when i play all the strings open i get the nice full rich sound but when i try to fret the first 5 or so frets the richness goes away (sorry im not sure how to explain it) but i get the sound back when i go lower on the fretboard i think this is because my strings are too close to the fretboard on the higher frets how can i adjust this on a fender strat.
Unless the strings are actually buzzing against the frets they aren’t too low. I think it’s more likely that either you need to change your strings or you just don’t particularly like the sound of higher notes and should learn to play in lower tunings.
your question is confusing

low frets are 1 to5
high frets 12-22
middle frets 6-12

read the setup sticky thread if you aren`t getting any fret buzz the check the neck relief.
let me go downstairs and il make a quick video showing you what it sounds like i think you will agree it shouldn't sound how it does.
That's your truss rod, i think.

the truss rod is an iron pole inside your neck, to prevent the strings and the neck to create a bow and arrow-effect. If it's adjusted too thight, the neck bends the other way, and the lower frets will be dead, because there's a huge bump in the way of it.

a way to double check this for you is to fret your guitar at the first and the last fret, and take a look at the 7th fret. You should have a very slight spacing, slightly thinner than a credit card. If you've got more, your neck has too much relief, and if it touches down on the 7th fret(we're talking about the actual fret wire here) you've got a back bow, which is what i suspect is your problem.

To adjust this truss rod, which it's named, there's a small allen wrench socket on the top or the bottom of your guitar neck, perhaps under a small cover.

HOWEVER

If, like i suspect you don't ever have heard about this before, I recommend you take this to a guitar store to get it fixed. Worst case scenario if you overthighten the trussrod is that the rod snaps, and your neck gets ****ed up. permanently. Get it to a guitar store and have them fix it for you. It's an easy fix, but don't try this yourself.
Plus, you're never going to get quite the same ring out of the high notes just because there's less string vibrating there. This definitely sounds like a truss rod problem.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Quote by ziggymidget
That's your truss rod, i think.

the truss rod is an iron pole inside your neck, to prevent the strings and the neck to create a bow and arrow-effect. If it's adjusted too thight, the neck bends the other way, and the lower frets will be dead, because there's a huge bump in the way of it.

a way to double check this for you is to fret your guitar at the first and the last fret, and take a look at the 7th fret. You should have a very slight spacing, slightly thinner than a credit card. If you've got more, your neck has too much relief, and if it touches down on the 7th fret(we're talking about the actual fret wire here) you've got a back bow, which is what i suspect is your problem.

To adjust this truss rod, which it's named, there's a small allen wrench socket on the top or the bottom of your guitar neck, perhaps under a small cover.

HOWEVER

If, like i suspect you don't ever have heard about this before, I recommend you take this to a guitar store to get it fixed. Worst case scenario if you overthighten the trussrod is that the rod snaps, and your neck gets ****ed up. permanently. Get it to a guitar store and have them fix it for you. It's an easy fix, but don't try this yourself.

alright well now I know what it is. I know a lot of people in bands who will probably be able to fix it for me for free.