I have recently gotten an interest in getting a distorted bass tone. Can anyone tell me what player(s) use not only a distorted tone, but one that is also on the clear side. A tone that is dirty, but lets the individual notes stand out?
Arif from Protest the Hero uses a touch of distortion that sounds really nice. Take a listen to Bloodmeat and you'll see what I'm on about.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
Arif from Protest the Hero uses a touch of distortion that sounds really nice. Take a listen to Bloodmeat and you'll see what I'm on about.
But you're forgetting that a large part of his tone is a direct effect of his godly power.
Uhhh...Me lol. But yeah the guy from Protest the Hero and Hennka T. Blacksmith from Children of Bodom.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Chris W. from Muse uses tons of effects in their songs, using an Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff for the distortion/fuzz. He sometimes adds synth pedals and overdrive pedals to the Big Muff as well. I know he used an Akai Deep Impact Bass Synth(discontinued now) on a few tracks, "Time is Running Out" for example. For overdrive, I've read that he uses Boss. Whether that's just a normal Boss Overdrive, or the Boss Bass Overdrive, I'm unsure of.
Try messing around with EQ settings on your amp too, that can sometimes add a little bit of a punch especially to your mids.
Gear:
Palmer 4-String Electric
Palmer 4-String Acoustic
Orange Terror Bass 500 head
Orange OBC115 cab
M-Audio KeyRig 49
I love Arif and all, but how the heck is his tone "clear"? He has like the muddiest, jumbled piece of tone. Burgugurfurfugbuufgb fbugbudbfgu. Somehow his tapping has that clean aspect to it, but the regular playing is for sure muffly.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1
I love Arif and all, but how the heck is his tone "clear"? He has like the muddiest, jumbled piece of tone. Burgugurfurfugbuufgb fbugbudbfgu. Somehow his tapping has that clean aspect to it, but the regular playing is for sure muffly.
His tapping kind of reminds me of synth, or at least his part towards the end of Bloodmeat.
Quote by herby190
But you're forgetting that a large part of his tone is a direct effect of his godly power.

That indeed is quite the conundrum.

Quote by lordofthefood1

That's more of a problem with the mixing live and in the studio, not his actual tone, per say. Tbh you're not going to get a 'crisp clear' distorted tone, its going to get lost in the mix a little bit, depending on the amount of distortion added, and the genre that you're playing.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Thanks for all the input, I'll check this stuff out. I'll try out a Big Muff too!
Quote by fleajr_1412
That indeed is quite the conundrum.

That's more of a problem with the mixing live and in the studio, not his actual tone, per say. Tbh you're not going to get a 'crisp clear' distorted tone, its going to get lost in the mix a little bit, depending on the amount of distortion added, and the genre that you're playing.

but his tone is still muffled anyway..

and TS, a big muff can get you that tone, if you like it, but it won't be a crisp distortion (well, it could be if you find the absolute sweet spot, but I've found every muff I've used to give me just that, a muff sound).
Now say his name.....
Quote by Fozzie3000
anything by death from above 1979 or lightning bolt, their sounds are just epic

Yeah but the guy from DFA used a Rick and a Guitar head

It was trebletastic
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I run my jazz through my Marshall MG whenever I'm in the mood for distortion.
Here's the funny thing... It doesn't sound half bad.

I guess I finally figured out what that thing is good for, other than being a cumbersome paperweight.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by ChemicalFire
Yeah but the guy from DFA used a Rick and a Guitar head

It was trebletastic

nah, I was under the impression he used an old peavy head and changed the cones in the speaker cabs.....there was a massive article about it years ago which i can't for the life of me find or remember

either way, its awesome

in respects to lightning bolt, there is a wiki entry about what pedals he uses, standard boss ones i think along with banjo strings, check them out for their type of sound, its a bit full on
I was under the impression that he biamped, one to an old Acoustic and the other to some different amp (I was going to type Peavey,but I don't remember)
Now say his name.....
Just a basic tip for when you do get your pedal or whatever, keep the mids down. Mids especially low mids will make the sound muffled. I usually use a lot of highs, high-mids, and then bring some lows so that I can have a huge bottom. Also the volume on your guitar can make a big difference in the overall sound when it comes to distortion.