Hi. Im a lil curious to waht steps guitarists take to convert a fairly metally song into a calm, chorded, acoustic song. I'm assuming their first step is to use the chords appropriate to that key, but how to they make it all work? Thanks
it really depends on the song. With some songs you can just play the same rhythm as the real version (ex. Weight Of The World by Saliva). others you have to completely figure out the chords, rather they are open or barre, sometimes you have to throw a capo in the mix, then once you have that, get the lyrics and change the way it is sang to be a little calmer.

also, what song are you doing?
My Gear:

Takamine eg523sc
Epiphone Les Paul Jr.
Ibanez ART 100
B.C. Rich Kerry King Custom Warlock
Zoom G1X
Digitech Death Metal Pedal
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Epiphone 15R Studio
Raven RG100H and RG412 Half Stack
Quote by dragozan
Hi. Im a lil curious to waht steps guitarists take to convert a fairly metally song into a calm, chorded, acoustic song. I'm assuming their first step is to use the chords appropriate to that key, but how to they make it all work? Thanks

It really depends on the song, obviously with some it doesn't take much work because they're fairly chord-based anyway but for the more complicated ones you'll have to figure out how the overall harmony of the riffs works and such... basically learn everything you can about theory because if you want you can really go crazy with this kind of thing.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ke69lm
it really depends on the song. With some songs you can just play the same rhythm as the real version (ex. Weight Of The World by Saliva). others you have to completely figure out the chords, rather they are open or barre, sometimes you have to throw a capo in the mix, then once you have that, get the lyrics and change the way it is sang to be a little calmer.

also, what song are you doing?

Oh, i didnt have a song in mind, i was just curious to what they do, for future reference lol. But i suppose id like to know hoe a very screamish song is turned into a calm, soothing song. If ya want an example, what about something like "Before i Forget" by Slipknot. If they turned that acoustic, how would they?
Generally speaking, you would cut out the solos (usually, metal solo are tough to do on an acoustic), reduce the amount of picking if necessary (Slayer, anyone?), and turn the powerchords into actual full chords. To figure out what chords you would use, figure out the key of the song (it will be minor key for metal, generally) and use chords that fit that key. For example, a metal track with the powerchords A, D, E in the key of A minor will have an A minor chord, a D minor chord, and an E minor chord (simple progression is simple). If you happened to have a B powerchord in there, it would be a Bdim chord. If you had a C, it would be a Cmaj chord.
Quote by dragozan
Oh, i didnt have a song in mind, i was just curious to what they do, for future reference lol. But i suppose id like to know hoe a very screamish song is turned into a calm, soothing song. If ya want an example, what about something like "Before i Forget" by Slipknot. If they turned that acoustic, how would they?

In my opinion that particular song is just a bit too "riff-y" for want of a better term, the song of the song is very dependent on quick changing, staccato riffs so it wouldn't really make a brilliant acoustic song.

What would be a good example to look at now that I think of it would be Vermilion parts 1 and 2 by Slipknot, if you look at Part 2 it's almost just an acoustic version of Part 1 so look at the similarities, theoretical differences, differences in arrangement and all that kind of stuff and see if you can get an idea of what they did.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well the verse goes 5 times evenly and then rests... so I would use the same progression with full open chords, down strum 5 times each and remember to rest, theres the verse...

the chorus I would keep the same, having the other part in open chords makes this part sound so much more powerful (and metal), its not as if they do a lot of pinchs and bends, its all easy on acoustic

the breakdown is perfect as it is already acoustic, leave it alone

the intro will be hard to hear unless you have 2 things 1.)a good acoustic guitar 2.) the ability to do legato WELL on your acoustic, those semi tones slipknot always use dont sound as different on an acoustic, especially if you arent used to playing one, your notes will sound weaker.