voters: 11.
Is it okay to use a speaker cable to connect my pedal to my amp head?
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
My motto: if it fits in the hole, shove it in and it'll work.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
it'll get a HUGE amount of unwanted noise, especially when you crank that gain knob you get this ear peircing screech!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by julzius
it'll get a HUGE amount of unwanted noise, especially when you crank that gain knob you get this ear peircing screech!

Will it damage anything?
Quote by julzius

but it is possible; I didn't say it would sound good
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
it'll damage your ears?

but unless you have a habit of kicking the speakers of the amp when you play... no damage

i've done it before, and i don't want to do it again
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by Dream Floyd
My motto: if it fits in the hole, shove it in and it'll work.

There is no sufficient number to express the amount of facepalms this statement should receive. Therefore, one shall have to suffice.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Is it okay in the sense that the cops won't lock you away, yes.

Is it okay in the sense that it would SOUND okay, no.
Ignore the kneejerk responses in this thread: it'll work okay. More noise and lower quality yes, but in a pinch it'll work.

One thing I've noticed is that speaker cables sometimes have problems with the input of effects pedals, they turn on the battery when you plug them in like a guitar cable would. Presumably that's only with stereo cables, not given much thought to the 'why' side of things.
^ They also let in a whole pile of noise when used as an instrument cable.

But seriously, that whole "if it fits, it should work" theory is completely boneheaded.

This is why we have ignorant kids plugging their instrument cables into their cabs and blowing up their heads.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Jan 10, 2010,