Quote by MaXiMuse
C`est un parc d'aventures. Mais pourqoui c`est 'de' au lieu de 'des'?

Why is it 'de' instead of 'des'?

Edit: Couldn`t find a homework thread about it so...

There is no reason. That's just how it is.

Seriously, for every time something in French follows a grammar rule, there are five exceptions. I'm sure that someone will give you a reason, but it's just an attempt at rationalizing random patterns that sprung out of Latin 1500 years ago.
It's just de, not de + les. It's "It's a park of adventures," not, "It's a park of the adventures."
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Because in the case you're using "de" in the possesive form. "Des" is used to indicate if something is plural or not.

C'est un parc
Ce sont des parcs.

As opposed to

Cette bic est de John.
Ce sont des bics de John.

May not be completely correct, been a year or 2 since I had french classes.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Last edited by ItWillDo at Jan 10, 2010,
Because it's not talking about specific adventures.
C'est un parc des aventures: It's a park of the adventures
C'est un parc d'aventures: It's park of adventures

I'm French Canadian
Just put "Le" in front of it. Problem solved. Always.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Quote by ItWillDo
Because in the case you're using "de" in the possesive form. "Des" is used to indicate if something is plural or not.

It has nothing to do with the "Parc". And in this case De is also plural. So it's not a question of plurality
Quote by food1010
It's just de, not de + les. It's "It's a park of adventures," not, "It's a park of the adventures."

Fail. In French, everything has an article in front of it. That's why a lot of French people, while speaking English say things like 'You like THE doggy-style', instead of "You like doggy style".

But to answer you're question I don't really know. I'm assuming it's for phonetic purposes; 'un parc d'aventures' sounds better than 'un parc des aventures'... This sort of thing happens a lot in French...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by Fiddelers elbow
Des is plural. There is only one parc d'adventures

this.
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by ItWillDo

Cette bic est de John.
Ce sont des bics de John.

Not Correct at all.

Quote by ItWillDo

May not be completely correct, been a year or 2 since I had french classes.

Explanation
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
je pense le son parce que ce serait un double pluriel

edit: avec "des" non "de"
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
Last edited by dr_shred at Jan 10, 2010,
"d'" peut remplacer de ou des.

C'est un parc des aventures ou c'est un parc d'aventures. Le des va s'accorder avec le mon qui le suit.
My first lolstack
Quote by whitenihilist

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
I speak french and some of you got it.

There is only one parc but many adventures.

It's like : Un parc d'attractions, or amusement parc.
There is one parc with many rides.
Quote by bellette

C'est un parc des aventures ou c'est un parc d'aventures. Le des va s'accorder avec le mon qui le suit.

non c'est d'
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
Quote by Dream Floyd
Fail. In French, everything has an article in front of it. That's why a lot of French people, while speaking English say things like 'You like THE doggy-style', instead of doggy style.

But to answer you're question I don't really know. I'm assuming it's for phonetic purposes; 'un parc d'aventures' sounds better than 'un parc des aventures'... This sort of thing happens a lot in French...

En effet.
My first lolstack
Quote by whitenihilist

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Quote by food1010

This.

Actually, a good way to explain this is that it's a parc that contains aventures, rather than a parc of aventures.
Last edited by JDbbx at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by bellette

C'est un parc des aventures ou c'est un parc d'aventures. Le des va s'accorder avec le mot qui le suit.

C'est quoi ces règles que t'invente... En effet, c'est 'Un parc de les aventures', mais suite à l'évolution phonétique, on le contracte en d'aventures... I just consulted my dad about this... XD He's French.
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Born A Fool
Let's learn French-Canadian music:

Mon hostie d’tabarnak tu vas manger ma main dans face
m’as t’en fourrer une claque, m’as t’casser les deux échasses.
Mon câlisse de baveux y a pus personne pour me r’tenir
m’as t’moucher mon morveux, tu va crier pis dire martyr.
Hostie.
Hostie.
Hostie. Hostie d'ciboire.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by DirtyMakik
Let's learn French-Canadian music:

Mon hostie d’tabarnak tu vas manger ma main dans face
m’as t’en fourrer une claque, m’as t’casser les deux échasses.
Mon câlisse de baveux y a pus personne pour me r’tenir
m’as t’moucher mon morveux, tu va crier pis dire martyr.
Hostie.
Hostie.
Hostie. Hostie d'ciboire.

God I love Quebecois...

TS, here's a tip from someone who went to a french high-school and had to take french classes his entire life : Don't try to understand. As much as it may seem like it's a good idea to learn the rules, the amount of exceptions make it almost pointless. If you only need conversational french then you shouldn't really care that much at all unless you're in France, because some of them are elitist pricks about language. If you actually care about writing, you're pretty well better off just reading stuff and getting used to it, though that's not likely easy. It's kind of like english in that you can have the best grammar in the world, but if somebody asked you to point out a grammar rule, or talked about it, you wouldn't have a clue what they were on about.
Quote by bellette

Il ne manque que "J'ai la quequette qui colle"!
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Quote by dark&broken

If you only need conversational french then you shouldn't really care that much at all unless you're in France, because some of them are elitist pricks about language.

Oh god forbid that they try to ensure it's spoken correctly
Quote by webbtje
Oh god forbid that they try to ensure it's spoken correctly

Oh believe me, I've got family in Quebec.. I know how bad it can be... Aural torture that damned language is at times..
Quote by dark&broken
Oh believe me, I've got family in Quebec.. I know how bad it can be... Aural torture that damned language is at times..

And I live in Paris and speak fluent French, your point? If someone is making mistakes, I'm going to correct them. I don't think any less of them, and neither does any other reasonable human being, so stop all this 'elitist prick' nonsense.
I can't help you I don't speak sissy, that and I can't speak any languages besides english a little spanish and an even smaller bit of german, but if i could i would but i cant.
Rofl?

Lol Cross. The Power of LOL Compels you!
Jesus TS, your username is pretty much my exact given name, and it freaks me out.

And I'm trying to learn French too.
Quote by webbtje
And I live in Paris and speak fluent French, your point? If someone is making mistakes, I'm going to correct them. I don't think any less of them, and neither does any other reasonable human being, so stop all this 'elitist prick' nonsense.

1. It was a joke, get over yourself.
2. I said SOME are. Not all.
3. There's a difference between a minor grammar mistake, which IMO is really not that big of a deal and not worth bringing up if someone makes it, and completely butchering a language.