Hi, I have been looking at new amps recently, and have decided that orange is the one for me. I'm undecided between

1. orange tiny terror
2. orange rocker 30

i preferred the tiny terror because it has more manageable bedroom volumes with the built in attenuator, and is well priced. The rocker is obviously a better amp, and would be more comfortable for gigs and band practice, but may be too loud for bedroom practice. I'm not fussed about saving up the extra £200 or so, which do you think i should get? The tiny terror or the roceker 30 with an OD pedal or something for more suitable volumes?

By the way, I play music such as paramore, hit the lights, the maine and the red jumpsuit aparratus.

thanks

Edit: and why is it that the rocker 30 combo is the same price as the head?
Last edited by doubtfull at Jan 10, 2010,
I for one am really surprised that you played the Tiny Terror and Rocker next to each other and decided that the TT was even a viable option. Did you get a chance to play it at a decent volume?

I ask because I absolutely couldn't stand the Tiny Terror's OD tone. Played at higher volumes it was painfully obvious how much better the Rocker (Or AD30, by the way, if you haven't looked at it yet) is.
Yeah, I really don't dig the TT either, but the Rocker 30's kick ass, as do the AD30's.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Roc8995
I for one am really surprised that you played the Tiny Terror and Rocker next to each other and decided that the TT was even a viable option. Did you get a chance to play it at a decent volume?

I ask because I absolutely couldn't stand the Tiny Terror's OD tone. Played at higher volumes it was painfully obvious how much better the Rocker (Or AD30, by the way, if you haven't looked at it yet) is.

I had the tiny terror with the gain about 2 o clock and the volume about 10 o clock. I really liked it, but do you think I'd be better getting the rocker? considering the style I play and everything?
Don't judge your decision soley on gigging and band practice volumes, that TT can keep up just fine. That being said, if you were to go with the TT I've heard that the combos sort of suck. So get yourself the head and a nice cab.
Overall though, as an all-around combo amp, go for the Rocker
Pot
Kettle
Black
Yes, the Rocker is well suited to those styles. You might want to look into an attenuator if you're worried about bedroom practice. Right around 10 o'clock on the volume the Rocker starts to get really meaty and fat sounding, which is great for playing with a band but is probably more than you'll be able to get away with at home.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, the Rocker is well suited to those styles. You might want to look into an attenuator if you're worried about bedroom practice. Right around 10 o'clock on the volume the Rocker starts to get really meaty and fat sounding, which is great for playing with a band but is probably more than you'll be able to get away with at home.

the only thing that nags me about attenuators is the price. what about an od pedal? a tubescreamer or something? would that get me the same sort of pushed tubes sound at a manageable level
It won't be quite the same, but if an attenuator is out of reach it a good OD should make the amp usable at lower volumes. One of the reasons the amp sounds good louder like that is the power tubes starting to saturate, which you won't get unless you have the volume up.

You can look into Weber attenuators, they're quite a bit cheaper than the Hotplates. I'm not sure how much shipping from the US will add but it might be something to check out.
Quote by Roc8995
It won't be quite the same, but if an attenuator is out of reach it a good OD should make the amp usable at lower volumes. One of the reasons the amp sounds good louder like that is the power tubes starting to saturate, which you won't get unless you have the volume up.

You can look into Weber attenuators, they're quite a bit cheaper than the Hotplates. I'm not sure how much shipping from the US will add but it might be something to check out.

Okay, thanks. I was just looking at some and the mini mass says '25W'. does that mean only for 25W amps? im confused by this, I don't know much about them
Yes, that means it can handle 25 watts. They do recommend that you add 50% of your amp's wattage as a buffer, so with the Rocker 30 you'd want a 50 watt attenuator.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, that means it can handle 25 watts. They do recommend that you add 50% of your amp's wattage as a buffer, so with the Rocker 30 you'd want a 50 watt attenuator.

ah, okay. thanks a lot.
Quote by Roc8995
It does, but it doesn't have an extension speaker jack.

what is the difference? and could i still connect any attenuator then?
Yes, you can connect an attenuator. You'd run a speaker cable from the amp to the attenuator to the cable connected to the speaker.

An extension jack is for hooking up extra speaker cabs.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, you can connect an attenuator. You'd run a speaker cable from the amp to the attenuator to the cable connected to the speaker.

An extension jack is for hooking up extra speaker cabs.

ah okay. i was just wondering because you can't see it on any pictures, so where abouts is it? so when you plug a cable into the speaker out, does it disconnect the speaker so you can put the attenuator between the amp and the speaker?
Well, the speaker out is the only output from the amp. It's connected with a cable directly to the speaker, so when you disconnect it the speaker is no longer connected to anything. Then you'd take the cable that's attached to the speaker and connect it to the output of the attenuator. If you're looking on the Weber website, it's like the amp head + cab configuration, except with the combo it's just all in one box and the speaker has a cable already connected.

The jack is on the back of the amp, kind of up and inside above the speaker. If you had the amp in front of you it would be easy to find, you just can't see it in pictures because it's behind the back panel.

Edit: you can see the speaker cable in this photo.
so i'd plug that little cable you can see there into the attenuator and then run another cable from the attenuator to the speaker out jack?
So I'm curious. How would you decide that "Orange is the amp for me" without deciding which model?
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
So I'm curious. How would you decide that "Orange is the amp for me" without deciding which model?

By wondering if you need an amp more suited to low volume or high volume
Perfectly reasonable IMO, the Rocker is one hell of a loud amp.

Roc, would this be okay? I'm looking at a Rocker 30 at the moment as well.

EDIT: The 50W one.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Last edited by SimplyBen at Jan 10, 2010,
Orange isn't the only manufacturer of lower wattage tube amps.

Not saying she's being unreasonable. I'm just trying to get some background on her decision thus far.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Whats the word on the dual terror? Looks like the extra channel is lots improved over the tiny terrors distortion. And it doesnt take much to get a better clean tone than the rocker.

^Aha, Vox Night Train would probably win. Egnater rebel 20/30 too.
shouldn't your comparison be between a rocker and dual terror? There's a pretty big price gap between the rocker30 and the tt.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Orange isn't the only manufacturer of lower wattage tube amps.

Not saying she's being unreasonable. I'm just trying to get some background on her decision thus far.

Fair point. Also, apologies if I came across as a dick I didn't mean to

I would quite like to see a shootout between the Dual Terror & Rocker 30. Or actually see a Dual Terror for that matter...
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by ConfederateAxe

Because i like both amps but the rocker 30 is more expensive and louder, so i wasn't sure.