Lately my g string has refused to sound in tune for the past couple months or so. I generally use light string guages so I'm gonna swap them out for heavier strings to see if that helps, but it's had this problem with normal strings before. The g string refuses to sound in tune with the other strings. It tunes with a tuner to g, and all the other strings tune fine, but when I play it, the g string just sounds, bad. I've looked all over and found no definitive solution. I've checked the intonation and had others do so, but it seems fine, I'm gonna have some other people look at it though to see if they've got any ideas. Anybody had this problem or know how to fix it? I love this guitar, and they're pretty low production, so selling it and getting another isn't an option.
How old are the strings?
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Get a fresh string, or whole set, and get it looked at by a tech if you're still having problems.
I had a very similar problem, but fixing the intonation worked for me. If you say thats not it, I have no idea what it could be.
ive had this problem before, i cant remember what caused it. it could be.... an old string, too light of a gauge, out of intonation, LOOSE TUNING HEADS, loose nut, etc. personally, id get a heavier gauge strings, but so far it seems youve covered all the bases.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
I left the guitar at a friend's but I'm taking it to a shop come monday. Thanks guys.
Intonation issue

/thread
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
You should change your strings. Change 'em once per month at least.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
i hate the sound of all g strings. I think it has something to do with it being the highest gauge string that is unwounded. It nothing to do with the pitch, it's just the tone that gets me.
last.fm
"If I could prove by logic that you would die in five minutes, I should be sorry you were going to die, but my sorrow would be very much mitigated by pleasure in the proof."
G.H. Hardy
Quote by d3adh3adch3mist
i hate the sound of all g strings. I think it has something to do with it being the highest gauge string that is unwounded. It nothing to do with the pitch, it's just the tone that gets me.

I agree with that one. G strings always seem to sound like crap, at least sooner than other strings after getting a new set put on.
Yeah, not gonna go the wound route because making it hard to bend would interfere with my style of playing.
Quote by Talentless
Intonation issue

/thread

Not necessarily. It may be intonation, but sometime the G-string just sounds off, it can be perfectly in tune, but something about it just stands out from the other strings. I know exactly what TS is talking about. TS, does it sound weird open, or when you are fretting it?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
Not necessarily. It may be intonation, but sometime the G-string just sounds off, it can be perfectly in tune, but something about it just stands out from the other strings. I know exactly what TS is talking about. TS, does it sound weird open, or when you are fretting it?

Ah yes i just reread the first post and he said the intonation has been checked so i apologise.

The G can stand out a little, and its always the G that seems to age quicker compared to other strings.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by d3adh3adch3mist

Yes, on my electric guitar and classical guitar, the G string is always the toughest one to get tuned just right. I think it is tuned properly according to the electronic tuner, then I play simple D, A and E chords and I guarantee that one of them will sound off, and the G string needs to be tweaked slightly.
To really sound right to some people the third string needs to be a wound string. It really adds a nasty harsh sound in chords, especially when it’s played open. Unfortunately someone standardized on an unwound string decades ago to make bends easier. There’s some good writing on the subject floating around the web.

Dealing with it is a PITA as it requires either playing really heavy strings or ordering special/custom string sets. And usually you’ll also need to recut the nut.
Does anyone know what exactly causes this? It's mainly when I play open g but occasionally when I'm playing fretted notes, especially if I'm fretting the g string and others are open. I just put new strings on and it seems to help, but not solving the problem. My other guitars don't have this problem in the slightest so I feel like there's a way to eliminate it if I knew what caused it.