I've been considering selling my Gibson CS 1959 VOS LP for a while now. Considering how I play, what I play and how frequently I play, I can't really justify it anymore. In the last six months I've gone from playing it every day to hardly touching it, in fact I've not even taken it out the case for almost two weeks now. It's not that it's a bad guitar - it's not, it's flawless - just that my style of playing has changed since I bought it some year-and-a-half ago and how seriously I take my playing has changed (i.e. I'm no longer quite as driven, it's much more of a casual hobby now). As it is I don't think I can justify having this guitar, it really belongs in the hands of someone who is going to use it properly each day. I love her but she deserves better, so to speak.

I've had it evaluated and I'm told I should expect to get about two and a half grand for it. I was going to put that money into a decent ESP MH guitar and save the rest for a rainy day, when I saw THIS had just come in.
I've been in love with white/gold LP Customs for years. I was born in 1987 and have always wanted to own a decent guitar from that year. Izzy Stradlin' has probably had more of an influence than anyone else on my playing as I typically play hard rock rhythm with a faint blues-rock undertone. The asking price is dead-on the selling value of my Gibson, so it'd be a direct trade. The upside of it is it ticks a lot of desires; it's got the white Custom finish I love, it's from 1987 and it was played by one of my favourite and most influential guitarists. The downside is 80's Gibsons are infamously poorly made and this would have been a production model, compared to my Custom Shop model. Also, it's just trading one LP for another, and given one of the reasons I'm thinking of selling my current Gibson is because I'm starting to feel I need something a little more modern than an LP, replacing it with another LP won't get me very far.

So the question is, do I? So far four of my friends say I should, three are saying I shouldn't. I'm giving U-G the eighth vote to potentially either even up the votes or completely sway it to one side. V&R aren't open until Tuesday and I told 'em I'd be making a decision about selling my Gibson (though not buying this one) by then, so that's about the timeline I have, two days or so to mull it over.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
you like izzy stadlin...would i but john frusciantes guitar...of course i would

that mean YES YOU SHOULD
I'd go for it that thing looks sweet, surely you can always buy a low priced modern guitar in the end.
a poll would work great on here
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
fo shizzle
its not costing you anything plus youd be owning something played by your rock idol, whats more awesome than that?
Quote by thycrusader
a poll would work great on here
I meant to put one up. But. Eh.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
definitely. 100%. you mentioned you don't play as much now. well, thisll stay in pristine condition then. get it if not to play it then to show it off. Izzy has played this guitar. like one guy said before about frusciante: if this guitar had been owned by my idol (in my case, someone like johnny marr or Angus young or something) and I had a guitar that equalled it in value, hell yeah I'd swap it!!
(L) R.I.P FoREVer (L)
My main two concerns, I'd just like to reiterate:
  • In terms of build quality, it's not as good as my current LP. This is basically just a production model guitar, and on top of that an 80's one which were famous for being badly made. I've yet to try it but even now I can safely say that the basic build quality and materials aren't going to be as good, in terms of actual playing and tone it can only be a downgrade.
  • Part of the reason I'm thinking of getting rid of my current LP is because a traditional-style LP doesn't suit what I play anymore, my playing has changed and the few times an LP does fit in I've already got an Epiphone sat there which is 'good enough' for the rare times I need that kind of sound. The other guitars I'm looking at replacing my LP with are ESP super-Strats with Floyd Rose bridges - obviously, an LP Custom with a Bigsby doesn't help advance me in this way, if anything it will be even more inappropriate for my current playing.

I'm not surprised that so far everyone is in favour of buying it. My gut reaction to hearing about it, before I'd even seen the pictures, was that I need to have this guitar. But when I actually stop and think about it, logically it doesn't make any sense to do. So yeah. Still deciding. Starting to sway more towards buying it but it's still a little iffy.

EDIT: a friend has pointed out one large upside to the Stradlin' LP: even if I decide a week, a month, a year, five years down the line that it really isn't for me and I do need a super-Strat or whatever after all, this guitar will still be worth the same money then as it is now. So even if I buy it and decide to sell it again, I'll have only lost time, I can't lose money on it. Makes it very tempting.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jan 10, 2010,
Personally I'd say no. I mean I can certainly see the appeal, I'd love to own a guitar one of my idols played. But from the sounds of it it's going to be a downgrade while costing the same as your current guitar. Doesn't sound like a good deal to me. That would be enough to persuade me not to, then add in the fact you're considering a different style of guitar and I wouldn't do it.

If you can play it first then you'd be in a much better position to decide, you might play it and love it.
That's a tough one. I don't know I think I'd be in the boat of undecided-ness as you. I always have to justify any guitar related or big purchases.
I take it you'll have the chance to play it?
On what you've said though so fair I'd probably go for it.

