Quote by tenfold
Using a metronome? It depends what you practice. Try the Rock Discipline stuff in my signature, I guarantee it will improve your technique.

doing 1 excercise from tempo 40 - 65 took me 3 days
and i want to go till i reach atleast 130 (a triplet pattern)
how many different excercises should i take? 3? 4?
If it took you three days, you probably need to work on your overall independence and dexterity.
Once again, try the stuff in http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8028331298186612048&ei=0NQdS8ygE5OorQL-oMywDA
Quote by Ibarshall_X
doing 1 excercise from tempo 40 - 65 took me 3 days
and i want to go till i reach atleast 130 (a triplet pattern)
how many different excercises should i take? 3? 4?

It will take as long as it takes, just run as many different exercises and learn as much music as you can, you'll get there if you practice well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
so wht u all are saying is that practicing that way only effects the lick that im practicing
in other words i have to do absolutely every shred pattern i am ever going to use and learn em like that? thts just honky dory xD
Quote by tenfold
If it took you three days, you probably need to work on your overall independence and dexterity.

im sorry i dont follow
wht do u mean?
Quote by Ibarshall_X
so wht u all are saying is that practicing that way only effects the lick that im practicing
in other words i have to do absolutely every shred pattern i am ever going to use and learn em like that? thts just honky dory xD

No, I'm saying that you should just practice and when you get there you get there, the intervening time is there whether you choose to practice just that or everything you can.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Ibarshall_X

Yes.

Quote by Ibarshall_X
im sorry i dont follow
wht do u mean?

Do the stuff in the video, for the last time. There's not some magic secret we can give you. Your finger muscles need to work independently from eachother (most people who don't have this flick the wrist). Once they can, it will be a lot easier to pick up any foreign pattern.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ&p=FA239CA8EF73CEC9&index=3
Quote by tenfold
Yes.

Do the stuff in the video, for the last time. There's not some magic secret we can give you. Your finger muscles need to work independently from eachother (most people who don't have this flick the wrist). Once they can, it will be a lot easier to pick up any foreign pattern.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvhZ80OsuTQ&p=FA239CA8EF73CEC9&index=3

ok so the 1-2-3-4 pattern that Petrucci shows
i should do it from a slow tempo to my goal tempo...and it will improve my overall technique?