Page 1 of 2
I got a epi lp junior from a friend for free just because the pickup didnt work. Its a solid guitar, neck is in decent shape (will need leveling) frets in good condition (just need polishing). I dont know what Im going to do yet. I told him Im going to just sand it down to bare wood (both neck and body) and im going to put my left over veneer (from another project) on the pick guard and just leave it natural and maybe tung oil it. Im going to be putting some type of active pickup in it, idk what EMG (81 or 85 or 89 maybe) or maybe a blackout, but it has to be kind of versatile because its a junior and only has one pickup, so if i roll off the tone or volume it still needs to sound alright.

The other thing that REALLY bothers me is the neck. its a epiphone... I hate epiphone or even gibson for that fact because of their necks. WAY too fat and round. I dont have a spoke shave, i might consider ordering one so I can shape the neck flatter, or maybe i might do that by just raw sanding.

kind of a crack right here but it doesnt seem to move or budge

does anyone know what this wire goes to? It came off of the tone pot and just went into the guitar body, theres no way you could get to it from behind it was just like a random hole drilled in the body
I believe that random wire is the ground wire leading to the bridge studs of the guitar.
Epi Les Paul Standard
Vox AD50VT
^this.

sounds like a nice project. I say get an 89 or an 81TW

they are more versatile because they have a dual mode capability reminiscent of coil tapping.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
Quote by AgresiveNapkins
I believe that random wire is the ground wire leading to the bridge studs of the guitar.

thanks. I cut the wire anyways. I can probably ground it someway else other than that. Just got back from lowes with some sandpaper, the paint is coming off the body today! And im still working on my 7 string.
Im really excited for this project because I sold my 6 string schecter for a 7 string, and however I do love my 7 string and would never consider selling it for a 6, but a 6 is nice to have too. So nothing beats a free guitar.

Does anyone have any thoughts on installing a tune-o-matic bridge? instead of this one piece bridge?
^well you could, but I'd stay with a wraparound to give it that Jr. vibe.

If you're looking to upgrade check out the badass wraparound. There's also many other models for wraparound upgrades.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Quote by ncbrock
Does anyone have any thoughts on installing a tune-o-matic bridge? instead of this one piece bridge?

According to the stewmac fret calculator (http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator), a TOM bridge's mounting posts are in the same location as a wraparound's, so you could. You're going to have to either drill string thru holes and get ferrules, or install a tailpiece. I think the tailpiece would be easiest. You could even get a bigsby. That would be neat. Just make sure you get a roller TOM if you get a bigsby.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Quote by salsawords
According to the stewmac fret calculator (http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator), a TOM bridge's mounting posts are in the same location as a wraparound's, so you could. You're going to have to either drill string thru holes and get ferrules, or install a tailpiece. I think the tailpiece would be easiest. You could even get a bigsby. That would be neat. Just make sure you get a roller TOM if you get a bigsby.

Ill install the tail piece. Thanks for the info. Idk which route im going yet with paint. I kinda wanted to try a swirl, but I kind of wanted it more classy as its a "les paul" i still like my idea with the all natural with a tamo ash veneer on the pickguard and a matching tamo ash headstock.
Or I might go flat black with gold trim stuff, like th esp ec's (more money i dont want to put in though)
More than likely, the wood underneath the wood will be several pieces of crappy cuts, which will looks pretty ugly with a natural finish. Swirls are cool but pretty hard to do. Maybe you could do gold or alpine white.
If the ash you have is thick enough, just make a new pickguard with it as opposed to veneering it onto the plastic, which could get tricky/frustrating.
You'll need that wire you cut if you don't plan on getting active pickups (you don't need to ground actives). You shouldn't mess with it any more before you're sure of what you're going to do. You'll be able to solder it back together if you need to, just don't yank it out or anything.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

wow this is so strangely identical to my Jr.
its a black epiphone and i put a white 89 in it, bought an ebay neck for $90 thats a hundred million times better than the epiphone one and it made for a very nice guitar. i still like my douglas more but shit it was cheap and played really well.

EDIT:
do my eyes deceive me? is that solid wood and not plywood?! lucky! mines plywood.
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Last edited by sk8freakrt at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by salsawords
More than likely, the wood underneath the wood will be several pieces of crappy cuts, which will looks pretty ugly with a natural finish. Swirls are cool but pretty hard to do. Maybe you could do gold or alpine white.
If the ash you have is thick enough, just make a new pickguard with it as opposed to veneering it onto the plastic, which could get tricky/frustrating.
You'll need that wire you cut if you don't plan on getting active pickups (you don't need to ground actives). You shouldn't mess with it any more before you're sure of what you're going to do. You'll be able to solder it back together if you need to, just don't yank it out or anything.

im going to end up going active. i just dont know which one to get yet. And your right about the natural finish. my schecter 7 string is the same way. I would veneer it but, i want this to be a cheap build and a nice veneer that doesnt look like crap is expensive. ( i spent $40 on my last veneer trip) I might just do flat black with a gold pinstripe around the edge?
^not true.

veneersupplies.com

you're welcome :P
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

Quote by blindsagacity
^not true.

veneersupplies.com

you're welcome :P

thats where I order my veneer from before. Ok this is probably just opinion, but all the veneer im interested in and what i think looks good is expensive. Well its not really expensive its just too much for what the guitar is worth and I dont want to spend a fortune on. Keep in mind im 15 and dont have a job.
So am I. It probly is just opinion. Depends on the kinds of wood/figuring you like. Oh well, to each his own.
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

i might try a swirl. its a good guitar to try it on since i dont really care about it.
Sorry for the lack of updates, ive been busy, but with exam week at school ive had free time (get home at noon). And guess what? The wood underneath was BEAUTIFUL for whatever it is (basswood?). Best $100 (how much the guitar was new) wood ive seen (dont laugh you dirty people). It is weird in two spots, the wood's grain randomly goes perpendicular to the normal grain. Its also all one piece.

Im working on sanding the neck now and scalloping the frets too.

wow either you're really lucky or thats a veneer. Although I don't see why epi would put a veneer on both the top and back of a low end model. Awesome! Go natural for sure.

Can I suggest some barrel/tele style knobs?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by PussyPunk182
wow either you're really lucky or thats a veneer. Although I don't see why epi would put a veneer on both the top and back of a low end model. Awesome! Go natural for sure.

Can I suggest some barrel/tele style knobs?

no way in heck im putting a veneer on a cheap guitar like this. I know i was surprised too when I was sanding it. I kept sanding and was like "no way this is real??" Im more surprised its one piece. Can you get me a link to the knobs?
Also I forgot to mention im going to be drilling ferrules, but what size will i need, 5\16 or 3\8?
omg lukcyyyyy bdfsdfsfsf!!!!

I was in GC the other day and saw about 3 jr's in sunburst all were 3 pieces!!!!

Good luck with the build bro, it's looking good so far =]
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
Quote by Heilz
omg lukcyyyyy bdfsdfsfsf!!!!

I was in GC the other day and saw about 3 jr's in sunburst all were 3 pieces!!!!

Good luck with the build bro, it's looking good so far =]

mines plywood! how do you think i feel!? lol!

nice find man, real nice find. looks better than basswood too, im pretty sure basswood has very little noticeable grain, unless im mistaken.
Douglas Spad with EMG 81x's
Epiphone LP jr. with EMG 89 split coil, alot of upgrades
Rig:
Power conditioner, Hush, ART Quadra/FX Reverb (all 3 in a rack), Peavey XXX, 2 Mesa 4x12 cabs.
Correct me if wrong but that looks like Walnut. :x

That's some nice wood you've uncovered there, but for the bridge wouldn't it be easier if you were to just get one of the wraparound-tuneomatic hybrid things?

Being a little bit of a Jr purist though, I implore you to do some modifications and put a p90 in there. Mind you I have no idea what an active p90 sounds like.
Skeet UK is awesome, he can get WD Music parts discounted.
Quote by Baconfish
That's some nice wood you've uncovered there, but for the bridge wouldn't it be easier if you were to just get one of the wraparound-tuneomatic hybrid things?

Being a little bit of a Jr purist though, I implore you to do some modifications and put a p90 in there. Mind you I have no idea what an active p90 sounds like.

I have the wraparound bridge and dont like the looks of it really. I know its a lp junior, but if I had to get a les paul it wouldnt be a junior. So im just gona make a string through as it will be unique. No thanks on the P-90, I play metal.

Quote by sk8freakrt
mines plywood! how do you think i feel!? lol!

nice find man, real nice find. looks better than basswood too, im pretty sure basswood has very little noticeable grain, unless im mistaken.

LOL walnut would be amazing. maybe they sent the gibson lp junior to the wrong place . HA! plywood? thats pretty funny

moar picz nao!

look familiar to my other build?
Last edited by ncbrock at Jan 20, 2010,
Lookin good. Haven't read through all of this yet, but i will now
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
hey brock i have an idea =] You can route around the lower horn to make it more confy to reach those notes and maybe a tommy cut could also make it more confy to play.

Quote by Heilz
hey brock i have an idea =] You can route around the lower horn to make it more confy to reach those notes and maybe a tommy cut could also make it more confy to play.

Im not really sure. Our router is pretty crappy. maybe i might do it by hand but that will take a while. Im ready to get this thing finished though. Ive wanted a 6 string for a while.
Quote by ncbrock
no way in heck im putting a veneer on a cheap guitar like this. I know i was surprised too when I was sanding it. I kept sanding and was like "no way this is real??" Im more surprised its one piece. Can you get me a link to the knobs?
Also I forgot to mention im going to be drilling ferrules, but what size will i need, 5\16 or 3\8?

Oh no, that's not what I ment. I was talking about Epiphone putting a veneer on it and thats what you're seeing, but obviously its not.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/knobs.html < The first lot on the page.
NC is USA right? I wish guitar fetish had a UK branch. You guys are so lucky to have so many good stores
I don't have any experience with string throughs so I can't answer your last question, sorry.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by PussyPunk182
Oh no, that's not what I ment. I was talking about Epiphone putting a veneer on it and thats what you're seeing, but obviously its not.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/knobs.html < The first lot on the page.
NC is USA right? I wish guitar fetish had a UK branch. You guys are so lucky to have so many good stores
I don't have any experience with string throughs so I can't answer your last question, sorry.

thanks for the link, i have those knobs on my schecter id be glad to get some more. im thinking about gold hardware for this build?
+1 on the gold hardware, should look nice!
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Yeah Ibanez and Gibson design all their models on their iPods.

Pokémon CYOA
Click here for my electro tunes!

Proud user and abuser of Bugera
That's quite obviously a veneer. Those two spots where the grain makes no sense is where you've sanded through it. Good-looking veneer though!
Quote by mr_hankey
That's quite obviously a veneer. Those two spots where the grain makes no sense is where you've sanded through it. Good-looking veneer though!

First of all, why would they put a veneer on a guitar that was painted all black from the factory? Also if it was a veneer i could tell where the veneer meets the body through that weird hole in the middle, and I cant see anything, also the spots are even with the rest of the guitar, theres not a dip or impression.
Last edited by ncbrock at Jan 21, 2010,
Do you have a thread on that other build you just posted, cause it looks really good. What kind of top is that?
Impossible is Nothing
Quote by ncbrock
First of all, why would they put a veneer on a guitar that was painted all black from the factory? Also if it was a veneer i could tell where the veneer meets the body through that weird hole in the middle, and I cant see anything, also the spots are even with the rest of the guitar, theres not a dip or impression.

They probably put veneers on all the guitars, saves them having to make two different types. Veneers are usually 0.7 mm thick, so it's not strange that you cannot see dips. If you would saw the guitar in half it would still be extremely difficult to see where the veneer ends, and the body wood starts.
Quote by solomon684
Do you have a thread on that other build you just posted, cause it looks really good. What kind of top is that?

here you go:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/105471-ohh-what-veener-to-get.html
Its called tamo ash. was a pain in the butt to work with because of the grain going all different ways, which made ripping easy and cutting hard.

But sadly this guitar build is going better than that one, that one was a pain in the butt, and still is because its in the shop for wiring problems.

This is the pickup im getting:
http://yhst-50206111187217.stores.yahoo.net/gfscrraourho4.html
Last edited by ncbrock at Jan 21, 2010,
I am done besides the pickup\hardware. I just have to find money to order that stuff. Im low on cash. Also Ill take better pictures when Im completely done. this camera doesnt like inside pictures without flash for some reason, they just blur without the flash.

BAD scallop job, but whatever it was my first time

the whole family
Last edited by ncbrock at Jan 23, 2010,
nicee! to bad about the scallops( I personally hate them) but that's just me ^^
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Pokémon CYOA

Quote by SoulSlaughter
nicee! to bad about the scallops( I personally hate them) but that's just me ^^

it was my first time and I was always curious about how they play, so why not do it on a free guitar i bought?
thanks for the comments.
Looks good so far, maybe darken the pickguard so there is more contrast with the body.

Why did you scallop frets 1-6 like that? If anything, you should've done them like you did 7, 8, and 9 in the same pic, because you'd be more like to bend and stuff on the higher strings than the lower ones
Impossible is Nothing
Quote by solomon684
Looks good so far, maybe darken the pickguard so there is more contrast with the body.

Why did you scallop frets 1-6 like that? If anything, you should've done them like you did 7, 8, and 9 in the same pic, because you'd be more like to bend and stuff on the higher strings than the lower ones

idk, its an experiment. I guess the reason i did it like that is because i never really play on the high strings on 1-6, just the low.
Quote by ncbrock
it was my first time and I was always curious about how they play, so why not do it on a free guitar i bought?
thanks for the comments.

Well, I give you a point there, Sir
and I haven't seen many LP jr's with scalloped necks!
Cheers
Quote by ChucklesMginty

Pokémon CYOA

Page 1 of 2