i play a G&L L2500 through a fairly decent peavy amp. Im currently using ernie ball slinky 45-130 strings. I was wondering if there is any way to get a bright and clean tone? ive used flatwounds and its super clean but way too mellow. I play in a functions band so versatility is key (though i wont play with a pick on this bass, thats just wrong)

if anybody knows how to get the cleaness of flatwounds without loosing the brightness of my bass, it would be great to know.
how is a pick wrong?

dont be closed minded. if a pick ends up sounding better for what you play, then use one.
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
this bass just doesnt sound great with a pick. i use a pick almost exclusively with my fender because that one sounds awesome with it. the G&L just has a strange thumpy and hollow tone with a pick but has just great fingerstyle tones (plus it feels awesome)
oh, ok then.

umm, try boosting high mids and cut the bass+low mids a bit?
My Rig:
Yamaha RBX 375 bass
Peavey Millenium BXP bass (won at Summer Slaughter 2010, signed by all the bands)
Eden Nemesis NC410 320w combo amp
Check out Tyrannicide, my death/thrash metal band:
http://www.myspace.com/tyrannicidemetal
tried it; it definately helped, but i want a more bell-like high end (really clear ring) and i found that boosting the high mids gave me an almost guitar like sound
Try different strings. I've never been a huge fan of the Ernie Balls, especially not for those nice clear sounds. I recommend a set of stainless steel rounds (as opposed to the nickle-plated slinkies) like D'Addario or Rotosound. They will be very bright at first, but as they mellow out they'll definitely settle into a nice clear sound.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
D'Addario
+1. D'Addarios are awesome.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea