COBHC912
955 IQ
what scales are being used by him ? i knw dorian, but anything else?

is there any site that will help me improvise own solo with that mode ?
michal23
=D
3,221 IQ
The Mysteriolydian #8th scale. Legend has it he travelled to Bhutan where he was taught it by The Artaakh himself.

Serious answer: There is no single scale, or even bunch of scales, that will make you sound remotely like John Petrucci.
evolucian
682 IQ
As far as I know... he uses "all" the scales... However, if you want a site that can give you the basics of a jam track with a mode, try this one... modal jam trax

It may not be the type of backtrack you looking for concerning style... but you can let rip on any one of them. Enjoy, I hope it helps.
Last edited by evolucian at Jan 10, 2010,
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
He uses anything.

If you truly want to master his style, learn some theory on voiceleading diatonically and with accidentals.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
griffRG7321
Theory buff
999 IQ
Mixolydian b2b6X3 and descending its the half whole diminished scale with a chromatic note between the b2 and b3.
Alter-Bridge
Is Enchanted to meet you
795 IQ
The chromatic scale.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Heminator89
471 IQ
He uses a lot of things that are beyond ****ing imagination. I've seen him use crazy arpeggios and various modes. But the real thing that bugs me is how does he make those chromatic scales sound SO good?
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
Quote by Heminator89
He uses a lot of things that are beyond ****ing imagination. I've seen him use crazy arpeggios and various modes. But the real thing that bugs me is how does he make those chromatic scales sound SO good?

I refer back to my post as well

It's about voiceleading and accenting.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
freakstylez
The New Guy
411 IQ
And lest we forget the most important advice of all:

USE YOUR EAR!
evolucian
682 IQ
Quote by Heminator89
But the real thing that bugs me is how does he make those chromatic scales sound SO good?

Simply put... it would be the speed that he rips thru it at. The other part is... the start and end are both target notes which emphasise the chords at that time. It is remarkable how he gets it right live, regardless of the studio recordings.

If you go through Petrucci's lessons via old Guitar World magazines (that is, if any of you were born yet when they were in there)... his underlying points never mentioned is his target notes. Point A to Point B... lets whizz thru this to get there. The time of his columns, I think (I also could be way off the mark on this one)... was during the releases of Awake thru to Falling to Infinity.

Of course... if you want an easier access to the columns.. he did put the majority of them in the Wild Stringdom book and one or two in the Rock Discipline book (not the dvd). This is a suggestion only... and mostly for those still struggling to come to grips with Petrucci. If you are already a proficient player... it could be looked on as an overview, lol. Enjoy
Last edited by evolucian at Jan 11, 2010,
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
Quote by evolucian
Simply put... it would be the speed that he rips thru it at. The other part is... the start and end are both target notes which emphasise the chords at that time. It is remarkable how he gets it right live, regardless of the studio recordings.

If you go through Petrucci's lessons via old Guitar World magazines (that is, if any of you were born yet when they were in there)... his underlying points never mentioned is his target notes. Point A to Point B... lets whizz thru this to get there. The time of his columns, I think (I also could be way off the mark on this one)... was during the releases of Awake thru to Falling to Infinity.

Of course... if you want an easier access to the columns.. he did put the majority of them in the Wild Stringdom book and one or two in the Rock Discipline book (not the dvd). This is a suggestion only... and mostly for those still struggling to come to grips with Petrucci. If you are already a proficient player... it could be looked on as an overview, lol. Enjoy

Mehhh, remarkable :P

It's not hard to end on target notes if written out.

And it's indeed the speed...

Not only does he end on target notes, he often accents target notes through his runs in patterns.

If you learn some of his stuff, and play it urself, you will see it more clearly how it works.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 11, 2010,
Eggmond
Otherwise Known as Eggy
2,548 IQ
he uses secret notes that normal guitarists cant play
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
Quote by Eggmond
he uses secret notes that normal guitarists cant play

Actually, he plays just the pentatonic scale, but he plays so fast that the pitch of notes changes, and just calls it chromatics.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Eggmond
Otherwise Known as Eggy
2,548 IQ
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Actually, he plays just the pentatonic scale, but he plays so fast that the pitch of notes changes, and just calls it chromatics.

oh yea i forgot hes able to warp space time with his awesome speed
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial