Below is a piece of music I want to play but i'm not sure how to play it:

Usually with chords like this there is a x on the middle string showing that you must mute it, would UG'ers think this is the same or is there some other way to play this?

Thanks in advance.
Legend.
Just mute it as usual with your index finger unless you want to try picking both strings with your thumb and middle finger
i would pick the A string and pluck the G string with my middle finger
i scream for ice cream
looks like something trivium would play
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by MalGanisWL

Depending on the tempo, probably not.
I'm currently working on a system to generate MIDI from the motion of a guitar. More info coming soon.
Quote by GaijinFoot
looks like something trivium would play

or a blink-182 solo. I say this lovingly.

Also, this is guitar pro. Just solo the track and listen to it, then you'll hear how it's supposed to be played. Those are octave power chords, you don't so much play the middle string muted, you just ignore it. You need to mute it, but don't really hit it. I know it sounds hard to do, but it's really not. You strum these with a pick, do not finger pick.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Last edited by Sid McCall at Jan 10, 2010,
Quote by MalGanisWL

wat?
Quote by Sid McCall
or a blink-182 solo. I say this lovingly.

Close its +44 lycanthrope but we all know how the good people of UG love to bash but thanks I know its played with a pick.
Legend.
Quote by Lord_Westwood
Close its +44 lycanthrope but we all know how the good people of UG love to bash but thanks I know its played with a pick.

holy crap totally called that! I feel awesome now haha
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
holy crap totally called that! I feel awesome now haha

haha :p

Then it's definitely played how everyone else said.
Just pick while muting that string, you won't hear it.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by dlguitarmaster7
i would finger pick it. if the composer wanted you to mute the note, it wouldve said so

If a lazy tabber wasn't lazy the X would've been there.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Whenever this happens, I just mute the string in between. I think that there is some kind of technique where you only pick the notes that you are supposed to play, but I think it is much easier to just mute it.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
I thought the X should have been there but I was just making sure =) Thanks again.
Legend.
Quote by ComradSputnik
wat?

He means you are still holding the pick and you use 1 of your other fingers to pluck the octave.

Like in sanitarium where you do the 2 E's. you can hit the low E with your pick and stretch your middle to the high E. Same as fingerpicking but you are holding a pick.

|-----<12>-------2---2-----3-|
|----------<12>-------0-------|
|--------------------------------|
|0------------------------------|

|0------<12>-------------------|-------<12>-----------------|
|-----------<12>---------------|-----------<12>------------|
|--------------------------------|--------------------------------|
|0------------------------------|0-------------------------------|
Play it like a power chord without thinking about muting because the action on my guitar is cool like that.
Quote by mightywarrior
Play it like a power chord without thinking about muting because the action on my guitar is cool like that.

Makes no sense at all but thank you.
Legend.
Just play it with the middle string muted. You're not going to hear the muted string anyways.
Quote by wheelz1045
Just play it with the middle string muted. You're not going to hear the muted string anyways.

That's the way I would play it. A string with index finger, D string muted with index finger and the G string with my pinky
Or you just do finger picking. This sort of chord shapes are called 'ocatves', I think.
Control your destiny.
Last edited by habits at Jan 12, 2010,