ummm....I'm way noob to this recording thing, and I have a few questions (I don't even know if here is where I'm supposed to ask it), but here goes:

So, I have a bass and a bass amp. I want to record some things, to put as mp3s on my profile.

How would I go about doing this?

My guess is that I'd have to have a USB type cable that plugs in my amps "Line Out" jack, plug it in my computer. Is this right?

Oh, and also, what program would be efficient to record? I don't mind spending, but free would be nice

Tl;dr:

What do I need to record? What do I have to do? How do YOU go about recording?
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
for the really basic recording.
get software: audacity or reaper
get a jack from your line out and plug into the microfone slot on your pc.

Now this is the most basic "naif" way i can imagine.
Quote by J.J.G.
for the really basic recording.
get software: audacity or reaper
get a jack from your line out and plug into the microfone slot on your pc.

Now this is the most basic "naif" way i can imagine.

Please leave. This is probably one of the worst things you can say for starting out on recording.

Anyways, buy an interface. I know it may sound expensive but you can get a pretty solid interface for about $100 and the quality of it vs plugging in a Guitar to USB or Guitar to Mic Jack cable. Do you plan on just recording Bass or do you plan on eventually recording something needing a Mic? Either way, if you plan on recording just bass (and guitar), I suggest the Pod Studio GX which includes Pod Farm, a really good amp modeling program. If you eventually want to record with a mic, buy the Pod Studio UX1.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
theres nothing wrong with with J.J.G posted. the guy asked for a suggestion granted its not the best but it is still helps. you can buy an mbox or mbox 2 inteface from ebay cheap but then again mbox's aren't that expensive anymore. there are also mini recording studios that sell for about 200 to 500. software wise audacity is cool if you have a mac they do have garage band, and theres always cakewalk but i don't like cakewalk too much. but then again i rarely post on this site
Thanks, I'll look into all those things
"You have brains in your head,
You have feet in your shoes,
You can steer yourself,
any direction you choose,
You're on your own,
And you know what you know,
And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go."

- Dr. Seuss
Quote by chocolateTeddy
theres nothing wrong with with J.J.G posted. the guy asked for a suggestion granted its not the best but it is still helps.

Theres a difference between a good suggestion and a suggestion that helps. Sure, it helps because its cheap and gets the job done but its like a band aid on a bullet wound. I don't want to see a post in a week saying "Hey, I was told to do this and it sounds like crap, what did I do wrong?".

Yes, I did come off like an asshole but its one of my pet peeves of recording.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp