Does anyone know whether this is actually any good? I've spotted one on eBay for £300 and I'd quite like an Explorer for the sake of it. Specs-wise it looks pretty good:

Top: Korina
Configuration: Flat
Body: Maple
Binding: Ivoroid
Neck: Maple (Set Neck)
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Radius: 14 1/2
Inlays: Dot
Scale Length: 24 3/4
Neck Pickup: Seymour Duncan 59
Middle Pickup: N/A
Bridge Pickup: Seymour Duncan JB
Controls: 2-Volumes,1-Tone
Switch: 3-Way Toggle
Bridge: TOM, Stop Tailpiece
Tuners: Chrome Hamer

What interests me the most is the fact it comes with a 59/JB pup-set, which, correct me if I'm wrong, retail new for around £100 for the pair.

Thanks.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Hamer makes nice stuff. for that price i'm guessing that its an import with a pickup upgrade. now if its a US made one then the price is a major steal but i doubt it is.
Certain its not a USA Hamer - if it was I wouldn't even bother, but what are the imports like? To be honest, you could almost buy it, rip out the pups and sell it on for a profit with some stock pups from another guitar.

Edit: Just looked more closely at the images - Indonesian made with SD pups. Still, are they any good?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Last edited by Hidden Hippo at Jan 10, 2010,
the explorer style imports (Hamer Standard) go for about $600 in the states new but don't have actual SD but usually Duncan Design pups. they are good guitars and i personally like them.
So in short, its not a bad deal, particularly with upgraded pups.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
That's the one. The other alternative I've come up with is an Epiphone Goth (mixed reviews) or an ESP FX-260, which doesn't have the normal explorer headstock but the finish is so incredibly good looking. The other downside to the latter, other than price, is the pickups are the EMG-ESP ones rather than a set of Sds.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
I have been looking at the Hamer Explorers for about a year now. I bought a Hamer V and want an Explorer in the same exact color. All the ones I have looked at are under $300.00 US I paid $275.00 for my V and it's absolutely mint so that all I will pay for the Explorer.

The Hamer Explorers are made very good I was very impressed with the quality and playability. The only thing I am not crazy about is the Duncan Designed pups. My V has them and even though they sound decent they really feed back like hell.

With the Duncan pick ups in that are in the one you are looking at it sound like a good deal. Have you played it yet? I say play it and see how you like it. Then buy it! LOL

This is the V I have:
http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=960

This is the Explorer I want to go with it:
http://www.hamerguitars.com/?fa=detail&mid=394

Great guitars IMHO

John
Last edited by johnro6659 at Jan 10, 2010,
Annoyingly I can't play them - would just be an eBay suck it and see thing (worked with my RG, but then again I love RG necks). The only thing that bothers me is that the FX-260 is so good looking in spalted maple, much nicer than Korina, but the pups aren't as good and its £70 more.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
All the ones I have played are pretty consistent. I wouldn't have a problem buying one online myself if I had to and I probably will get my Hamer Explorer online.

John
Am I right in saying the Alder body on the Hamer will have a slightly brighter tone than the ESP with a mahogany body? Which would be better for Metallica style metal?
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Sounds liek a good deal, the imports are really nice anyway, ive played afew import hamers and they are pretty consistent and really nice to play with the stock pups being quite nice in their own right
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs