i got an old crate G60 XL from a friend, the problem is the volume knob doesnt increase volume constantly, volume goes up but sometimes i get bursts of very loud sound. im thinking the pot needs to be replaced, i tried wd-40 like many people suggested, that only helped with the crackling but not with the bursts of sound. any advice would be great thanks!
Yes the pot more than likely needs replaced. As an Electrical Engineer I can tell you that WD-40 is the last thing you should have used in that knob. Next time use contact cleaner. WD-40 destroys the wiper inside the knob, and will also attract dust because it's oily.
Definitly what mydian said..

WD-40 is one of the worst products ever made, in my opinion. I can't think of many GOOD uses for it.

Contact cleaner next time!
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
Definitly what mydian said..

WD-40 is one of the worst products ever made, in my opinion. I can't think of many GOOD uses for it.

Contact cleaner next time!

I think WD-40 is awesome, has tons of uses. maybe not for cleaning pots, but it's good for other stuff.