Hi all,

im pretty new to the guitar world so forgive me if this is somthing obvious. I recently got a yamaha pacifica 112v, but when i turn the tone knob up and then very lightly touch the strings or any other metal part for that matter i get a static/crackling noise? if i do the same but with the tone knob turned right down it doesnt happen... does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? and how to rectify it?

note: the static/crackling noise can also be heard when turning the tone knob itself... but if i hold the strings and turn it, it doesnt crackle? im baffled!!!

any help will be gladly appreciated!!
Sounds like ordinary hum from your pickups, many pickups do that, but it might also be because of poor soldering connections in the electronics. Take a look inside the guitar and see if any wires are poorly soldered.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
pickups work by creating an electrical current from the vibrating strings, an induced current, and sending the current to the amp so it can process the electrical signal to sounds.

when you touch a string or a piece of metal, you're grounding the current and the sound is coming through the amp. Most good guitars are made so that the problem youre having isn't an issue, but most starter guitars, like the one you have, has that problem.

The tone knob controls a capacitor that filters high frequencies (this is on all guitars). The static/crackling sound that youre hearing is a high frequency sound that is filtered when the tone knob is turned off, and the opposite when the knob is turned the whole way on.

To try to stop this, try using other pickup combinations, (the toggle switch on your guitar). Try not facing the amp when youre playing to help reduce interference and feedback from the amp when your play.
- 1997 PRS CE24 - Raspberry -
- Peavey 6505+ 1x12 Combo -
- Dunlop 535Q Wah Pedal -
- Digitech Digital Delay -
- Digitech Multi Chorus -
Thanks for your time and the speedy replies!

@ The^Unforgiven - i dont think its ordinary pickup hum as it is just a one off 'click/crackle' noise everytime i make contact with the strings. For example if i stand with the guitar with both my hands away from it and i then just use the thumb on my right hand to gently touch any string i get a 'click' noise. Same happens if i touch any of the strings on the neck with my left hand. if i keep one of my fingers on a string i can then touch the rest without the noise occuring. but as soon as i let go and the re-touch a string i get the initial click noise... i hope this makes sense?

@ Jrod4928 - I have tried what you suggested and changed between all 5 settings on the pickup selector but i get the problem on all settings :-S If this is a grounding issue as you suggested, is there a way to get a 'better' ground? or is it somthing that i will just have to learn to live with?
my suggestion is to move your guitar and amp to different outlets, different rooms, trying all of the outlets to see if the same thing happens everywhere. If the shielding is poor on the wires near the outlet youre plugging into, it can cause static to build up in the pickups under the pickguard and it will discharge (ground) when you touch something metal on the guitar... im willing to bet that the static/popping sound will differ from outlet to outlet. let me know what happens.
I have just tried most of the outlets in the house, and i even remember hearing the offending noise at my parents house when i first got the guitar, but it doesn't appear to make a difference which room im in or how far away i am from the amp/what direction i face. I think you're onto somthing with the grounding issue though... i just dont know how to get rid of it?
im not real sure...the other guy suggested checking the solder on the wires, that'd be my next try. If that doesnt work then I don't know what it could be. My first guitar was pretty cheap and if I remember right, I had a problem kind of like yours. I dont know if there is anything you can do about it, it may be just the quality of the electronics in your guitar. Keep looking online and maybe you'll find an answer. Sorry i couldnt help too much.