After realising thatr I don´t like either vypyr or spider, I'm thinkig of turning to the blackstar combo, here is my question, can it achieve metal tones?(like trivium,slipknot,maiden)
Which Blackstar combo? The 45 or the HT-5?

The 45 will do metal afaik, the HT-5 will need a boost.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
i was looking at blackstar amps last night( online not in person unfortunetly) but i never seen an example of a heavy type distortion. All the amps sounded really nice, i really want to go try one out but utntill then all i can say is try thier tube distortion pedals cause they are all amazing and really highly reconmended by everyone i know who has one.
if you were looking at blckstar have a look at marshall as blackstars are effectivly marshalls the ht-5 will do metal on its own distortino but it will not get into the shredding region, little is know about the ht 20, 45, 60 and 100but more will be known by the end of the month after namm, i don't know about the artisan but the series one will deffinetly do metal i believe they are based on the marshall jcm 800 and 900
Quote by britishsligean
if you were looking at blckstar have a look at marshall as blackstars are effectivly marshalls...

i don't know about the artisan but the series one will deffinetly do metal i believe they are based on the marshall jcm 800 and 900
There isn't anything in all of your post that's correct.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
There isn't anything in all of your post that's correct.

I was thinking the same thing while reading that response.
If you want to do Slipknot, you’ll either need a boost or just a distortion pedal. Boost if you can get away with playing loud, distortion if you need to keep the volume down.
Quote by britishsligean
if you were looking at blckstar have a look at marshall as blackstars are effectivly marshalls the ht-5 will do metal on its own distortino but it will not get into the shredding region, little is know about the ht 20, 45, 60 and 100but more will be known by the end of the month after namm, i don't know about the artisan but the series one will deffinetly do metal i believe they are based on the marshall jcm 800 and 900

fail
1.Blackstar=/= Marshall
2. HT-5 really needs a boost for metal
3. shredding actually needs equal/less gain than metal tbh
4. the lower wattage artisan series are based around classic Vox amps such as the AC15 and AC30 with added modern features. No idea about the 100.
Quote by ch0

sorry, HT-5
Quote by tasanhalas
sorry, HT-5

read above then
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by ch0

A boost pedal or a distortion pedal?I wont be playing loud, its for bedroom basically.
I know everybody hates it, but I have a Mt-2
The Blackstar Series One (combo, 100-watt or 200-watt head) can certainly do metal tones well. The Artisan is more of a classic rock amplifier. It has no master volume and the 100-watt head through the matching 4x12 cabinet that I tried was freakishly loud. You would definitely need a power attenuator to get that thing to overdrive.

If you want a pedal to go with your amp and are looking for metal tones, then by all means get a metal-oriented distortion box. There are dozens of them and just as many opinions on which ones are good and which ones sound like howler monkeys defecating on a family of chipmunks. Decide for yourself which one(s) you like.
HT5 + bad monkey + DECENT! EQ pedal = your metal tone
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by britishsligean

this is unacceptably wrong.
1. first off, no they are not marshalls. not anything like a marshall at all. that's like saying that vox is basically traynor. its ****in wrong. Blackstars are not comparable to any one brand, more of a combo of different voicings, not a specific brand.
2. A lot is known about the ht 20, 45, 60, and 100.
3. its not based on a JCM at all, nevermind the 800 and 900.
4. THEY ARE NOT BUDGET MARSHALLS.
5. HT-5 needs a boost for the more br00tal metal styles. Its a rhythm level drive, not a lead level.
6. shredding does not require any overdrive at all. you could shred on a crystal clean channel if you want. its all down to taste.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
THEY ARE NOT BUDGET MARSHALLS.

You got that right. And considering how much the Artisans and Series Ones cost, they aren't budget anything.
I'm not sure if the fail-factor of britishsligean's post is outweighed by the correctness of others or not yet.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by britishsligean

Why do I facepalm at every one of your posts?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by tasanhalas
A boost pedal or a distortion pedal?I wont be playing loud, its for bedroom basically.
I know everybody hates it, but I have a Mt-2

If you have serious volume limits you’ll probably be better off with a distortion pedal. Heavy gain on the HT-5 really needs to hit at least nine o’clock to sound good. That still isn’t too loud, but it’s loud enough that it will be a problem in an apartment. OTOH, if you’re just playing in a stand-alone house and trying to not blast your ears out you might be ok using an overdrive.
Quote by FatalGear41
You got that right. And considering how much the Artisans and Series Ones cost, they aren't budget anything.

the artisan 30 head costs MORE than a 1987x reissue head if I remember correctly. they are CRAZY expensive lol.