Hi

Ok so I have an Ibanez GSR200 bass guitar and I'm looking for an in-budget amp that will allow me to be heard over two guitars and loud drums.

My budget's around £150. I'm willing to go a little over if necessary.

At the moment I've been playing my bass through a regular electric guitar amp, the Roland Cube 20x, but I need a bigger sound with a higher voltage, so I'm guessing I need an actual bass guitar amp. There have been a couple of questions similar to this, but I'm in the UK and was wondering if anyone else could help me referring to my specific guitar.

The band I'm in play indie-rock, sometimes rock, so I don't need something with an extreme sound, but the reason I'm looking for an amp is because my current regular amp just isn't loud enough.

I will need to be able to add distortion to the sound that comes out every now and again.

Like I said, my budget's around £150 but I'm willing to go a little over if necessary, so I'd appreciate any help thats going. I'd appreciate links being posted if possible, too, but it's no biggie!

Thanks!

~ miss_chatterbox ~
You are going to have to hit about 200W at the bare minimum to compete in a practice situation with two guitarists and a drummer. And that depends on the wattage of the guitar amps as well.

On that budget, used is going to be your best bet. You may be able to land a decent used Ashdown or Hartke at that price.
I think the laney amps will give u the most watts for ur money without compramising on tone...then theres the behringer amps...these will give the most power but im not sure if they're any good
Avoid Behringer. You can use the search function for more info on why, but short story--overrated on power, bad QA and horrible warranty repairs situation.
Quote by anarkee
Avoid Behringer. You can use the search function for more info on why, but short story--overrated on power, bad QA and horrible warranty repairs situation.
+1.

I was going to suggest Acoustic, but they're American and I think they're hard to get a hold of in the UK.

Also, this is off topic, but amp power is rated in watts, not volts. Here's a good reference to explain the difference between amperes (amps), watts, volts, and ohms: http://www.howstuffworks.com/question501.htm.

They all are pretty dependent on each other (for example, there is an inverse relationship between resistance (ohms) and current (amps), when the voltage is a constant).
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Get £200 and you can buy a second hand ashdown mag combo from basschat or ebay
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
In addition to the above, try looking for a Marshall MB150 - it has a 'classic' channel for a bit of distortion. They're about £300 new, but some dealers might let them go for a lot less. Secondhand values should be well within range tho'.
You could do worse than get the 500 watt Ashdown Little Giant for a few pound more.
I have the 1000 watt Little Giant which at 4 ohms kicks plenty of power.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Thanks for all your replies!

I know my budget's pretty difficult to work around, so I appreciate the help!

So I checked out all of the amps and I think going with my budget, the ashdown five fifteen sounds like the best bet. It's a great price for me and looks pretty decent so thanks EuBoat

If it turns out I can't get hold of the ashdown i'll look into peavey's and laney's.

Thanks again!

~ miss_chatterbox ~
what ive been told, if you can get your hands on a fairly good Ashdown, your set and wont need replacing.
Yet another Ashdown user, +1 for Ashdowns, they are great value for money, have a great tone and great reliability.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Quote by Spaz91
2nd hand Ashdown, Kustom or Acoustic.

There are some great secondhand deals around which usualy work out at around half retail price.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn