Hi all,

Just wanted some advice on my problem. I purchased a new acoustic and realized that when barring while making an F the B and E strings are muted. This only happens on the first fret. I suspect its the guitar, because I've been playing for a while and never had this problem. I figured it might be the strings, so I lowered to a pair of Lights, but that didn't help the problem. I went into the guitar shop and tried other guitars... no problems there. This happens no matter how hard or how high/low I place my index finger. Any suggestions?
get another guitar, and if you have the same problem... get another one.

keep upi this routine untill you find one that works
its probably your hand strength. the first fret is always hard to bar. i have had this problem too. just keep practicing and youll get it .
THIS IS MY SIG. BE JEALOUS.
Last edited by salrap10 at Jan 10, 2010,
If you can fret the B an E strings individually at the same places you would while doing an F barre chord, it's not the guitar's problem. It's your fretting.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
No.

Can you do what I previously stated? As in, can you individually fret each string at the same spot as if you played F?
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
I had the same problem with a guitar I bought, but could barre perfect anywhere else on the guitar. I also could fret an F fine.
I bought a new guitar and ... never had a problem again.
They kept telling it was me also ... that I wasn't doing it right.
Also told me I wasn't applying enough pressure.... when still I could do it on any other guitar.

Myself personally would go with lighter string to see if that helps. If that doesn't work have a guitar tech look at it. What brand is the guitar?
It's a Takamine G Series 333, I just put on some Light strings from medium, did not work

captivate, I can individually fret each string
Quote by topherjfox
It's a Takamine G Series 333, I just put on some Light strings from medium, did not work

captivate, I can individually fret each string

Maybe its a different neck width, therefore you lost for a few millimeters your pressure for each string.
if you can do this on other guitars, it's very possible that this guitar needs a setup. it could also be that it has a longer scale than others you've tried, which would mean higher string tension. one last thought - not all strings in the same scale are as easy to play. i find martin unwound strings stiffer than d'addarios. or it could be that the narrower neck of the takamine is too tight for you - it's too tight for me to play comfortably.

btw, action is not lowered via the truss rod. it's lowered by having the nut and/or saddle lowered from very fine sanding or filing. this is not a job to do yourself unless you have patience and follow directions extremely well.
Quote by captivate
No.

Can you do what I previously stated? As in, can you individually fret each string at the same spot as if you played F?

Do this before doing anything drastic like getting a new guitar. Try to just play the frets individually, if they aren't muted, then yes it is your fretting.