Just got my first fretless bass. It's a beautiful carvin. I will post pics later.

I normally use daddario xls on my fretted basses. Do I need to use flatwounds on the fretless to protect the neck? I've read this in multiple places.

What kind of strings can I use, and what are some that are highly recommended?
If it's a rosewood fingerboard, it's a good idea to go with flatwounds. Roundwounds will eat at the soft wood. If you have something like ebonol, you have nothing to worry about.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jan 10, 2010,
It depends if it's finished or not. If it's unfinished go with flats, however if it's finished it doesn't really matter. If you are using flats I recommend D'Addario chromes or especially Rotosound RS77s.
If it is a Carvin, then it probably has an ebony fretboard. If you aren't doing a lot of slap, then roundwound strings will do just fine. And you could always use groundwounds, which are in-between strings.
I'm a wood noob. I know the neck is maple, but as for the fretboard I am not sure. It is very dark, almost black. I think it might be ebony? Here is a grainy picture. Terrible lighting :O

And thanks for the help

definitely looks like ebony, but from that picture, it could be rosewood or ebanol or even wenge
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
I think you're overplaying the durability of an unfinished ebony board played with roundwounds. You're still taking a large risk in having to refinish the board after only a relatively short time. My response remains the same; if it's unfinished go flats. That said, getting a board finished isn't expensive/that hard to do yourself.