I've always wanted a great guitar from the same year for the same reasons as you... one day.
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Go there with your Les Paul. Play Izzy's. It seems like your main concern is over the quality of an 80's Les Paul, so if it's good, sell your Les Paul for it. If in a few months you don't like it, sell it on eBay to some GnR nut for a few thousand quid and buy a new Les Paul.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Last edited by necrosis1193 at Jan 10, 2010,
flibble, you`ve given a lot of great advice in respect to pickups and tone, providing it`s authenticity checkout, the only thing thats going to swing it for you is what your ears tell you, and what`s to say it`s not been a wall trophy for the last 20 years....don`t give a load of prepubescent fanboys the deciding vote...2.5K is a lot of cash to gamble with.
It´s izzy stradlin´s guitar.
It´d probably have jizz in the cavities and axl´s panties stuck in ther somewhere.

The point is:
It was previously owned by some famous guy.
In terms of playability you could get a cheaper guitar that plays better than this.
But if you admire that guy, why not?
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Don't do it. You're selling your LP because you don't play it. Buying another LP is very counter-productive. You're not getting anything out of the Izzy Stradlin LP except a conversation piece. That's probably all you're getting out of your LP Custom right now. You want a practical playing instrument. The ESP would be a much better value because you'll actually play it.
i like it a lot. the value can't go down, and in my mind there are few guitars classier than a white les paul with binding. but YOU should be the deciding vote. go and play it. if you can tell why he got rid of the guitar in the first place then maybe it's a bad buy if it feels as good as your current LP then i say go for it 100%.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
It looks like a fine guitar and with proper documentation, it will always be worth a premium to GNR fans. How do you feel about the refitted Bigsby?
Quote by FatalGear41
How do you feel about the refitted Bigsby?
This will be an interesting one. I've no problem with the guitar being modded (most of my guitars are modded to the beyond and back), but I've never actually used a guitar with a Bigsby tailpiece for any real length of time. I've toyed with one occasionally here and there but never used one for more than literally just a couple of minutes, let alone owned one. Not because I've noticed anything wrong with them, just that the guitars they tend to be mounted on are usually not my cup of tea to begin with. So it'll be interesting to try out at least, could make or break it for me. The guitar still has the original stopbar studs too so it could be reverted to a normal hardtail if need be, though ironically the reason I started looking at ESP guitars too is because I'm starting to use a Floyd more (yes, even though I'm a rhythm player: see Nightwish)...
You could always get your money back on the Stradlin guitar, but you probly won't get your beloved 59' reissue back. Some time down the road are you going to seriously regret selling your Les Paul? Play the Stradlin guitar and go from there
Flibble, you give the best advice on here like others said. I feel like also stated, your going to regret selling this LP. I think you should sleep on the idea. Maybe for a week. Call the place and reserve the Izzy lp for that week. Go in and play it. And if you still want it, go for it.
Quote by MrFlibble
My main two concerns, I'd just like to reiterate:
  • In terms of build quality, it's not as good as my current LP. This is basically just a production model guitar, and on top of that an 80's one which were famous for being badly made. I've yet to try it but even now I can safely say that the basic build quality and materials aren't going to be as good, in terms of actual playing and tone it can only be a downgrade.
  • Part of the reason I'm thinking of getting rid of my current LP is because a traditional-style LP doesn't suit what I play anymore, my playing has changed and the few times an LP does fit in I've already got an Epiphone sat there which is 'good enough' for the rare times I need that kind of sound. The other guitars I'm looking at replacing my LP with are ESP super-Strats with Floyd Rose bridges - obviously, an LP Custom with a Bigsby doesn't help advance me in this way, if anything it will be even more inappropriate for my current playing.

I'm not surprised that so far everyone is in favour of buying it. My gut reaction to hearing about it, before I'd even seen the pictures, was that I need to have this guitar. But when I actually stop and think about it, logically it doesn't make any sense to do. So yeah. Still deciding. Starting to sway more towards buying it but it's still a little iffy.

EDIT: a friend has pointed out one large upside to the Stradlin' LP: even if I decide a week, a month, a year, five years down the line that it really isn't for me and I do need a super-Strat or whatever after all, this guitar will still be worth the same money then as it is now. So even if I buy it and decide to sell it again, I'll have only lost time, I can't lose money on it. Makes it very tempting.

To be perfectly honest, very little about guitar makes sense as far as I'm concerned

Chris broderick hated playing guitar, he saw it as a chore to have to practice, but he did ... for hours every day.

Whats logical about sitting in a room playing the same lick over and over untill your fingers remember it without you even thinking?

I quit a job where I could have been earning 30 grand a year at 18 years old so I could go to college and play guitar and right now I'm still working at making guitar my living and enjoying my job more than any other I've had.

I don't think guitar has anything to do with logic, just gut feeling and what makes you happy, you can always buy a superstrat or some floyd rose shred machine but it's not everyday you find a guitar with a little bit of history to it that makes it special, if you want it, go for it mate and logic be damned.
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
my god, get it. maybe try and price them down a little? as awesome as it sounds that izzy owned it, it shouldnt add that much of a price tag to it. use that as some dirt on it. but otherwise that thing is beautiful.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Just play the little blighter before committing yourself. Of course 80's Gibsons have a bad reputation, but there's always chances of getting a jem. I can't imagine Izzy buying a naff guitar, after all.

It'd be worth it for sentimentality, however not at all if Izzy wasn't an issue.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Another thing to add, once the economy goes up again it brings the collectors guitar market up with it greatly, in a few years time a celebrity owned guitar like this could easily go up a few grand.
Tommyt makes a lot of sense, the quality of a guitar is entirely subjective. If the guitar feels good and sounds good to you, then it is a good guitar. Don't let logic dictate what you do.
FUC KING BUY IT!!!

Les Pauls are geniunley one of the most versatile guitars ever made imo. If you're looking at Metal playing a Les Paul will do you more than fine hundreds of Metal Guitarists have used LP, James Hetfield, Matt Heafy even the guys from bullet play them. And the build quality thing isn't that big of a deal from the 80's. You can't tell me that every LP Metallica or Guns got in the 80's was a complete POS.
Guitars
Ibanez S470B
Iabez MTM2 w/ Seymoar Duncan Blackouts
Epiphone SG

Amps
Roland Micro Cube

Pedals
Boss MT-2
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
I say go for it man. Guitars that have been gigged for so long must be a decent axe you know? I can't stand keeping a bad axe for a few months let alone the years he probably owned it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Would you believe it!

This is some time after this post, however, why not post a message and see who is still listening in.

I was the lucky one who actually ended up buying this guitar from Vintage and Rare Guitars.

Funnily enough I was also born in 1987- and was looking specifically for guitars from that year at the time. When this came up, being a GNR fan I felt almost obliged to pick it up and hold on to it for a while

I've played it, but only ever at home. It plays well- I think Izzy might have had the pickups altered- it plays more for rhythm than any lead- it doesn't hasn't such an oomph or aggression, there's not much difference between the tone settings (switching between pickups) and oddly, in one mode, when the volume is turned all the way down, it's still hear-able- you get a clean tone as a result without much volume drop.

The finish is stunning (Alpine White)....even with the musty cigarette fumes fused into the lacquer...and the -no doubt- heroin stain marks lingering about it. Izzy has scribed his name across the back with a cigarette- seems he likes to signature his guitars with a cigarette- I've just read about a Strat he signed by stubbing out a cigarette on it next to his signature.
It comes in it's original case- which looks like it's been tossed through a collapsing building during an earthquake. the lock works but the shop didn't know the combination...so guess that won't ever get used again unless someone wants to break into it.

I don't have an urge to sell it, but would like a new valuation of it, was thinking I might be willing to pass it on for the right price to support an MA I'm doing this September!- at least I can say it served as an investment, which is what I bought it for.

The Bigsby addition bugs me actually...I find it a little annoying that this was added (and as a result some of the hardware has been changed to gold)- I couldn't find out if it was added by Izzy himself or after. Vintage&Rare bought it from Norman's Rare Guitars in Tarzana, CA, USA - according to V&R they got it from Izzy direct. Another poster elsewhere mentioned that Izzy handed over a few guitars to Norman's in about 1998/99 ([forbidden link])

In terms of Izzy's use of it...from what I can tell:
Photos show it being used (pre-Bigsby) on the Paradise City video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Rbm6GXllBiw#!
- you can see it popping up a few times (5:48 specifically)

The video was recorded at the Giants Stadium, New Jersey. This gig was the gig they played before playing the Monsters of Rock festival at Donington Park where a boy died after being crushed in the crowd. Without sounding sadistic, I'm assuming this guitar may have been at that gig too, which may well add to the provenance of the guitar.
Like I say the Bigsby is a shame because it takes away what can be seen as original, as seen on the video and photos. I can't seem to find any photos of Izzy using it with the Bigsby- which makes me think it might have been added by someone else- or Izzy did it didn't like, realised there's no going back and thought, what the heck, may as well sell it now.
if you're interested (and if you can view it)..here's a video of me using it- possibly somewhat blasphemously- to play GNR's This I Love

[forbidden link]
How cool!

I'd love to see that video. Is it signed or anything?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I do wonder about the Bigsby.

How much was the guitar when you bought it?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Hi Folks!!! Greetings from Brazil!!! Soon as possible, I'll post some photos of my Gibson Les Paul Custom Black 1989 - bought at the extint Guitar'R'Us, L.A., at 1990, by my brother. Accordlingly to Albert Molinaro, one of G'R'Us owners, this guitar was owned by Izzy Stradlin who selled some of his Gibson Les Paul Custom guitars at the time he was "fired" by The Gun's 'N' Roses. On the Paradise City clip, he uses a G. L. P. guitar - actually, two or three Gibson L.P. Custom guitars, cause it is a compilation of takes recorded alive - that is identical to my Black Beauty. It is a history that I can't prove, but who knows?! Anyway, I like to think that's true!!! In fact, what it matters is: it is a Gibson Les Paul Custom Black and it sounds great, outstanding. If anyone more have informations/histories envolving Gibson Les Paul guitars handed/selled by Izzy Stradlin, please, let's share them!!! Best Regards!!!
I'd have to say "Nah."

I wouldn't trade a better guitar for a worser guitar (I know, it's not a word) simply because the worser guitar was reputed to have been touched by some aging rocker, sorry. That's just fanboi nonsense, IMHO.
ok, just for clarification - TS has a reproduction model 1959? not an original 1959 actually from 1959?

because i would say you are all insane, do not sell.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)