I looked but I couldn't find a thread to post this so I'm sorry if it's spam.

I bought an Epi LP a few months back and it has been great. Over time I have noticed the strap button next to the neck of the guitar has been coming loose. I foolishly ignored it and kept screwing it back in again. I was just playing and it has come out completely leaving a big hole with no thread inside for me to screw it back in.

I'm not sure what to do, is it safe for me to drill another similar sized hole next to it? Should I take it to a guitar shop and ask them to do it?

Thanks in advance.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
you could measure it and get a piece of a wooden dowel and glue it in with wood glue. Then drill a new hole.
There's nothing wrong with drilling another hole, as long as you don't mind how it looks.

You can also try shunting the original hole. Break a toothpick or two off in the hole and then screw the strap button in.
I had the same problem. You could just drill a new hole but then you would have a big cosmetic flaw. what I would do is put a toothpick in the hole (so the screw has something to grab onto), Fill the hole full a super strong wood putty (when it dries it will give the screw something to hold and basically glue the screw in place to keep it from falling out), and then just screw the screw back in and let it dry overnight
Put some wood glue in it and then stick a tooth pick or two in the hole. Then let that dry and set and then cut the tooth picks so they are flat with the surface. Then, just screw in your strap pin again (might be kind of tough, but you *probably* won't have to drill, you should be able to just screw it in). And that should fix it.

Same thing happened to my Epi Les Paul after I screwed up installing straplocks in.
Need a website? I can make you one for pretty cheap.
Last edited by Lukesterspy at Jan 10, 2010,
Thanks for the help guys. I'm just glad I don't have to take it to the shop, I'd look quite the fool. I'll come back if I have any issues, thanks again.
"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."

- Ralph Waldo Emerson
wow. glad I didn't go with epi when I got my les paul. Good luck with your fix
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah